Largest wood burning inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Most find it more beneficial to put a rear venting freestanding stove in front of the fireplace. You might also look into a wood furnace and hooking into your duct work with that much sq footage.

Another larger insert is the: Buck Stove model 91

I started looking into wood burning furnace add-ons. I'm located in Connecticut, and other than big box stores or online, I can't even find a place that sells and installs them.

After doing some more research on them, they sound promising in terms of being able to heat a large area. Just not sure if they are available anymore around here.

if you're pulling the prefab out then you can't install an insert. you don't have a fireplace in which to insert it. you can't place an insert into a framed alcove. you could put a freestanding stove in an alcove, or a high efficacy fire place in and get yourself more options.

The first shop I spoke with said the osburn horizon was a zero clearance insert. Turns out it may actually be a fireplace and not an insert. That’s why I’m confused about the difference.

So you’re probably correct that I need a high efficiency fireplace or a free standing stove. At least a can narrow my search knowing that.

Good point on the interior shape, that never crossed my mind.
Forgot to mention, the Buck 91 also is a trapezoid. Harder to pack full, but I usually had some splits that were bigger at one end. As bugsy said, it's not real tall under the cat flame shield. OTOH it's well-designed and built like a tank. My sig pic is the 91 burning in a new load. It can be an insert or free-standing, but if you are going free-standing, I might get something with a square or rectangular shape. Square could be loaded N-S (front to back) or E-W.

The first shop I spoke with said the osburn horizon was a zero clearance insert. Turns out it may actually be a fireplace and not an insert. That’s why I’m confused about the difference.

So you’re probably correct that I need a high efficiency fireplace or a free standing stove. At least a can narrow my search knowing that.
Yes it is a fireplace not an insert. Which is what you need. An insert will not work

You could save yourself a lot of time, money & hassle, since you pulled the pre-fab out, replace it with a large freestanding. Should not take up much more space then the pre-fab did.

This would also offer the ability to install a damper if needed.

Last edited:
You could save yourself a lot of time, money & hassle, since you pulled the pre-fab out, replace it with a large freestanding. Should not take up much more space then the pre-fab did.

This would also offer the ability to install a damper if needed.

Not sure why none of my local shops said this was an option.

What would be the benefit to a large free standing over a high efficiency fireplace (other than cost which you mentioned)?

What would be the benefit to a large free standing over a high efficiency fireplace (other than cost which you mentioned)?
Better heat output without fans. More options. Many stoves use standard firebrick so cheaper maintenance

I'm not getting the loss of heat using a wood furnace. Sure there is loss but that loss is mostly contained in the living space.

Seriously less cost. Possibility of installing a damper if found to be needed due to too strong a draft from tall stack, may not be an issue, but if it is, you have the option to add a damper to slow it down. More choices of stoves. No need for blower, but you may want to consider getting one anyways, just in case you want to circulate the heater air around better on colder days/nights. More choices of positioning of the stove. Cooking surface in power outages, or just for the hell of it. No expensive refractory panels. And with a nice cultured stone wall behind it, it just looks f'n cool!

I'm not getting the loss of heat using a wood furnace. Sure there is loss but that loss is mostly contained in the living space.

Spoke with some shops. Sounds like wood furnaces aren't legal in my area. So unfortunately, won't be able to go that route.

Seriously less cost. Possibility of installing a damper if found to be needed due to too strong a draft from tall stack, may not be an issue, but if it is, you have the option to add a damper to slow it down. More choices of stoves. No need for blower, but you may want to consider getting one anyways, just in case you want to circulate the heater air around better on colder days/nights. More choices of positioning of the stove. Cooking surface in power outages, or just for the hell of it. No expensive refractory panels. And with a nice cultured stone wall behind it, it just looks f'n cool!

Good selling points.

Spoke with my current favorite local shop. A free standing stove is an option, and it would knock roughly $2000 off the cost of the project. So awesome advice.

Good selling points.

Spoke with my current favorite local shop. A free standing stove is an option, and it would knock roughly $2000 off the cost of the project. So awesome advice.
Lots of options. Some of that cash saved can go towards that cultured stone behind the stove, with money left over for a lil vaca.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Deluge21 you said you are from CT. Go to Deans stove and spa. They might be not the most customer oriented dealer but they have awesome show room. Then are pushing Travis Ind. products, but they also have others. You could see in one place all different options. They even have Blaze King King stove. That’s a 4.4cf fire box monster running on 8”flue it’s a free standing stove. They also have tulikivi products.

Deluge21 you said you are from CT. Go to Deans stove and spa. They might be not the most customer oriented dealer but they have awesome show room. Then are pushing Travis Ind. products, but they also have others. You could see in one place all different options. They even have Blaze King King stove. That’s a 4.4cf fire box monster running on 8”flue it’s a free standing stove. They also have tulikivi products.

I actually found that place a few days ago online, and was completely blown away by the pictures of their showroom. May have to make a trip up there.

Just to clarify. Dean's is no longer representing our products. They do have a fantastic store and Travis makes some great products.

I called about 15 different shops, and nobody will touch wood furnaces in this state. So I've given up exploring that route.

Interesting, I found the ban on OWB's so I guess people don't want to touch anything wood furnace related, even though a wood furnace is inside and acts like a woodstove with plenum attached to it and is EPA certified.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2017/rpt/pdf/2017-R-0198.pdf