Just swept chimney - creosote buildup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkbyrd

Jan 25, 2011
Pisgah Nat'l Forest, NC
Just went up and swept the chimney the other day. 6" SS liner. Didn't get much out, but there is a 1/8 inch buildup that my brush just slid past. I was able to chip away a little with a screwdriver at the top, but obviously could not do that for the whole 8'. Am I okay?

Should be OK. Top is usually the thickest.
Real hot fire may loosen it up. Just keep an eye on it so you don't get allot more build up.
Zap had some stuff he burned to clean it out & make it loose.
May PM him & ask what it was & how well it worked.

I should have added before, I considered using TSP or some other chimney cleaning product to loosen it, but the paperwork for my liner (Safe-T Liner) says not to use anything. Do they really mean it? Or is this a CYA direction

If you have eight feet of glaze creosote in the top of that pipe you need to get it out of there. Try the stuff like ACS, Anti-Creo-Soot to loosen it up.

darkbyrd said:
Just went up and swept the chimney the other day. 6" SS liner. Didn't get much out, but there is a 1/8 inch buildup that my brush just slid past. I was able to chip away a little with a screwdriver at the top, but obviously could not do that for the whole 8'. Am I okay?

This is what bogydave was talking about, turns the creosote to a fluffly ash type substance that is easy to brush out.

http://saversystems.com/chimney-products/acs-anti-creo-soot

Zap

Man I tell you. This is one awesome wood burner's forum.
Gotta question? Getta an answer!
And sometime there is no BS, just the needed answer. Like this one!

We kinda try to keep it that way but, ya know, people get into conversations every now and then.

Nothing wrong with that if they aren't talking down to the OP or getting unfriendly to each other.

i run that red devil stuff in my firepl@ce before, but never in the wood stove.

In order to meet the lofty forum expectations I will avoid further bs and answer your question :red: I used a product that changed the shiny black creosote into fluffy stuff that was easily removed. It was a special log that I burned. Can't remember the name.

I had someone say potato peelings work.
Throw them into a hot fire, creo falls off.
Never tried it.
True or BS?

bogydave said:
I had someone say potato peelings work.
Throw them into a hot fire, creo falls off.
Never tried it.
True or BS?

I'd stick with the chemicals since I can't think of what would be in potato peelings that would cause the creosote to change form. . . . . Better still is to go with the well seasoned wood and burn at the proper temps of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.