• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marylander

Feb 10, 2016
Kensginton, MD
I'm looking for some help from seasoned insert burners to decide which FPX hybrid insert to buy: large or small. My house is a 2000 sq ft rancher including a finished basement. The living room with fireplace is only 400 sq ft and the first floor with kitchen, dining room, and three bedrooms is 1300 sq ft total. House was built in 1957 with average insulation. Located outside of DC in Maryland so winters can get cold but we're not talking brutal Canadian winters here.

I can fit the large unit but I really don't want to over-heat my living room and I'm concerned that a 3 cu ft firebox (large hybrid) would be overkill. I know the hybrid units have a catalytic which would allow me to burn low but would I always be immediately turning the air control all the way down? The large unit is rated up to 2500 sq ft! Would I be wasting wood with the large unit? Does anyone have experience with the large hybrid in a small living room?

The alternative is to go with the small unit with only a 1.2 cu ft firebox which is rated 650-1000 sq ft. This seems closer to my needs considering my living room is only 400 sq ft. I would have to get a custom surround made because my fireplace opening is 30" high which exceeds the 25"-high surround.

Now to complicate things further, the large hybrid manual states that it was EPA tested to produce between 8,500 - 35,300 BTU/hr and the small unit puts out between 9800 - 31,400 BTU/hr. So apparently the large unit actually can burn lower than the small unit? Does that make sense?

I have gas heat and will be using the insert for nights/weekend use, not full time burning. I'm concerned about emissions, so going with one of the very low polluting hybrids appeals to me. If Travis made a ~2 cu ft hybrid insert that is probably what I would get but doesn't seem like they've gotten around to it yet.

Any and all help/comments are appreciated. Thanks.

I have the Large Flush insert. My house has average insulation and very old windows. I have a dutch colonial with about 2,300 sq. ft. I was debating the same as you. I highly recommend getting the Large one with the Cat. It can burn for 10-12 hours and it heats my house in the dead of winter. We keep it around 70 in the house, including the top floor, but on days when its 15 degrees or higher we can easily raise the temp up if we continually loaded it to above 70. On days when its -20 and windy (which aren't that many but we will get them), I can get it to 70 but have to load it up every 6-8 hours.

It is an awesome insert and it wouldnt be a problem with your set up.

Reactions: marylander
I have the Large Flush insert. My house has average insulation and very old windows. I have a dutch colonial with about 2,300 sq. ft. I was debating the same as you. I highly recommend getting the Large one with the Cat. It can burn for 10-12 hours and it heats my house in the dead of winter. We keep it around 70 in the house, including the top floor, but on days when its 15 degrees or higher we can easily raise the temp up if we continually loaded it to above 70. On days when its -20 and windy (which aren't that many but we will get them), I can get it to 70 but have to load it up every 6-8 hours.

It is an awesome insert and it wouldnt be a problem with your set up.
Davo, thanks for the recommendation. How big is you living room (assuming that's where the fireplace is)? Are you able to maintain a reasonable temperature when going full-bore?

What is your experience running low with the 10-12 hour burn times? Do you have to monitor the CAT temperature with the probe?

How open is the floor plan? Is the living room closed off by a doorway or wide open to the kitchen and DR?

I'm looking for some help from seasoned insert burners to decide which FPX hybrid insert to buy: large or small. My house is a 2000 sq ft rancher including a finished basement. The living room with fireplace is only 400 sq ft and the first floor with kitchen, dining room, and three bedrooms is 1300 sq ft total. House was built in 1957 with average insulation. Located outside of DC in Maryland so winters can get cold but we're not talking brutal Canadian winters here.

I can fit the large unit but I really don't want to over-heat my living room and I'm concerned that a 3 cu ft firebox (large hybrid) would be overkill. I know the hybrid units have a catalytic which would allow me to burn low but would I always be immediately turning the air control all the way down? The large unit is rated up to 2500 sq ft! Would I be wasting wood with the large unit? Does anyone have experience with the large hybrid in a small living room?

The alternative is to go with the small unit with only a 1.2 cu ft firebox which is rated 650-1000 sq ft. This seems closer to my needs considering my living room is only 400 sq ft. I would have to get a custom surround made because my fireplace opening is 30" high which exceeds the 25"-high surround.

Now to complicate things further, the large hybrid manual states that it was EPA tested to produce between 8,500 - 35,300 BTU/hr and the small unit puts out between 9800 - 31,400 BTU/hr. So apparently the large unit actually can burn lower than the small unit? Does that make sense?

I have gas heat and will be using the insert for nights/weekend use, not full time burning. I'm concerned about emissions, so going with one of the very low polluting hybrids appeals to me. If Travis made a ~2 cu ft hybrid insert that is probably what I would get but doesn't seem like they've gotten around to it yet.

Any and all help/comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Get the large one. I got one. It's a long term investment. Even for recreational fires bigger glass will do you more good. Is you fireplace and chimney internal or is it on outer wall? if this is internal you can burn with blower off or on low and heat will be stored in stone around it and released later at slower pace.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input.
Attached a copy of the floor plan and a picture of the living room. Chimney is external on the side of the living room. It doesn't feel that small but it's really only a couple hundred square feet (20'x13'=208 sq ft). The living room opens into the DR with no door and a hallway which leads to the three bedrooms on the back of the house. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 1st_Floor.JPG
    1st_Floor.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 320
  • Basement.JPG
    Basement.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 305
  • living_room.jpg
    living_room.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 284
You should be ok with the large unit. The large opening to the other parts of the house will help a lot. 2500 sq ft is the maximum area this insert will heat and even that is an estimate depending on many variables including climate zone, house insulation, ceiling height, wood species burned, etc.. The lower range is listed as 1500 sq ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.