Last Weekends Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redlegs

Feeling the Heat
I had hit it once before for a quick load, but Sunday and Monday I put in some real effort on the Mulberry patch. Its just a fence row of trees that I found on CL. The first half mile was all cottonwood and hackberry, but way down on the end was 100 yards of mulberry. I dropped and pulled home two loads on Sunday. Then spent Monday morning till noon working on the splitter. The picts show the splitter HOZ , from when I was splitting out of the trailers, or were waist high or better in the big pile of rounds. I went VRT on the splitter once I started in on the rounds that were already on the ground. I can't use a milk crate for long (too low), but found a litter taller round that worked nice for a seat while working VRT. Started stacking last night - I got all the splits off the ground, and just need to empty the Dodge trailer. They're calling for 8-10in snow tonight so I'm not sure when I'll get to it. Istill need to borrow the splitter one more day, and finish the big pile of rounds. Not sure if it shows up real well in the pict, but there is oak, elm, and old mulberry in the big pile of rounds, along with the new mulberry.

I've used the official "beer math" cord calulator (work for eight hours without eating, stop working and drink two good beers quick...then eyeball your piles and make a best guess) and I have determined I've got a couple three cords worked so far this month-ish. :)

Attachments

• 2013-02-03 13.32.47.jpg
    2013-02-03 13.32.47.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 2013-02-18 09.23.52.jpg
    2013-02-18 09.23.52.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 2013-02-18 09.24.05.jpg
    2013-02-18 09.24.05.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 184
  • 2013-02-18 10.01.19.jpg
    2013-02-18 10.01.19.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 2013-02-18 10.01.26.jpg
    2013-02-18 10.01.26.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 174
Great work there Red! Looks like a nice open place to place stacks for good seasoning.

Reactions: Redlegs
It's hard to see in the pile , but there really is a some oak. It's hard to come by in my area butI got one. Hopefully I can get a splitter back down there again and I'll get it split.

Reactions: ScotO
Good luck on the storm tonight Redlegs. We're hoping it all gets dumped out there and will be dry coming through here.

Nice stack you've got goin!

I love that trailer, Ive always wanted an old pickup bed trailer. Did you make it yourself?

I love that trailer, Ive always wanted an old pickup bed trailer. Did you make it yourself?​

Thanks. I didnt make the trailer. A man to the west half a section did. He was a bolier tech for the Navy many years ago. His eyes are starting to go a little, but he welds everything heavy and strong so when he hung the "For Sale" sign on that trailer I jumped on it. It's real solid.

Good luck on the storm tonight Redlegs. We're hoping it all gets dumped out there and will be dry coming through here.​

Dennis, thanks for the kind words on the storm. We are doing fine. It dropped about 8 inches here. TV said as much as 14-16 inches up toward the Nebraska boarder. Power is on and the insert is fired up so we are enjoying a relaxing afternnoon. I did make the boys shovel out the older neighbor to the east. Once he could get out to his shed, he fired up his tractor and cleaned all the the drives in the neighborhood. Now we are reading and watching TV. I am prob gonna find a blanket and get in a couch nap.==c

We sure needed the moisture, so I'll take this snow and more if we could.

Looking good.
Very nice stacks of premium fire wood.

Is this storm gonna slow down your wood processing?

Good work Redlegs. Those will be some great BTUs for you in the future. We got a few inches here recently, supposedly a possible two to four inches today. I haven't seen it yet though.

Is this storm gonna slow down your wood processing?​

Dave I could have gone out I guess. It's been snowing off and on, mixed with a little freezing rain/mist today. Winds been blowing out of the east here, wierd for this time of year here, but the drifts aren't bad at all. Prob only 10 -ish inches of snow total so far, so all in all not too bad. I did suspend processing, but only cause I had the whole family here and a "down day" was just what everyone needed. I didn't need to work wood , so I just layed low. One of those hot coco, a movie, and warm fire days. :cool:

snowing off and on, mixed with a little freezing rain/mist today

"snowing off and on, mixed with a little freezing rain/mist today" IS:
miserable weather to do anything but "duck hunt". :)

Good day to be inside !

Looks great.

Mulberry is interesting wood. Over the years, I have obtained some from fallen branches from a neighbor's tree. I like it. It burns well, but will snap, crackle and pop even after 3 to 4 years in the stack. If I let any air into the stove, even with some that are pretty close to embers, they will spit sparks out the door. Don't think I would recommend burning a full stove load of this stuff. I always mix it with other woods.

Mulberry is interesting wood. Over the years, I have obtained some from fallen branches from a neighbor's tree. I like it. It burns well, but will snap, crackle and pop even after 3 to 4 years in the stack. If I let any air into the stove, even with some that are pretty close to embers, they will spit sparks out the door​

I have had Hedge ( Osage Orange) do that ...well hack almost everytime, but hadn't had that with mulberry. A guy at work just said that he saw on a TV show that the BBQ pros will use mulberry for the main fire, and then just season the smoke with hickory or misqette. Anyhow, my hedge will thow sparks pretty regular, but I cant say that I recall mulberry acting that way. Anyone else?

No experience Redlegs
I think whats in this area of NY is planted nursery stock. My best friend had a mulberry in her front yard. She made kickass mulberry wine with it. Dont know how to tell the red from the white. ??? Is it the wood? or the berries??
Can you take some pics of the splits?? I would love to see a closeup of the wood grain.
Fruit wood is pretty nice wood on a whole.
You have some great pics. Thanks

Not being terribly knowledgeable, I distinguish between mulberries by the color of the berry. The mulberry I burn is not white mulberry. The wood is quite dark with a reddish tinge. The white mulberry wood I have seen is much lighter in color, although the grain seems similar. I have a neighbor in back of my house who has a young white mulberry that leans over my fence. Would really like him to take it down while it's young. It's a trash tree.

Here's a photo of the "purple" mulberry wood.

DSC02192r.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.