Just purchased a new P68 to replace our Earth Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Tractor Supply Blue and white bags. Premium Hardwood Pellets. Pretty crappy. They put out a good amount of heat but they are producing incredible amounts of ash. The fire pot was filled to the edge in a matter of just a few hours. Ash everywhere in the stove after I cleaned it. Shame because they are only $5.19/bag.

At my local TSC most of the time they have crappy odd ball pellets in some generic type bag. Last year and the year before that's all they had but this year luckily they have Somersets for $199 a ton OTD. This is a first but my buddy who talked me into a pellet stove said he bought Sets at TSC about 6 years ago and that was the only other time they had good pellets.

The last two pre-season orders to save money at TSC they wanted you to buy them not knowing what they were getting in. No way would I buy and pay in full not knowing.

The only shot you have at figuring out what they are in the blue is to do the UPC code like Bogie suggested. Maybe take a pic of a bag and post so someone else might recognize them and know but the UPC will tell you.

Sometimes you get lucky where they re-bag good pellets into another name or bag so it is worth checking out. Pellet shopping and hunting almost becomes a full time sport. LOL!

Reactions: bogieb
These pellets are also producing some pretty nasty carbon clinkers on top of it. Again, a shame because they seem to put out some really nice heat.

UPC 7 49394 10780 2
SKU# 3195163

That's all part of the fun. Somersets will also produce carbon and ash depending on how I am running but I've only burned them, Greenways, and Pro Pellets and all three are very similar hardwood pellets. The stoves always burn better with less ash etc; the colder it is and hotter and higher the burn.

These pellets are also producing some pretty nasty carbon clinkers on top of it. Again, a shame because they seem to put out some really nice heat.

UPC 7 49394 10780 2
SKU# 3195163

Rumor has it that Green Supremes (NEWPs) have gotten new UPC codes that aren't in any databases yet. Could be those, or something else. I couldn't find any info on them at any rate.

Reactions: EarthStove
Stove is working great!

I have the stove set to room temp and the therm located close to the air intake. Stove still frequently burns out and then restarts. How long can I expect the ignitor to work like this? I take it this is also using more electricity?

Our old stove burned every singe pellet in the hopper. This stove seems to hold about 16 to 24 ozs of pellets along the side walls. Anything we can do about that?

On another note...Switched back to Stove chow for a few days and now getting ready to burn through 4 bags of Cheat River.

Stove is working great!

I have the stove set to room temp and the therm located close to the air intake. Stove still frequently burns out and then restarts. How long can I expect the ignitor to work like this? I take it this is also using more electricity?

Our old stove burned every singe pellet in the hopper. This stove seems to hold about 16 to 24 ozs of pellets along the side walls. Anything we can do about that?

There are threads here you can search for the pellets sticking in the hopper. I don't have the issue because i rarely let my hopper run out. I have seen where people rub wax inside their hoppers etc;

There have been igniters that have lasted for many years. I wouldn't worry about it. That said you can set your ignition switch to manual and the stove will not shut off. Currently I'm running mine in manual igniter room temp with the feed set at 1. It has warmed up a bit here. This mode even works in the cold but you need to figure out the feed rate you want for different temps outside.

There's plenty to read up on about this here. But I'd just run room temp auto with feed rate at 3-4 set to the temp you like. This will let the stove do its thing and you can get used to how it works. I hardly ever run in stove temp mode but some here do.

I am unsure why you would have the temp probe next to the air intake. That
There's plenty to read up on about this here. But I'd just run room temp auto with feed rate at 3-4 set to the temp you like. This will let the stove do its thing and you can get used to how it works. I hardly ever run in stove temp mode but some here do.

I wouldn't worry about the igniter - I haven't changed out one yet and run mine on room temp / auto for a lot of the year. In the deep of winter I sometimes change the basement stove (P61a) to room temp / manual as Bags described. I would think for your climate, that would work well for you most of the year.

My main floor stove (P43) is on a thermostat so it doesn't act correctly if I put it in RT / manual, so if I want it to burn continuously then I will turn it to stove temp / auto and use my feed rate to keep the heat output to what I want. I rarely go above 1, but I also have a small house and some heat does rise from downstairs, so that is just for my particular circumstances.

I am unsure why you would have the temp probe next to the air intake. That

I wouldn't worry about the igniter - I haven't changed out one yet and run mine on room temp / auto for a lot of the year. In the deep of winter I sometimes change the basement stove (P61a) to room temp / manual as Bags described. I would think for your climate, that would work well for you most of the year.

My main floor stove (P43) is on a thermostat so it doesn't act correctly if I put it in RT / manual, so if I want it to burn continuously then I will turn it to stove temp / auto and use my feed rate to keep the heat output to what I want. I rarely go above 1, but I also have a small house and some heat does rise from downstairs, so that is just for my particular circumstances.

Thought it would get the best reading on the surrounding room temperature. Seems to work really well there. It's about 8 inches off the ground on the left back side.

Thought it would get the best reading on the surrounding room temperature. Seems to work really well there. It's about 8 inches off the ground on the left back side.

Sorry - I wrote that first part and deleted it a couple of days ago when I realized you probably don't have an OAK set up. But any comments started never really disappear - they lurk around for the next comment you make on that post. I forgot it was there when I quoted Bags' entry.

Well after almost 2 months still loving the stove. Keeps the house really nice and warm and I love the fact that it switches off when the temps outside get warmer.

One thing I noticed though. I had to clean out the igniter area because the pellets started burning crappy. It's not listed on the stove as an area to clean out. I figured it would need to be cleaned though. Once I got all the ash cleared out she started burning like a champ again.

Well after almost 2 months still loving the stove. Keeps the house really nice and warm and I love the fact that it switches off when the temps outside get warmer.

