Log Lift Help Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my search- I saw one with a moving wedge that had a 4-way head on it on both sides. The shaft was below the beam- you could split a round 4 ways on the fore and back stroke. Damn- I would get some serious cardio keeping that fed.

LLigetfa said:
gandrimp said:
I saw one on youtube a few days ago that used a cherry picker (engine hoist) and tongs.I would post a link but I cant find it now.
This is what Im going to do.
Some good ideas on MTF including this one. Cool idea, what with the four-way it holds onto the remainder for resplitting.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showpost.php?p=655403&postcount=2

Thats actually a "T" wedge making it a 3 way, but a very cool design and concept. I like it.

Yes, power beyond is the only way, that's why I was curious how Bert did it. I used a power beyond for my splitter, those valves aren't cheap by any means.

Scary video. The bi-directional nature encourages one to put their body very close to the splitting action. You can see the guy reaching over the moving wedge with his belly right up against the round being split.

Jags said:
Thats actually a "T" wedge making it a 3 way, but a very cool design and concept. I like it.
Right you are. I stand corrected.

LL- I agree.

I've said it before, but the slowish cycle time for my splitter acts as a safety feature for me- plenty of time to think. Also- since I work alone 95% of the time- I can be getting the next round on the return. I'd take a bit more speed, but not much.

IHnum1 said:
Yes, power beyond is the only way, that's why I was curious how Bert did it. I used a power beyond for my splitter, those valves aren't cheap by any means.
I think you could get away with the standard open centre valves if you make the lift the second downstream valve. I don't think the lift would build up as much pressure as the wedge so the low pressure side of the valve for the wedge should be OK.

Now, I have to go with the usual disclaimer that I'm not an engineer, nor do I play one on TV, and I haven't slept at a Holiday Inn for some time. If you were to implement such a thing, you must test it to at least twice the weight it will ever experience and test it from a safe distance with adequate guarding and PPE.

Actually, the simple way if you don't have a power beyond valve is to put a splitter valve in the system. Push the knob down and fluid flows to the valve for the ram, pull knob up and fluid is diverted to the valve running the lifter.

Attachments

• 2071_med.gif
    2071_med.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 271
Status
Not open for further replies.