Log Score and Need ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bhildreth

I received a dump truck load of logs a few weeks ago and I am getting ready to start cutting and splitting. The driver stated that it was all oak, but there are some logs that I can't quite identify. Cherry maybe? I will try and get more picks of the pile here soon.
file-3.jpeg

file1-1.jpeg

IMG_1554.jpg
IMG_1553.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Is the second pic elm? Three and four sure look like cherry to me.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I am not sure about the first and second pic. I agree that the last two do look like cherry. I am headed out to cut and split now, so I will take some more pics of the pile and hopefully ID what all is in there.

Split some up and give it a sniff . . . if it's cherry you'll probably know by the slightly sweet smell and if it's red oak (which to my eye the first pic looks a lot like) you'll know as it has a smell, but it isn't quite as pleasant/sweet smelling to my nose.

Like another . . . one of those pics looks a lot like elm . . . and possibly a black cherry in the lot. Rest looks a lot like oak.

That said . . . take what I say with a grain of salt as I am much, much, much better at identifying trees by their leafs.

Reactions: bhildreth
Splits look like cherry. Logs look like cherry and others.

Looks like oak to me. Either way, all excellent firewood. Congrats.

Reactions: bhildreth
That one is Cherry for sure

Reactions: Lakeside
Pic three and four look like cherry.
When split it should have a distinct smell.
I think cherry smells sour and bitter.
Red oak not quite so bad
and white oak smells like vanilla

black cherry and some birch you can scratch green young bark and experience the same smell as you would splitting the wood.

Cherry