One thing I noticed though. I had to clean out the igniter area because the pellets started burning crappy. It's not listed on the stove as an area to clean out. I figured it would need to be cleaned though. Once I got all the ash cleared out she started burning like a champ again.

Your appreciation of that P68 will continue in years to come as well. More so when the temps drop down to UGLY! I have zero regrets with my purchase. None, other than thinking I should have bought one much sooner than I did.

Read up and continue to learn here and contribute. That's what keeps it going for the next season and the next generation of lost souls. I knew absolutely nothing about pellet stoves and had only ever seen one in my life before I logged in here. This place has many helpful, knowledgeable people ready and willing to help with any questions, repairs, and issues from start to finish.

Glad you like your P68 and welcome to the Go BIG or Go Home Club. Maybe we will wise up one day and go smaller and need less stove. That's the plan here as soon as the wife retires in 10 or so years and I give the kids the boot out the door. ;lol Ha ha!

They are all teens now and I'm polishing my boots and warming up. ;) Some days when they are being typical teens I'm about ready to line them up in front of the door and start side winding my right foot picturing a shiny soccer ball on their azzes. :mad: Then I think I may need their help when older and start scheming about paybacks and being a pain someday returning the favor ::-).

Reactions: rich2500

Hmm, my manual (for P43, 61 & 68) has the igniter area as a cleaning for every month (or 1 ton of fuel) on page 18. Although I will agree that they don't call it the igniter area so maybe that is where the confusion lies. I clean mine out more frequently than they suggest because I burn not-so-sweet-pellets.

igniter area cleaning.JPG

Reactions: bags
Hmm, my manual (for P43, 61 & 68) has the igniter area as a cleaning for every month (or 1 ton of fuel) on page 18. Although I will agree that they don't call it the igniter area so maybe that is where the confusion lies. I clean mine out more frequently than they suggest because I burn not-so-sweet-pellets.

View attachment 194389

The dealer I bought my P68 from says this area not being cleaned or overlooked is his #1 service call. He lets a P68 that heats his shop / showroom just get abused all season long as a display and he about never turns it off all season. He lets it go just to show how they will run being neglected. He does empty the ash pan and do a quick recommended maintenance / cleans but only when he has no other option. Nothing like how well all clean our stoves and how thorough.

I ran two tons thru mine once before a deep clean. It still rolled along well enough but after the clean it was like night and day. It was also not worth it because the clean took longer and much more messy all around. Pellet quality and ash etc can make a huge difference too.

Reactions: bogieb
Your appreciation of that P68 will continue in years to come as well. More so when the temps drop down to UGLY! I have zero regrets with my purchase. None, other than thinking I should have bought one much sooner than I did.

Read up and continue to learn here and contribute. That's what keeps it going for the next season and the next generation of lost souls. I knew absolutely nothing about pellet stoves and had only ever seen one in my life before I logged in here. This place has many helpful, knowledgeable people ready and willing to help with any questions, repairs, and issues from start to finish.

Glad you like your P68 and welcome to the Go BIG or Go Home Club. Maybe we will wise up one day and go smaller and need less stove. That's the plan here as soon as the wife retires in 10 or so years and I give the kids the boot out the door. ;lol Ha ha!

They are all teens now and I'm polishing my boots and warming up. ;) Some days when they are being typical teens I'm about ready to line them up in front of the door and start side winding my right foot picturing a shiny soccer ball on their azzes. :mad: Then I think I may need their help when older and start scheming about paybacks and being a pain someday returning the favor ::-).
I hate to tell you but in this society today, unless you have done some exceptional, remarkable, parenting job, don't count on the kids to be there for you. In fact, they may feel the other way around. We raised five kids, we were a close family, several grand kids, all pretty close.. Our adult kids are all in their 40's now and wow did things change when I retired and we have to keep finances closer to home so to speak. It's a very different world today, there is a "strangeness" in the atmosphere.

I clean out the igniter compartment on the P61 every two weeks whether I do a full stove cleaning or not.

Reactions: bogieb and bags
I agree Alternative. It is a doggy dog self centered world. The younger the generation the worse they seem to get. Maybe I'll just change the locks on them when they leave for their last day of school. Three kids here and the two girls are much worse to handle. Good kids but way more difficult than the boy. Drama queens. Ditzy. Bimbo. Playing dumb. The deer in the head lights stare. "I didn't know" I know everything...on and on. etc; The two girls have an arsenal of excuses and we don't roll with excuses here. They must hit a game board spinner in their rooms when they wake up each morning and whatever it lands on then that is their attitude or style for the day.

Their fingers are way smaller so I'll have to get them to clean out the igniter compartment. :ZZZ:rolleyes:

I agree Alternative. It is a doggy dog self centered world. The younger the generation the worse they seem to get. Maybe I'll just change the locks on them when they leave for their last day of school. Three kids here and the two girls are much worse to handle. Good kids but way more difficult than the boy. Drama queens. Ditzy. Bimbo. Playing dumb. The deer in the head lights stare. "I didn't know" I know everything...on and on. etc; The two girls have an arsenal of excuses and we don't roll with excuses here. They must hit a game board spinner in their rooms when they wake up each morning and whatever it lands on then that is their attitude or style for the day.

Their fingers are way smaller so I'll have to get them to clean out the igniter compartment. :ZZZ:rolleyes:
I have three girls, they just have a different mind set than boys. Don't try to make any sense of it, there isn't any to a mans mind. And don't let those eyes deceive you, they know how to use them !! My youngest started that action in the hospital the day she was born.

View attachment 194389

I was actually talking about the sticker on the hopper. I didn't look in the manual. :)