Kuma sequoia review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
With a 30' ceiling peak I think you probably have a hell of a draft up the flue. I wonder if the stove may have overfired on a cold night. You may be better served with a wood fired furnace or hydronic heater and then enjoy the insert whenever you want to see a fire.

Before I installed the insert I was thinking it would be hard to tame the fire with the chimney run but my experience has been the opposite. I have no trouble at all shutting it down and even suffocating the fire altogether with the intake. I think the 2 offsets (4 - 45 deg turns) help slow it down. Im really happy with the heat and performance I just want the baffle set to last.

How many burn seasons have you gotten out of the baffle. Remember it does see some pretty extreme temps. Like begreen said maybe reach out to Kuma. I would be curious to see what they say.

How many burn seasons have you gotten out of the baffle. Remember it does see some pretty extreme temps. Like begreen said maybe reach out to Kuma. I would be curious to see what they say.

I would reach out to Kuma but... its Saturday night. Plus, if they had a fix then I would have expected Jason to mention something earlier in this thread. My guess is, Im on my own on this one. Im fine with that, Im hoping someone her can tell me if there is a heat treatment that will correct this other than going with Ti. If not, Ill have to look at other options. 1-2 years of baffle life isnt an ideal option.

I would reach out to Kuma but... its Saturday night. Plus, if they had a fix then I would have expected Jason to mention something earlier in this thread. My guess is, Im on my own on this one. Im fine with that, Im hoping someone her can tell me if there is a heat treatment that will correct this other than going with Ti. If not, Ill have to look at other options. 1-2 years of baffle life isnt an ideal option.
Keep them in the loop. It's in both of your best interests.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Been a bit since I’ve updated, So far things are still going well, I did have to replace the catalytic last year since it started to crumble, I think it was due to my initial overdraft problems.
Finally 3 years ahead on wood, had to add onto existing wood shed to get the space to store 3 years worth, cut lots last year, now just maintaining.
I am quite familiar with this stove, based upon species I am familiar with I can juggle load size, air control and have the thing ready to be reloaded at a certain time. Also knowing how hot to have it to keep the house consistently comfortable as the temp changes outside.
Yet to run this thing on high BTU woods, I do have about 3 cords of red oak stacked that need another 2 years to season, look forward to that, may keep it around for when it gets to the negatives.
I did seal up the outlets and switches in this place and some other things to keep more heat in the house, temps are more consistent throughout now.
Mild winter last year, and so far this year also, kept the baseboard heat from having to kick in. Curious as to how it would do when it’s properly cold.
Since I’ve been burning properly seasoned wood, chimney is cleaner for sure, this upcoming week I’ll do a mid season cleaning, I don’t think it needs it based upon looking at the cap, but I’m curious more than anything.

Sweedish glad the stove is working out. I don't see to many members with a Kuma. I'm on my 5th year with the Sequoia and I'm still very happy with my stove. Great heat and easy to operate. Nothing better than being able to heat the house with just the stove.

Further updates, I did clean my catalytic today with vinegar and a water bath reawakening it. I also did other maintenance, chimney swept, I do that twice a year. I get some creosote build up on the cap, yes the wood is dry. Cleaned the area behind the cap. Some ash collects behind there. I think Once a year ill pull the cat to get behind there and maybe not bath the cat but give it a good cleaning with the air hose.
We did hit 1250, the cats working as well as it ever did. Yes, the bent baffle makes the stove seem like it’s smiling.

92EA5132-6165-40EB-AC03-11300F4D9316.jpeg 87820B75-EF9C-48E5-B597-8530A24E9800.jpeg 88349F35-5BF1-40C4-8047-80ED123AE2BC.jpeg

I have never given my catalytic a bath. Do you think it wwwas worth it? I have replaced mine once in 7 years I have had the stove. I can not get my cat to seee those temps, my stove burns between 700 and 1000. I have only seen over a 1000 a few times. Kuma has told me that is not a bad thing and every setup is different. Are you still happy with the stove/insert? Do you think you will replace the baffle?

Overall still happy with it, I do thinks it a good idea to clean it, worst case scenario is you just wasted some time and a few bucks buying vinegar and some gasket. I have quite a tall chimney, so maybe my draft is stronger making the temp higher. Did your baffle warp too? Have you ever replaced yours? I consider it, and I may take it somewhere. I’m worried about buying a new one just to have it happen to the new one.
I burn quite a bit of wood in a given year. I do notice slight ash buildup behind the catalytic. And I do get masking on the cat,

My baffle has not warped, maybe because my temps are not as high as yours. I can see your thought on not replacing it incase it happens again, if it is working why mess with it. Other than the cat and the glass gasket I have not replaced anything else. I think after this burn year I may replace the door gasket I have it I just have not done it yet. I do get some ash buildup in the front of the cat, every few weeks I check it and vacuum it off. When I clean the stove and the chimney flue I sweep behind the cat there is a little ash but not much.