Kuma Alpine LE insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Russn77

Jan 20, 2021
North Central Ohio
IMG-2291.jpg
I installed my Kuma Alpine LE inert this past weekend. I did make a block off plate, however, please don't judge my shoddy workmanship. I plan on painting the sheet metal of the block off plate because you can see it when sitting on the floor or laying on the couch. For now, we are not going to install the surround, we kinda like the way it looks.

Install was fairly easy. I have a rigid SS insulated liner that comes down the chimney above the smoke shelf. Then it runs down the 2 bends of the smoke shelf with 2 rigid angled SS pieces and a straight rigid SS pipe. Then I had to cut a black stove pipe piece down to 9" to connect to the insert. All I need to do now is secure that 9" piece with screws, put the door on, and wait for a cool day to fire it up. (And yes, I know we do need a hearth pad, or something similar 16" from the glass. As the insert sits right now the glass is 12" from the edge of the hearth.)

I hope its all installed correctly. If I've done something incorrectly I would appreciate the criticism. I followed the instructions in the manual to the best of my ability.

Overall I'm happy with the choice we made based on aesthetics alone. If any of you remember, since January I've been hounding these forums trying to decide how I can make a freestanding stove work without extending the hearth. Then we thought about demolishing our current hearth and lowering it, and extending it. We went back and forth, and finally fell into reason with a insert. I appreciate the input and advice from this fantastic forum.

IMG-2132.jpg IMG-2133.jpg IMG-2285.jpg IMG-2287.jpg IMG-2288.jpg IMG-2290.jpg

Looks very nice. Agree with not installing the surround. Hope mine comes out half as nice as that.

You did fine. I like the naked look.

Very nice Kuma you will be happy with the stove. Nice looking install.

Nice job on the install.

The only thing I'm wondering about is whether it's ok to use that piece of black pipe to connect to the stove? I was thinking it had to be stainless all the way and use a stainless stovetop adapter or offset adapter to connect to the stove. I could be wrong though, so if someone with more knowledge than me has anything to add, please do.

I think if the pipe remains fully exposed and not enclosed it is ok. A section of stainless painted black would be even better.

Love the look without the surround. Did you get the blower with it?

Love the look without the surround. Did you get the blower with it?
Yes we did. We just haven’t installed it yet. I got the insert set up, and we went on vacation. Good grief between vacation, sports for the kids, there’s hardly time for anything! I’m looking forward to colder, slower times..