Liner Advice Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angus.Young

Dec 15, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hello,

I purchased a stove last year. Some details are in this thread https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/newb-needs-advice.78393/ now it is time for me to get a liner.

I have some questions regarding this. My chimney is clay lined masonry. It is mostly inside the garage which will be heated to just above freezing in the winter. The last 8 or so feet are outside the house as can be seen in some of the pictures in the other thread.

I guess my questions are, the OD is 11.5 by 11.5 and the inside is about 9.5 X 9.5 so I’m guessing a 6 inch liner should not be too much of an issue to fit thru there? Ideally I’d rather not pay the extra for the insulation kit if I don`t need it. But if I do, then I can deal with that.

Another question is the liner itself. I measured the chimney from the top of current old stove to top of the terra cotta at 19 feet. Will a 20 foot liner be long enough? Its straight other than the smoke shelf bend, which I guess I measured kind of by going up from inside with a tape measure. I could buy the 25 feet, but again I’d rather not incur the extra expense if I don`t need to.

I guess the question is with the appliance connector, and the top plate. How much length would that give me? Does the top plate basically hold the liner right at the top of the terra cotta tile? Or a bit lower or higher?

Last question, for now at least. Does anyone know which place would be the best to order from? I am in Canada, so the main issue is the place with the best Shipping price. I was currently looking at Rockford Chimney, but am definitely open to others if they sell a quality product and offer hopefully cheaper shipping prices to Canada.

I`m sure i will have more questions as things become more clear to me. Thanks in advance for all the advice. I really appreciate this great forum and how helpful all the members are.

If those chimney tiles are good and straight, you should be fine using an insulated liner and I would recommend using the insulated liner since it sounds like this stove will be run pretty low, and the chimney will remain cool. With it being insulated, the chimney will stay cleaner and it gives you an extra layer of protection in the event that there are ever any compromises in the masonry chimney itself. Call up which ever company you decide to go with, and ask the minimum diameter of the chimney for the insulated setup just to be sure. If there are any problems, you can use a product called thermix.

As far as the length of the liner goes, were you hoping to connect the liner directly to the stove? It won't look that pretty on a freestander, but I suppose they do it on inserts so it should be alright although I can say I have not seen it done. My only concern is that the corregated liner can be penetrated by a knife or other sharp object if caught inbetween the ribs. If there is ever a chance that things could bump into the liner (especially in the summer when the stove isn't running), I'd use the adapter that will allow you to switch over to single wall pipe. Make sure all your clearances are appropriate no matter what you do.

The appliance connector just goes right on the end, the top plate won't have the liner sticking up out of it either. So, I'd say you are fine with 20 feet, especially if you use regular pipe from the stove up to the liner.

Not sure about your area, but garage stoves are frowned upon in many locales, especially if fuels are stored in the area. If that is not an issue for you, and a risk you are willing to take, I'd at least suggest that the stove sit 18 inches up off of the floor (on a STURDY base of course) to help prevent any problems for that night the truck's gas tank decides to spring a leak.

pen

I think his fireplace is in the house pen with the back of the fireplace and chimney in the garage. My neighbor has one like that.

The six inch liner will fit just fine. And whatever you use to attach to the top of the stove is going to add some to it so the 20' should be OK. The ultimate always is an insulated liner especially in a cold climate but myself I would give it a shot without it. With a good sealed top plate and a sealed block off plate at the bottom the heated air column around the liner will provide a good bit of insulation and most of the chimney is the inside of the living space on one side and the garage on the other, not out in the elements.

I ain't in Canada but I have two liners without insulation in exterior masonry chimneys, one 21 foot and one around 30, and they draw like vacuum cleaners and don't collect much accumulation.

As pen said, if you should want to insulate later a Thermix mixture could be poured in.

I think his fireplace is in the house pen with the back of the fireplace and chimney in the garage. My neighbor has one like that.

Doh <>

Yeah, its inside the house. My bad for calling it a stove, its actually an insert.

I already have a big package of Roxul sitting in the gardem shed, so i can defiantely do a nice top block and bottom plate. I will still try to do some more reading or see if i can get a better deal somewhere on a whole package with an insulated liner.

I'm ideally hopeing to keep it under 800 shipped but so far not sure if i can get that done :(

But i am sure looking forward to useing it during winter. The old fireplace/30 year old insert just wasn't great. This one should be a great improvement i hope. Its a used osburn 2200.

Get'er done. Winter's coming. Look at ebay Canada. Competition is good on ebay for good quality liners. In fact one of my liners was made by TCE in Canada and I bought it off of ebay U.S.

Ok, so slowly things are moving forward once again. Looks like due to budget issues I will have to go with the uninsulated for now. I figure I can use thermix or something if I need to later. The issue is the shipping kills me. With the insulation kit, I would be paying 400 for shipping, without its still 300 but overall with the cost of the liner I save almost 400.

Seeing as i have easy access to the roof, and I think I will have a fair bit of room in the old clay liner yet, will I see a benefit of filling it down with as much roxul as i can fit in there? Or just do a good top plate and block off plate? Roxul i have easy access to and fortunately that does not require shipping costs.

Thanks

Call TCE and find out if there is some place close in CA to buy their liner kits.

http://www.tce.ca/

Status
Not open for further replies.