Liner to Insert Connection Options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

illini81

Feeling the Heat
Apr 7, 2017
Southeastern CT
Is there such a thing as a telescoping pipe connection for an insert? I pulled my insert for the first time for a hearth renovation project a few weeks ago. Disconnecting the pipe was a serious pain. Re-connecting it later was even harder. Even though the lowest section of my chimney pipe is flex pipe, it is really not that flexible. I have heard guys talk about a telescoping pipe connection for a free-stander, and I was wondering whether there is anything similar for an insert that facilitates an easier connection?

Is there such a thing as a telescoping pipe connection for an insert? I pulled my insert for the first time for a hearth renovation project a few weeks ago. Disconnecting the pipe was a serious pain. Re-connecting it later was even harder. Even though the lowest section of my chimney pipe is flex pipe, it is really not that flexible. I have heard guys talk about a telescoping pipe connection for a free-stander, and I was wondering whether there is anything similar for an insert that facilitates an easier connection?
Nope they can be a pain for sure. But luckily they almost never need unhooked.

That's a bummer :(
Luckily you will probably not have to remove it again untill it's time to replace it. I suppose you could use a stainless telescoping section of rigid pipe but you almost never have room for that on an insert

Reactions: illini81
At least BK made it easier with the new inserts, the back section comes off that attaches to the appliance connecter, the fact it is angled helps as well.
Some regency inserts have a slide in hookup which makes them easy

I cut the stock telescope to a minimum so it would just fit. Then moved the insert into position and extended the inner telescope into the liner adapter and rivited it in place.