Kiln Dried Wood Delivery During Snow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bos_rocco

Dec 8, 2017
North Central MA
Greetings -

I bought a house and just moved in the last month. I placed an order for kiln dried wood since I’m a bit late to the game of obtaining seasoned wood. My delivery takes place this Saturday and I just read it’s supposed to snow. Should I be concerned that my kiln dried wood delivery would be wet? Should I delay my order for another day? Does a little snow on the wood affect the moisture level tremendously?

I wouldn’t worry just knock the snow off as your stacking.

Beware of so called "kiln" dried wood....the only requirement to call it kiln dried is that the the wood be heated enough to kill insects and nothing more....this is not seasoned wood...ask what the guaranteed moisture content will be...

Reactions: ddddddden and fespo
Beware of so called "kiln" dried wood....the only requirement to call it kiln dried is that the the wood be heated enough to kill insects and nothing more....this is not seasoned wood...ask what the guaranteed moisture content will be...

It’s guaranteed. They kiln dry to 12%. I’ll have my moisture reader with me. Lol. I’ve had the local folk recommend. Should I be concerned about it being delivered during snow?

no. once its dry its REALLY hard for water to soak in, unless its floating or something.

knock the snow off, stack and cover. you will be fine.

I would still pull off a piece of the wood before they start dumping it or stacking it and resplit it and check the moisture. Just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: bos_rocco
I would still pull off a piece of the wood before they start dumping it or stacking it and resplit it and check the moisture. Just to be on the safe side.
I have a moisture reader... are those accurate? I’m really green with all this, so I don’t think I even know what to physically look for.

Yes they work very well most times. Normally you would want to let the wood come up close to room temp but its hard to do that when taking delivery on a cold day. So it will be off a little but should still be close. Grab a piece from they delivery truck. Split it in half. Stick the moisture meter in parallel to the wood grain and hope for under 20%. If you want a quick way to test the meter stick the pins into you palm(not so hard that you draw blood. lol) and it will read around 32-35%.

Yes they work very well most times. Normally you would want to let the wood come up close to room temp but its hard to do that when taking delivery on a cold day. So it will be off a little but should still be close. Grab a piece from they delivery truck. Split it in half. Stick the moisture meter in parallel to the wood grain and hope for under 20%. If you want a quick way to test the meter stick the pins into you palm(not so hard that you draw blood. lol) and it will read around 32-35%.
Whoa, good tips. Will do this. I’ll admit, my eyes got big when I read “stick the pins into your palm” haha. I just tried it, it’s reading 25%. I think that may be skewed because i have wood species selections.

Whoa, good tips. Will do this. I’ll admit, my eyes got big when I read “stick the pins into your palm” haha. I just tried it, it’s reading 25%. I think that may be skewed because i have wood species selections.

Drink more water! Your dehydrated!

The moisture inside the core of the wood is what is going to cause you problems, even wood that has been rained on can still be used, I would just bring it in early and let the exterior moisture evaporate before throwing into the stove.

That is why it is important to split the piece of wood in half and test the center core for moisture.

That seems pretty low. I just did mine again and it was 38-45% depending on how hard I pushed.

Greetings -

I bought a house and just moved in the last month. I placed an order for kiln dried wood since I’m a bit late to the game of obtaining seasoned wood. My delivery takes place this Saturday and I just read it’s supposed to snow. Should I be concerned that my kiln dried wood delivery would be wet? Should I delay my order for another day? Does a little snow on the wood affect the moisture level tremendously?
Yes, worry about the snow.

But, the solution is easy: One six pack of your favorite brew, a broom, and a tarp, once you have it swept off.

Then, one more six pack, if you are so inclined, and don't have any left over from the first one.

It’s guaranteed. They kiln dry to 12%. I’ll have my moisture reader with me. Lol. I’ve had the local folk recommend. Should I be concerned about it being delivered during snow?
Regardless of what they say it is......check it anyway..I have been playing this firewood game for 30+ years and have never seen or heard of wood being delivered with a 12% moisture content....it takes a lot of energy/money to reach that level..not saying they can't do it but I know many people get burnt buying "seasoned" wood...they can and will say anything to make the sale and think nothing about it rolling out of your driveway with your money in hand....as far as the snow goes....and it has already been mentioned I believe...I would lay out a tarp to have it dumped on and a tarp to cover it up.

Reactions: Rickb
Regardless of what they say it is......check it anyway..I have been playing this firewood game for 30+ years and have never seen or heard of wood being delivered with a 12% moisture content....it takes a lot of energy/money to reach that level..not saying they can't do it but I know many people get burnt buying "seasoned" wood...they can and will say anything to make the sale and think nothing about it rolling out of your driveway with your money in hand....as far as the snow goes....and it has already been mentioned I believe...I would lay out a tarp to have it dumped on and a tarp to cover it up.

I agree around here to get a real cord that was kiln dried to 12-15% would cost around 450 bucks or more. Versus every other seller of "good" "seasoned" wood that is really at around 35% at 180 bucks or so.

Last edited by a moderator: