Lets talk about PE Alderlea T6 and the EBT...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not convinced that this is happening on the Summit yet, but could be convinced it some folks see the problem Frank and I are noting on the T6. When working correctly, the amount of air supplied to the fire by the EBT should reduce as one approaches overfire temps. This is not what Frank saw with his test. Now it needs to be determined whether this is occurring on just the T6 with its greater mass or on the Summit as well. Gentlemen, start your stoves.

north of 60 said:
jpl1nh said:
north of 60 said:
I think VC bought PE out. :shut:
Yeeeouch!! Don't get too smug just cause you've got a BlazeKing! :lol:

Yes I know what you mean. :red: BUT I figured I could at least get the EBT (extended burn time) going in this thread since theirs isnt workin. :lol: OK Ill stop now and go fuss with my old fashioned outa date by-pass damper/Cat for Ivy Frank.
Alright, we won't expect any more posts from you for a few hours cause I know that closing them by-pass dampers on those fussy cats can get pretty technical and complicated and all just for a long trouble free, over-fire proof burn time. ;-)

why would you want the EBT to give you more air when its burning at higher temp.cause you dont want a longer burn time?cause you dont want to be in control of the burn time and temp?if it was to work properly you would want it closed at higher temps.then as the stove cools down and the draft from the chimney lowers cause of less heat.you then would want more air to bring the temps back up and keep the coals going.yes my EBT is working better than ever.its sitting on my shelf.

rg500930 said:
why would you want the EBT to give you more air when its burning at higher temp.cause you dont want a longer burn time?cause you dont want to be in control of the burn time and temp?if it was to work properly you would want it closed at higher temps.then as the stove cools down and the draft from the chimney lowers cause of less heat.you then would want more air to bring the temps back up and keep the coals going.yes my EBT is working better than ever.its sitting on my shelf.

The EBT is only supposed to open as the load is warming up or cooling down according to this diagram (bottom of the page).
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hoebt.htm

When the stove is in the cooler or hottest stages the EBT hole should be closed. What I think many of us are seeing is that the EBT appears to be out of calibration, requiring too high a stove bottom temp to start opening up. That puts it opening at peak temp, not where you want it. My stove is now up to 675 stove top (387 bottom temp next to EBT) and it's still not opened.

RG500930 now I know why you have been inventing and fussing with your contraptions. This way you are sure you will know witch way your stove will work and know what the _ell is happening. Sorry for so many questions on the other thread. It all makes more sense to me.
N of 60

rg500930 said:
try turning your fan on for a while and off and see if the temperature changes at the EBT.i'm just curious

No fan or OAK on this system. Door gasket checks out fine too.

last night i loaded up the insert,chard the wood etc.i fell asleep on the couch in front of the fire.i woke up i think 1-2 hours later and the temp was getting close to 700.i dont like those temps for over night burns.i dampened it down.went back on the couch and tossed and turned.i couldnt sleep.figures cause i had to work at 6am.anyways later on during the night i looked and the temp was around 480f.so i figure i would set the controller to 500f.after i set it the temp went up to 500 and stayed there.i could hear the air valve clicking on and off for a while.maybe hear it click once every 15min.sorry my times arent accurate.i was dozing on and off trying to sleep.so it seems to be working.for a while now during the day when im at home.ive been burning 2"-3" pieces of wood(branches)so i havent been playing with the controller cause of the shorter burn times from the smaller wood.

I have never been able to notice the EBT doing anything. I can't say that it's not. I do get really long burns.

I wish they would rig the thing to open as the stove cools off and stay there. I would love that extra air at the end of the burn to help get rid of the coals.

EBT may be a gimmick but PE still makes a really good stove.

Ok, this is a great thread - Thanks to everybody!! What I have learned is that my EBT "IS" working, but just at higher temps than I expected it to. I guess it is designed to open at higher temps to supply more air and keep the secondaries going which keeps burning off more gases. But it is designed to do this at the HIGH end of the stove range.

I guess I am still on the fench as to if I like this. If I operate my stove at 500-650 range - it does not open, so I dont care if it is on the stove. But at higher temps - it opens and make it a super heat output machine! Then closes to preserve the coals. I could get the super high temps by manually opening the promary, but then my coals would die quicker.

So I am kinda leaning towards keeping it on the stove. I do however think it does make the stove a little harder to operate - because you never know if its going to open and take off! I need to digest all this a little more - but I do think it works on my stove - at the high 700+ temps.

I really like what rg has done - made it operate at lower temps if he wishes - thats sweet in my book!!!!

P.S. - I still LOVE my stove - but maybe on the fence about the EBT.

I took the EBT off the stove today when I was cleaning it. Here's a little video of how it operates. I used my heat gun to warm it up. The video is accelerated 4x to speed up the action.

Status
Not open for further replies.