Leather Work gloves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jmb6420

Burning Hunk
Jun 25, 2019
NE Oklahoma
I've been using Wells Lamont premium leather work gloves when working the wood pile. So far I'm not real happy with them. In one day I will wear holes in the thumb and index finger on my right hand. I currently have 5 lonely left hand gloves. What does everyone on here use for work gloves. $11 /day is killing me.

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Republic
Northern tool 37t splitter

I bought a larger pack, maybe 20 pair, of the Atlas Showa dipped gloves. They hold up way longer than leather at a fraction of the cost. I also have a pack of their insulated dipped gloves that I also use for spreading salt at work.

I bought a larger pack, maybe 20 pair, of the Atlas Showa dipped gloves. They hold up way longer than leather at a fraction of the cost. I also have a pack of their insulated dipped gloves that I also use for spreading salt at work.
Thanks. I just ordered a dozen off Amazon. $26/dz. If I can get a full day out of them it'll be great.

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Republic

I use the Mechanix Automotive gloves from Lowes. seem to hold up well unless i'm working with stone.
Thanks, I've tried them, maybe I'm just rough on gloves. I need to go cheap and disposable if I guess.

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Republic

Thanks. I just ordered a dozen off Amazon. $26/dz. If I can get a full day out of them it'll be great.

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Republic
Usually a pair last me weeks.

We use the 16010's at work for handling steel and machinery. At home I've gone through 3 pair in 4 years, handling wood, landscaping, on the farm. They're tough.
I was given a set of three "rugged wear" from menards (3 for $5.40). Handled a few rounds on the splitter, and promply shredded a pair - shredded - never seen anything like it. The 16010's are used in industry:

I order from Carolina Glove Company. When they wear out, as long as I'm not sending more money to China it doesn't bother me as much. I only use them a couple days a week, but they last a couple months usually.

I use the dipped gloves also. More grip than leather.

Reactions: SpaceBus
We use the 16010's at work for handling steel and machinery. At home I've gone through 3 pair in 4 years, handling wood, landscaping, on the farm. They're tough.
I was given a set of three "rugged wear" from menards (3 for $5.40). Handled a few rounds on the splitter, and promply shredded a pair - shredded - never seen anything like it. The 16010's are used in industry:

Wow! I just checked and Amazon carries them too. At $60 for 12, that's only $5 a pair and they last! - I'm ordering them. I don't know what it is, but I just hate spending $10 or $15 for what I think is a decent pair of leather gloves and having a hole in the thumb or one of the fingers by the end of the day. I will duct tape those spots to extend the life, but would rather not! :)

I get these at Harbor Freight. They seem to last as long as any out there.

Attachments

• 64182_W4.jpg
    64182_W4.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 177
I have had good luck with harbor freight leather gloves. Good as any other anyway. The duct tape trick brought back old memories of my plywood green chain days. We had to buy our own gloves so by the end of the week they were mostly duct tape!

....We had to buy our own gloves so by the end of the week they were mostly duct tape!

Ditto on duct tape! I have prolonged the lives of many a pair of gloves this way, and in far less time than it takes to drive out for a new pair. It's always the pressure points that suffer holes first, mainly on the fingers. To patch a hole, fold the end of the tape over on itself for a distance just longer than the width of the hole. With your hand (or tool handle the diameter of your thumb/finger) in the glove, place that end over the hole, wrap the tape around the finger of the glove a few times, and cut off so that the cut end is well away from the hole. Folding the end of the tape over gives you a non-stick surface against your skin. After a second patching job on the same finger, it's probably a good idea to remove the old, worn tape before putting new tape on

I order from Carolina Glove Company. When they wear out, as long as I'm not sending more money to China it doesn't bother me as much. I only use them a couple days a week, but they last a couple months usually.

Do a little research on how much in U.S. Treasury Bonds that China owns. Your taxes pay the enormous interest payments to China. You're paying either way, might as well save yourself a little money on gloves.

Do a little research on how much in U.S. Treasury Bonds that China owns. Your taxes pay the enormous interest payments to China. You're paying either way, might as well save yourself a little money on gloves.
Hmm. So if I pay less taxes, China gets less money, if I'm hearing you correctly. I'm not too good at math, but I'll consider that. I'm OK with paying taxes, and with paying a little more for gloves, too.

My thought on this is that I simply like the idea of supporting the people in my own little corner of the world first. There are lots of issues with that sentiment, I suppose, but that's how I like to do things when I can.

Hmm. So if I pay less taxes, China gets less money, if I'm hearing you correctly. I'm not too good at math, but I'll consider that. I'm OK with paying taxes, and with paying a little more for gloves, too.

My thought on this is that I simply like the idea of supporting the people in my own little corner of the world first. There are lots of issues with that sentiment, I suppose, but that's how I like to do things when I can.
My guess is you probably don't like the immigrant folks who are sewing your gloves right here in the good old U.S .of A., either. If it's a public company making the gloves, lots of the profits go to foreign wealth funds, and liberal non-profits who own the stock, and are opposed to your opinions. If it's not a public company, there is a good chance it might be owned by one of the feisty immigrants who wanted a better life for himself and his family.

I really should stop wasting my time...

Reactions: SpaceBus
OK. Sorry. I was just trying to help the OP find info on gloves.

And, no, your assumptions about my views are completely off base. Maybe not so edgy, OK?

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I dont wear gloves very often but if i do i use tilman 1354 or their tig gloves. Im a creature of habit and have used these for years while welding. They are the most comfortable gloves to me as i naturally dont care to wear gloves in the first place. The tig gloves arent as durable as the 1354s but they feel amazing.

I've generally been a fan of the basic deerskin leather gloves at TSC for $15 or so but I seem to keep working through them faster and faster. Thinking about trying a pair of the mostly leather mechanics gloves. $10 more but if they last twice as long its a good deal.

I ended up buying 3 different types of dipped gloves to see which worked best. A week later in still on the first pair! They are far superior to leather for working with wood. As soon as they wear out I'll move on to the other samples. Right now I'm using nitrile coated gloves from Northern Tool. I've also got the rubber coated from Northern Tool and some
Showa Atlas 300 dipped gloves. Avg. Cost about $4/pr.

I ended up buying 3 different types of dipped gloves to see which worked best. A week later in still on the first pair! They are far superior to leather for working with wood. As soon as they wear out I'll move on to the other samples. Right now I'm using nitrile coated gloves from Northern Tool. I've also got the rubber coated from Northern Tool and some
Showa Atlas 300 dipped gloves. Avg. Cost about $4/pr.
A couple weeks ago I went out cutting with a pair of dipped nitrile, with a kevlar fabric. 35deg, damp and drizzle, wet damp wood, my hands got very cold in a short amount of time, even near a warm saw. That experiment didn't work. There must be insulated varieties that would solve that issue.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 158