Kuma delivered!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

buc74

Burning Hunk
Oct 16, 2012
Fort Atkinson, WI
Our fireplace has a somewhat odd shape opening because of how its tapered in the rear and cantilevered . Our options were limited to a few stoves, Buck 21, possibly the BK Sirocco 25 and a couple others. The stove I wanted was a Kuma but was to wide in the back by like 4 inches. So my installer (Goldens Chimney) says he'll bring a new Kuma Alpine to my house (1.5 hr drive for him) and if it doesn't fit he take it back for the show room. As I thought it was to wide, but wait. He calls Kuma and chats for like 15 min. and says were good as long as I'm ok with removing some of the brick so it can slid in more. Both Kuma and the installer seem to have excellent customer service. Install is scheduled for October, its going to a long wait.

IMG_1528.JPG IMG_1529.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Our fireplace has a somewhat odd shape opening because of how its tapered in the rear and cantilevered . Our options were limited to a few stoves, Buck 21, possibly the BK Sirocco 25 and a couple others. The stove I wanted was a Kuma but was to wide in the back by like 4 inches. So my installer (Goldens Chimney) says he'll bring a new Kuma Alpine to my house (1.5 hr drive for him) and if it doesn't fit he take it back for the show room. As I thought it was to wide, but wait. He calls Kuma and chats for like 15 min. and says were good as long as I'm ok with removing some of the brick so it can slid in more. Both Kuma and the installer seem to have excellent customer service. Install is scheduled for October, its going to a long wait.

View attachment 261218 View attachment 261219

I'm doing some research on wood stoves. How do you like the kuma? I hear they have good customer service. How are your burn times, efficiency. Etc? How large of an area are you heating?

Reactions: JimBear

View attachment 261218 View attachment 261219
Any update on your install & how you like your new stove?

I'm very happy the stove, my wife not so much. She hasn't warmed up to the extra step using the combustor, or that it doesn't keep the whole house 75+degrees. Our previous home had a PE Summit 3.0 cubic ft. fire box and our vacation home has a 2.74 box. so its a hard act to follow with the the small 1.8 box. We have a 1960's ranch at 1600 sq. ft. with the original windows and insulation. Stove is in the kitchen /dinette in the center of the house with just 2 doors to move air out. Terrible location for the stove, its almost like its in a large bedroom. Block off plate with an insulated liner. Anyhow.

Cons: Rheostat on the blower cord

Pros: 9-10 hour burns at low with red oak
Clean glass
Does keep our home ~70 using a box fan at times. Back bedroom hits ~67
Like how the door handle latches and is adjustable
Blower is quieter than I'm used too
I burn mostly N/S using 14" splits on a full reload.
Very easy to start up and operate
Good owners manual I thought

Hope the helps

Attachments

• DSC_2454.JPG
    DSC_2454.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 205
I'm very happy the stove, my wife not so much. She hasn't warmed up to the extra step using the combustor, or that it doesn't keep the whole house 75+degrees. Our previous home had a PE Summit 3.0 cubic ft. fire box and our vacation home has a 2.74 box. so its a hard act to follow with the the small 1.8 box. We have a 1960's ranch at 1600 sq. ft. with the original windows and insulation. Stove is in the kitchen /dinette in the center of the house with just 2 doors to move air out. Terrible location for the stove, its almost like its in a large bedroom. Block off plate with an insulated liner. Anyhow.

Cons: Rheostat on the blower cord

Pros: 9-10 hour burns at low with red oak
Clean glass
Does keep our home ~70 using a box fan at times. Back bedroom hits ~67
Like how the door handle latches and is adjustable
Blower is quieter than I'm used too
I burn mostly N/S using 14" splits on a full reload.
Very easy to start up and operate
Good owners manual I thought

Hope the helps

I've changed my mind to go with a PE, either summit or T6. How were your burn times on the PE? Did it heat your house how you wanted it to? I'm purchasing an elevated ranch style house. ~1350 sq ft on the main floor. Open concept. Hoping the PE can deliver.

Up to 12 hours between reloads. Heated our 1700 sq. ft. ranch just fine. Drafted well, and nice secondary burn. I'm sure you'll be happy with the PE.

Reactions: Shrewboy
Your wife will get the hand of the new Kuma. My wife was quick to get the one we have in the basement. I am very happy with my Kuma they put out a ton of heat. Very nice stove. sheadu061 I have the PE insert on my first floor in my place 2456sq and it heats it nicely even in the real cold, 8+ burn times.