Lame Winter Part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Not this week.
Cold forecast.jpg
Was on a roof today repairing some flashing. Got a bit cold. Let see some other temps from members.

15 degrees in Northwest Jersey-a toasty 73 inside.

Here's what NEPA is looking at. So far the stove has been rocking, but I played around with the heat pump a bit tonight and was very impressed with the heat it was kicking out, even at 3::F. Glad to see it since it's part of the back-up system now.​
Tonight​
Slight Chc​
Snow​
Low: -1 °F​
Wednesday​
Chance​
Snow​
High: 12 °F​
Wednesday​
Night​
Chance​
Snow​
Low: 3 °F​
Thursday​
Chance​
Snow​
High: 12 °F​
Thursday​
Night​
Partly​
Cloudy​
Low: 3 °F​
Right now it looks like I'm a bit too far north to get much of Fri's storm​

Coldest temps this year, getting ready to load up the Liberty with beech.

Tonight Partly cloudy, with a low around -22. Wind chill values as low as -36. West wind around 8 mph.
  • Wednesday Sunny and cold, with a high near -7. Wind chill values as low as -38. West wind 6 to 10 mph.
  • Wednesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around -24. South wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.
  • Thursday Sunny and cold, with a high near 3. Wind chill values as low as -32. Light west wind increasing to 8 to 13 mph in the morning.
  • Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around -13. Southwest wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening

Add 4 degrees to pens for my area. The wind is starting to whip though. Indoor temp 71 and rising with the night load.

I gotta thank Bogydave next time he's on! >> Mother Nature, in the high 40's one week, down to almost -40 a few weeks later.

With these temps heating from the basement can be a challenge with just the wood stove, so we kicked on the Yankee Pellet Stove in the opposite corner, the basement is 81 with the upstairs is 71.

With these temps heating from the basement can be a challenge with just the wood stove, so we kicked on the Yankee Pellet Stove in the opposite corner, the basement is 81 with the upstairs is 71.

Heating from the basement is easy-you just need to get a central furnace :cool: Of course I have easy-it only got down to 10 degrees last night. Our kitchen is kind of drafty though (located on the opposite side of the house from the furnace)-gotta convince the wife to get a small parlor stove for up there.

Woke up this morning to the same temps, basement 80 (ok, 1 degree less) the upstairs stayed the same at 71. With the windchill we came in at minus 30.

Round two started this morning with a load of beech then I loaded another bag of pellets, I'm thinking it might be colder tonight.

With the windchill the Burg came in at -51, ouch, I wonder if Gasifier is frozen.::-)
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/headline2/

Accu Weather has us with the windchill at minus 48 tonight.
-21° RealFeel® -48° Precipitation 12%

This week is the first time in 2 years its actually felt like winter. Single digit lows all week.

Be careful what you ask for, you may get it.

The last 3 mornings I've woken up to temps ranging from -25 at the warmest, and -31 at the coldest. Wind chills have ranged from -30 to -57 that I've seen.

-57! :eek: At that point it is no longer wind chill. More like wind freeze to any part of flesh that is foolish enough to be exposed.

Reactions: Swedishchef
-57! :eek: At that point it is no longer wind chill. More like wind freeze to any part of flesh that is foolish enough to be exposed.
All the weather up here seems to be like that. We have sent a nice artic cold front down to the US. That's not quite the gift that keeps giving now is it...

Andrew

Definitely colder than my preferences. You Canadians could have kept that all to yourselves. :)

Tonights low 1F.

Looking ahead at the 10 day, this will probably end up as the coldest day of the season. Stove is cranking.

We broke 40 today. Delightful.

We had minus 20 with a windchill at -28, the basement was 83, the livingroom upstairs is 72 and the bedroom is 69.

currently 5 degrees here, feels like -16 (at 11am with the sun shinning)

Still a lame winter tho, looks like were in that crap pattern of too cold to snow and then too warm and it rains. sucky for a snowmobiler...

Reactions: zap
I'm in MA this week for work. About 3* this AM. Getting ready to catch a bird back home. I miss the wood heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.