KozyHeat Z42 Temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

aboutte

Nov 27, 2022
United States
Hello all.

I am new to wood burning and just got a Kozy Heat Z42 installed. I have two questions

1. Where can I place a magnetic thermometer to get an accurate temperature?
  2. For this fireplace what temperature would be considered overfiring?

Welcome. It can be a challenge to get an accurate temp with a ZC fireplace. Is this the single or double door version?
Your best bet is probably going to be with an IR thermometer gun right above the doors or maybe on the door frame top itself. On the double door it doesn't look like there is room for a 2" dial thermometer there, but if there is then that would be the best location. On the single door there looks to be room on the upper door frame. Overheating would be above 750º.

Thanks for the reply begreen.

I have the double door and have attached some images with measurements.

The magnet on the back of the thermometer is just about 3/4" and fits on the top corner of the door.

Is 750º a general temperature for all stoves or specific to the Z42?
Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 8.00.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 8.00.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 8.00.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 8.00.45 PM.png

750 is general for all steel and cast iron stoves. The world doesn't end if it goes over it, but you don't want to make a habit of it.

Reactions: aboutte
I have the cast doors model also and I use an IR gun. This is the second year with it and I really don't use the IR much now. It was a great learning tool. My stove cruises around 425 measured above the doors. I've never seen more than 575 and that was putting out major heat from the fan above the doors. Also my chimney is 26' and drafts great. After burning about 2 cords I had about 2 coffee cups of light grey soot from my chimney last season.

I have the cast doors model also and I use an IR gun. This is the second year with it and I really don't use the IR much now. It was a great learning tool. My stove cruises around 425 measured above the doors. I've never seen more than 575 and that was putting out major heat from the fan above the doors. Also my chimney is 26' and drafts great. After burning about 2 cords I had about 2 coffee cups of light grey soot from my chimney last season.

Thanks for the info. My magnetic hovers at 550. I'll think about getting an IR gun to compare.