New Kuma Alpine LE Insert - First Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PantsOnFire

Mar 14, 2023
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Purchased a nice, new Kuma Alpine LE insert this summer. It’s been collecting dust since then, now it’s time to go to work and cure the paint with a small fire.

FirstFire1.jpg

And away we go.

FirstFire2.jpg

An hour later, the thermometer in the upper left shows that the cat is just starting to wake up. Added more wood, everything worked fine for a few more hours, until the fog and clouds lifted, the sun came out, and the room got hot.

FirstFire3.jpg

Very nice!

That is a small box, I will be curious to see what kind of burn times you get with that hybrid setup. I loved Kuma's with a straight cat, not so sure about the hybrids yet.
The Alpine has a 1.8 CF firebox, which at this point seems plenty for my 1400 sf house. Thursday was my first fire in it, mostly to cure the paint, and with a small fire over a few hours it got plenty warm. It felt nice to open the windows, let out the paint smell, and let in the 40 degree morning air to mix with the 80 degree inside air.

I don’t plan to do any long burn times for awhile, although overnight temperatures are expected to be in the low 30’s for a few nights.

I have a lot to learn about it.

That is a small box, I will be curious to see what kind of burn times you get with that hybrid setup. I loved Kuma's with a straight cat, not so sure about the hybrids yet.
I get about 10 hours with mine plenty of coals for a reload. Great stove.

I just got one, I like it for the most part.
Ive been able to get overnight burns on it too.
I do have an issue with it, I feel it should be 2 inches taller.
Putting four split logs leaves no room for any kindling or paper on top.
I have been putting kindling in the bottom and starting it that way.
Also having the base of the inside of the stove pretty much level with the door of the hearth means constant ash monitoring,
I keep having ashes fall out when I open the stove.
I'd like it to be on a 3" pedestal as it's right on my hearth, super low.