Let's do this!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Riteway

Burning Hunk
Jul 27, 2020
Kitsap County, WA
I installed an insert last fall with help from y'all, and squeaked through the winter with a combination of marginally-seasoned wood, cut up pallets, and sawdust logs. Also experienced a bit of a learning curve on learning how to operate a modern wood stove.

Today, I've got 4 cords of CSS wood with a moisture reading of 15 percent, and another 3 cords seasoning for next winter. Just got done sweeping the chimney and giving the insert a thorough cleaning.

Only problem now is...we're having some absolutely glorious late summer weather in the PNW! Gonna be awhile before I can spark one up. This is the first time in my life that I've actually been impatient for the gray and rainy station to start...

IMG_20210901_160846837.jpg

IMG_20210901_130349823.jpg

IMG_20210901_130319774.jpg

How beautiful you wood storage is and I love that idea of the tree bark roofing--great..I guess it works your using it..I will lite my stove up for the first time on Sept 28 and I got some kiln dried oak wood that is just waiting to be lite by the stove installer and maybe I will have a few people over..lol lol. Exciting times lighting the wood stoves..Your ready mrs clancey

WELL done holzhausens! How much is in each one?

WELL done holzhausens! How much is in each one?

Thanks! About 2.5 cords each, I figure. 8 foot diameter, 7 feet tall. I don't plan on stacking any more of those--takes a lot of time. But it was a good form of exercise and stress relief back when everything was locked down.

Reactions: EbS-P
It won’t be long. It was 41 outside this morning, I could see my breath. Only 65 in the house. Nothing wrong with a little shoulder season burning. Almost always starts in mid September.