Lifespan of a catalyst thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mwhitnee

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2015
Central Mass, USA
I have a Blaze King King, and I just replaced the combustor for the first time a few minutes ago. It is running happily after a nice chimney sweep with a new brush.

I just wanted to know when people typically replace these thermometers, as this one's around 6 years old. It seems to be working ok, just didn't know if the metal in the spring fatigues over time and should be replaced. I got the metal combustor from Midwest Hearth and the thermometer jumped up pretty quickly to active

I cleaned it up with my bench grinder with a mild wire wheel brush.

While I'm on the subject, I'd like to know when people replace their damper gaskets.

Thanks everybody! Didn't have my stove for two days and I already missed it.

It’s not a highly precise device. If, when it’s cold, the pointer is aimed at the bottom of the inactive zone then it’s fine. My original one broke because I kept adjusting the zero point. I replaced it with a much cooler one ordered from condar that has actual numbers. It was like 30$.

How did you zero it in?

Clamp the probe, turn the bolt head on top to loosen, rotate the face so the needle points to where it should, retighten set bolt.