Leaks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Small wood

Sep 11, 2013
Has anybody out there had problems with the water jacket on the outside leaking, the welds are split and I don't know why this is, it is a cb and also has spray in foam, I can see the foam has held a lot of water the steel on the bottom 2 " has thinned out it is only 6 yrs old I use treatment as well,any in put would help.........

Sorry for your loss - sounds like that unit is toast. Did you contact the manufacturer or dealer you bought from?
I have to ship it to another state I pay shipping then they will fix it and I pay shipping to bring it back,NOT HAPPY!

I have to ship it to another state I pay shipping then they will fix it and I pay shipping to bring it back,NOT HAPPY!

I've run into more than a few CB's that appeared to have rusted through from the outside in, underneath the foam insulation. Don't know what causes that but your is not an isolated incident. Saw a 4 year old Maxim last fall that was leaking for the third time. The owner had decided to foot the bill himself and just pay a welder to come and repair the unit rather than paying for shipping back to the factory. He said "three strikes and out" and terminated the "relationship". Felt bad for the guy. Along with the leaks he had a stack of repair bills (non warranty) an inch thick which totaled over $1,800 on the unit.
Last I heard he took CB to small claims court for $5,000 and won.

Reactions: flyingcow

I wonder how much money the OWB manufacturers have saved themselves (stolen?) just by situations like this & their policy on fixing things. How many people would uproot something that massive once it's in place and go through all the hassles of loading & unloading it, unistalling it & re-installing it, even if shipping was free? Throw in 'you pay shipping both ways' and I bet there are a crap-load of leaking out-of-commision OWBs all over this continent. Really feel sorry for people in these situations - this stuff ain't cheap.

I wonder how much money the OWB manufacturers have saved themselves (stolen?) just by situations like this & their policy on fixing things. How many people would uproot something that massive once it's in place and go through all the hassles of loading & unloading it, unistalling it & re-installing it, even if shipping was free? Throw in 'you pay shipping both ways' and I bet there are a crap-load of leaking out-of-commision OWBs all over this continent. Really feel sorry for people in these situations - this stuff ain't cheap.

Thanks for your input I had to hire a welder to fix mine as well,I thought i was the only one with this big of problem I was under the impression a 25 yr warranty would cover this problem. I guess I should have read the fine print better I would not get it if I was buying a new stove.......

I've run into more than a few CB's that appeared to have rusted through from the outside in, underneath the foam insulation. Don't know what causes that but your is not an isolated incident. Saw a 4 year old Maxim last fall that was leaking for the third time. The owner had decided to foot the bill himself and just pay a welder to come and repair the unit rather than paying for shipping back to the factory. He said "three strikes and out" and terminated the "relationship". Felt bad for the guy. Along with the leaks he had a stack of repair bills (non warranty) an inch thick which totaled over $1,800 on the unit.
Last I heard he took CB to small claims court for $5,000 and won.

Sounds like a legitimate class action suit should be done.-`

Status
Not open for further replies.