Just hit the jackpot....all the free wood I can take!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay... I gotta ask... exactly WHERE in "Eastern PA"?

<--- needing wood in eastern PA

yes it's because of the hurricane...and i'd shop around and make sure you're not getting hosed. all the UTM companies here in my part of PA are allowed to drop tree limbs and even truck pieces at the mulching center...for free. in turn the mulching centers will grind them up and make nice mulch. so if the price went up because "they have to pay to remove wood" they're full of chit and i'd find another UTM guy to work with. a lot of the UTM companies up this way started gouging people for tree work...and now they're payign the price for it because they've lost customers for life. maybe call around and see...or better yet...spend some cash on a nice big ol chainsaw and cut the stuff up yourself and then put an add in the paper for free firewood. as long as it's not too big of a job it might be the best best.

note: if you know the guys in at the municiple compost centers, they'll let you drive around back to where all the big stuff is dropped and pick it clean for good firewood. i've scored some decent stuff there from time to time...but there are a handful of guys that go back there looking for the good wood to build with...like walnut and such. i've driven back there to find HUGE pieces of black walnut or cherry...12-15 feet long..and 20" in diameter...just sitting there. how's the saying go, "one man's garbage..is another man's gold!"

I think you should take care of your buddy with some free dinners for asking his Boss! Wow,, just think if you never bothered to ask? Good for you! Life just got easier;lol

Reactions: ScotO
Good for you Riggs. Don't forget. Pics, or it didn't happen! ==c

Reactions: ScotO and Redlegs
Most people cringe when they see the amount of nice, clean, straight walnut in my stacks. Word I've received from some local tree guys is that the mills are so overrun, they don't want it. Burn what you've got, eh?

I got my quote in May of last year. I went to three people and this guy was the lowest. One other guy came in at around $6,000.

But I think I am going to get a few new quotes. Its a different ball game after Sandy around here. There is still 1000's of trees uprooted and lying on their sides that nobody is touching.

Okay... I gotta ask... exactly WHERE in "Eastern PA"?

<--- needing wood in eastern PA

That is quite the score Riggs.

+1 on the living in Eastern Pa needing wood. If you are willing to share the score it would be much appreciated!

You suck! I vote to kick you off this forum, and for the love of God ,please dont post any pictures. :)

Reactions: Don Williams
damnit...everybody likes my wife more than me!!! :)

i have no problems at all sharing the score...let me see when i can get some deliveries in and see how well it works out...it'll be more than i'll ever need. once i get what i need processed and set aside i'll post up a message and you local guys would be more than welcome to come out and split up and take away what you can haul. i'm a "pass it on" sort of guy and this deal is just too sweet to hoard all for myself.

Reactions: Ashful
oh and by eastern PA i mean Bethlehem PA

First new boots....then practically free wood.....I am one very jealous man. Great score!

boots are already looking pretty worn....yesterday was busy...C/S/S three cords of Cherry...arms are still hurting this morning :)

i'm jealous of your weather :)

Riggs tell your wife I absolutely love her white feathered capelet!!
I couldnt get away with white feathers for my wedding, though...Id have to go with wild turkey. lol.
Maybe Ivory silk with staghorn buttons.
My head is kinda reeling from your wood score. I think I might be looking for a firewood processor with that volumn of wood.

Put me in the hate Riggs and likes his wife camp ==c
wheres the pics?

damnit...everybody likes my wife more than me!!! :)

i have no problems at all sharing the score...let me see when i can get some deliveries in and see how well it works out...it'll be more than i'll ever need. once i get what i need processed and set aside i'll post up a message and you local guys would be more than welcome to come out and split up and take away what you can haul. i'm a "pass it on" sort of guy and this deal is just too sweet to hoard all for myself.

You are a good man Riggs. Bethlehem is about an hour+ drive for me so I might not be making the trip. I am in Reading. I really appreciate your generosity though. Again congrats on the amazing score.

Hopefully I'll have some pics soon. what we've worked out is that when he's got a job up my way he'll load up the truck and drop before the job...and then drop again with anything he removes from that job. He said he gets upy way once or twice a month... So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Reactions: Ashful
Yeah... 6 cords is a solid weekend of splitting and stacking. Of course, felling, cleaning, bucking, and hauling 6 cords usually takes me at least 3 days, so it's still a major time-saver to have it dropped in your driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.