Life Expectancy of a Modern Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
I have had my stove (the only one I ever had) for 12 years now. After disassembling many of the internal parts for cleaning and gasket changing, I notice some minor to moderate surface rust, but, other than that, nothing I would call major deterioration. I am just wondering how long the average modern stove is expected to last before it needs replacement. I see that you can buy parts online, but I can't imagine most of the parts (especially cast iron) wearing out (unless they crack or warp). I realize the answer to this question likely varies with material (steel vs cast, soapstone etc), size, brand, whether it is a cat stove or not, and a bunch of other possible reasons including, of course, how it is used and cared for. But, there must be a general typical range in years (or maybe forever ... I don't know). Aside from replacing parts (and maybe the price of parts not making repair cost effective), and damage caused by accidents (over firing for example), what wear and tear type conditions/causes might lead to replacement of the entire stove?

As you have noted it depends a lot on the stove design, how the stove is run and how much. A stove that burns 6 cords a year is going to wear faster than one that burns 2 cords a year. Average lifespan is typically 20-30 yrs at least, some longer. Often by then the stove is somewhat obsolete.

If you maintain it and don't abuse it, it'll last a very long time. Eventually, you may find that the manufacturer moves on and no longer makes parts for your stove. Sometimes the aftermarket will step in, sometimes it doesn't. I can also see legislation forcing people to replace stoves due to emissions requirements.

Let's say that the stove is well maintained throughout its use and you can still get parts (and they are cost effective vs buying a new stove), and there are no regulatory issues. None of this is likely, of course, but, what might eventually cause a failure requiring the replacement of the stove?

It depends on the stove construction and complexity. In most general terms, the simpler and stouter the stove design, the less likely it is going to have issues in the long haul. In a complex stove it might be the bypass mechanism. Some stoves have sacrificial burn plates that get hard to find. In others it might be the latching mechanism or hinges.

Eventually welds will crack through continued expansion and contraction of the metal.

Cast iron joints could wear from the same process.

Consistent firing is going to make it last longer. Wild swings from cold start to near overfire to a cold start to a near overfire over and over will cause warping and cracking. A hot stove kept hot takes much attention, but is better for stove IMO.

IMHO a cast iron stove will last longer than a similar plate steel stove. Of course a poorly built cast iron stove (the infamous Scandia's) will wear out faster than a well built plate stove (Fishers). It really comes down to the manufacturer and price point. A higher end stove will usually be built to be repaired with internal wear components designed to be replaced and initially designed to last longer. The trade off is price, a knock off chain store brand costs less to produce and the owner doesn't worry about stocking spares or warranty coverage.