Just Purchased Summers Heat 50-SNC13i...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stayfitz

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2012
Reno, NV
Howdy!

We just purchased a Summers Heat 50-SNC13i for a fireplace opening. Plus, I just ordered a smooth wall 316ti liner kit and insulation wrap from Fireside Chimney Supply. The stove and most of the parts/pieces should arrive early next week. Very excited about having a wood stove again! I'll post photos of the installation, etc.

Congratulations! That should warm up the joint.

Thank you for the warm wishes :cool:
Stove arrived today (along with 6 tons of Golden Fire pellets)! Unfortunately, the little guy is slightly damaged... Just spoke with ESW, they're sending (4) replacement bricks and a can of touch-up paint. ESW provides amazing support!!! Good people over there (Eric)!!! Chimney liner should arrive tomorrow. Will post photos once work commences...

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Might try to burn pellets using a basket? We'll see. I have (2) existing pellet stoves. Burned approximately 4.5 tons last season.

Skip trying to burn the pellets in the wood stove. Have not read of much luck on here with that.

Skip trying to burn the pellets in the wood stove. Have not read of much luck on here with that.

Was hoping to use existing supply of pellets, but you're probably correct... Burn Wood in A Wood Stove. Good cord wood is silly expensive in my area

You can always try. Last few times I read about burning pellets in a basket in a wood stove, most folks said they more or less smoldered, and had to be fiddled with.
Worth a try thought I suppose.

Installed our 316ti chimney liner over the weekend (9/7/13)... Wrapping and securing the 1/2" insulation blanket around the exterior was not much fun! Had to order a 30 degree elbow for liner attachment to the stove. It should arrive on Thursday (9/12/13)? Then wait for a friend to come back to town for assistance moving the stove into the fireplace...

For the wood stove if real fire wood is crazy price wise, rather than pellets ,look for the bio bricks/ compressed wood logs. Bunch of different names out there. It might just be less cost wise with those than natural wood.

For the wood stove if real fire wood is crazy price wise, rather than pellets ,look for the bio bricks/ compressed wood logs. Bunch of different names out there. It might just be less cost wise with those than natural wood.

Yes, North Idaho Energy Logs are available in my area for less than cord wood. I've used them before in our Quadra Fire 2100 (before selling it). The NIEL's are great! Still have 10-12 logs. I was just trying to avoid purchase of another fuel source and use the 7+ tons of pellets I already have.

Yeah I have a pellet basket I play with a couple of times each year. First filling is a nice fire and decent heat for four hours or so. Subsequent filling and relight is a PITA.

Always exciting to get something new to burn, Enjoy !

Yeah I have a pellet basket I play with a couple of times each year. First filling is a nice fire and decent heat for four hours or so. Subsequent filling and relight is a PITA.

Did you purchase a specific basket or construct one?

Thank you for the warm wishes :cool:
Stove arrived today (along with 6 tons of Golden Fire pellets)! Unfortunately, the little guy is slightly damaged... Just spoke with ESW, they're sending (4) replacement bricks and a can of touch-up paint. ESW provides amazing support!!! Good people over there (Eric)!!! Chimney liner should arrive tomorrow. Will post photos once work commences...

The replacement parts arrived early yesterday evening. The contents were packaged very well, no damage as a result of shipment, etc. Thank you very much ESW!!!

Here's a photo of the chimney liner... Now waiting for more parts (30 degree elbow) and stove lifting assistance <>

Chimney Liner Installation.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the finished install -

ESW 13-NCI.JPG

Looking good and almost ready for fire. It'll need a proper hearth extension or hearth pad first.

Reactions: Oldhippie
Looking good and almost ready for fire. It'll need a proper hearth extension or hearth pad first.

I currently have approximately 12" from stove body surface to hearth brick edge and then a 14" drop to the floor surface. The line distance from stove to floor is 35+". I wasn't going to add anything...

That's a nice floor. It would be a shame to start adding burn marks from popped embers and perhaps an occasional log roll out. Yes, this does happen. I can see not going with the full hearth protection requirement because of the height, but to not have ember protection is risky business.

Hearth Extension
The firebox on your insert will extend out eight inches (8”) from the face of the fireplace, so you will need at least sixteen inches (16”) in front of the door. If you do not have this, it will require you to place an approved floor protector in front of the stove (such as a hearth extender shield).

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldhippie
That's a nice floor. It would be a shame to start adding burn marks from popped embers and perhaps an occasional log roll out. Yes, this does happen. I can see not going with the full hearth protection requirement, but to not have ember protection is risky business.

You speak the truth...! I'll look into a removable hearth pad for the flying ember potential. Thank you!!!

That looks really nice. Sorry I missed your earlier question. I have the Pellitier basket. I anxiously await your experiences with the 3-Bay basket.

That looks really nice. Sorry I missed your earlier question. I have the Pellitier basket. I anxiously await your experiences with the 3-Bay basket.

No worries! Thanks for the reply! I just contacted the pellet basket people for details on a "custom" basket. Their "3-Bay" model is too large.

No worries! Thanks for the reply! I just contacted the pellet basket people for details on a "custom" basket. Their "3-Bay" model is too large.

The pellet basket company is recommending their "single-bay" unit for this stove...?

Here's an image of first fire Saturday September 21st. Secondary combustion with Ash logs...

First Fire Still.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.