Just Purchased Summers Heat 50-SNC13i...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was hoping to use existing supply of pellets, but you're probably correct... Burn Wood in A Wood Stove. Good cord wood is silly expensive in my area
How much is wood there? I would have thought that pine would be available from the mountains nearby.

How much is wood there? I would have thought that pine would be available from the mountains nearby.

Cord wood is available from vendors in the Truckee and Tahoe area. Unfortunately, their prices are too high for my consideration. Usually, a minimum of $350-$375 per cord, plus delivery.

Cord wood is available from vendors in the Truckee and Tahoe area. Unfortunately, their prices are too high for my consideration. Usually, a minimum of $350-$375 per cord, plus delivery.
Wow, that's astounding. I'm surprised. I'd be turning to Energy Logs, too... The Energy Logs supply about the same BTU's per ton as a cord of medium quality wood like pine (16.5 million) for about $280/ton.

Why not list the pellets on Cl at a slightly less or same as the local stores( around here you have sales tax to pay as well at the stores so if that applies in your area you might be less than them automatically) use that for more of the compressed logs.

Why not list the pellets on Cl at a slightly less or same as the local stores( around here you have sales tax to pay as well at the stores so if that applies in your area you might be less than them automatically) use that for more of the compressed logs.

I actually have (2) pellet stoves as well, so always need more. I'll just need to consider an outright purchase of North Idaho Energy Logs

Pellet basket arrived yesterday afternoon. Was excited by the prospect of full combustion and suitable heat output... Instead neither occurred. After hours of active management with every variation in basket placement and source air, the stove never moved beyond 337 degrees. Plus, combustion was primarily incomplete with soot development on the (3) secondary burn tubes. We're sending the unit back for a refund! Not worth the time, expense, and poor results.

Thought I would contact more sources of good cord wood in the area... Prices are amazing to me. $395 + tax & delivery for White Oak. Another source is charging $420 + delivery for Almond, $385 + delivery for Walnut. YIPES!

Yipes is right...

These are still kind of high, but still much less cost than N.I. Energy logs would be in terms of BTU content:

http://reno.craigslist.org/for/4152251988.html

http://reno.craigslist.org/for/4130482003.html

http://reno.craigslist.org/for/4130648931.html

But I also see some for up to 500 per cord for oak. I wonder why there is such a range of prices. Around here prices are pretty close. I would think that pine would be easy to get unless they just aren't allowed to cut around there for some reason.

It's doubtful than any of those would be really dry enough for this year anyway, so maybe it's going to have to be the Energy Logs until next year. Nobody else around here (on the forum) has had luck with those pellet baskets either, BTW.

I wish you luck. We have close relatives in Sparks and I know it can get cold there.

Last edited:
Reactions: stayfitz
How about this ad:

If you could get the rounds delivered from Truckee for a decent price and split and stack it yourself, it sounds pretty decent:

http://reno.craigslist.org/for/4111839762.html

Of course, they'd still be too green for this year, but pine could be ready for next season.

Reactions: stayfitz
Thank you very much for the help! I'll look into these options and report back

Status
Not open for further replies.