Liner Sealing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RichardA

Oct 6, 2016
Wake Forest NC
Hello,
I have been using my Quadra Fire Explorer for two years now and lover it and but noticed something off when I swept my chimney.

The orange color flue collar sealant is brittle and the collar is loose. Also, there was no sealant on the liner into the color.

I have tried to attach a pic but it will not let me

I am ready to start burning and would appreciate some guidance here in how I should put this back together.

I need to know

1. Do I need sealant and where?
  2. What do I use?
  3. How soon after I apply sealant can I burn

Thanks for your help/
Rich

Hello,
I have been using my Quadra Fire Explorer for two years now and lover it and but noticed something off when I swept my chimney.

The orange color flue collar sealant is brittle and the collar is loose. Also, there was no sealant on the liner into the color.

I am ready to start burning and would appreciate some guidance here in how I should put this back together.

I need to know

2. What do I use?

Thanks for your help/
Rich

Attachments

• Stove Collar.PNG
    Stove Collar.PNG
    703.5 KB · Views: 122
Hello,

I need to know

2. What do I use?

Thanks for your help/
Rich
There should be no sealant and you should have a tee there instead of just bending the liner. The way you have it any debris that falls down the liner will lay in that bend and restrict flow.

And the adapter that was used isnt even the proper one for a lightwall liner like you have. It should attach with a band clamp not screws.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I knew about the T but only found out after the installer was done with the job. Installer has since went out of business. Without any sealant won’t smoke escape?

As for the clamp part. The part I would clamp is factor and is steel so a clamp will not work on that part. So should the adaptor go on the outside of that?

I knew about the T but only found out after the installer was done with the job. Installer has since went out of business. Without any sealant won’t smoke escape?

As for the clamp part. The part I would clamp is factor and is steel so a clamp will not work on that part. So should the adaptor go on the outside of that?
No smoke will not escape the chimney is under a vacume. And the stainless part that is still in the stove should clamp to the liner not be attached with screws. But that doesnt matter because you should switch it out for a tee. And that tee should clamp to the liner.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
No smoke will not escape the chimney is under a vacume. And the stainless part that is still in the stove should clamp to the liner not be attached with screws. But that doesnt matter because you should switch it out for a tee. And that tee should clamp to the liner.

Is there a store I can go to that stocks the parts I need to do this job?

Is there a store I can go to that stocks the parts I need to do this job?
I dont know what you have in your area we dont here. You can just put it back together and use it as is till you get the parts though. It is not really unsafe. There are just ways it could be better.