Looking for a bigger Stihl

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. The 460 or 461 would be my saw of choice. They are sexy..
image.jpg

No 150s around here yet.

I would not buy a 660 unless there was a deal. And to cut 25" rounds i dont think i would get that size saw. You can cut them fine with a 70cc saw give or take. You can also do it all with a 20" bar...everything you mentioned in your post and the sizes too. You can cut from both sides. I have cut 40" rounds in half with my 20" stihl bar and my 390. this was before i modded the muffler and had a leaky decomp valve so it was a bit slow but doable. Once i put a new valve in that help, but i would just cut around it and from both sides then roll it to finish off the bottom cut. It was taking almost a tank of fuel to cut 2 or just a bit more than 2 complete cuts.

Sexy saws!!! You have been spending too much time on AS.

Anyone that has spent too much time on AS has likely been banned...

The big dawgs there are on the R model 440s, 441s, and 460s. The 3/4 wrap is nice, but it is missing the large side cover like my 044 has:

044 cutting.jpg

Speaking of AS and sexy saws... this is Gary and his old hot saw, The Termite.

Gary.JPG
No no no, look at the SAW in the photo...

Yes, that is a 2 man, V8 Buick engine chainsaw there that Gary had at a logging show. Not the most practical saw, but it cuts really frick'in fast. I do not know who the babe is.

Anyone that has spent too much time on AS has likely been banned...

The big dawgs there are on the R model 440s, 441s, and 460s. The 3/4 wrap is nice, but it is missing the large side cover like my 044 has:

View attachment 108456
your bar is upside down!

;)

Reactions: Wildo
1) My 2 year old 440 runs the sh_t out of a 32" bar

not to split hairs, but a 440 in hardwoods will not run a 32" bar effectively, not to mention we don't get the High Output oilers the west coast saws have. That's apples to cucumbers comparison to oak and maple that we cut. around here in hardwood country most loggers run a 20" on a 460 and a 24/25" on a 660, but most wont run a 660 all day long because of the weight. a 440 in hardwoods in a 20-25" max saw. Will it run a 28"-32? sure. will it be productive speed wise? probably not. skip chain is also not common to these parts, which is just a band aid for a saw to run a larger bar than it is meant for.

before you get your panties ina bunch I put a 28" on my dolmar 5100 years ago for giggles and cut a 24" oak log. Did it do it? sure it did. It also took about 3 minutes to make one cut through it....

Amusing, but you are wrong about skip chain. Shrimpy bar disease Midwesterners... spare us your ignorance and take your panties back to AS...

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Dolmar 5100 is a nice unit. Had one that was ported by Mastermind. I sent it to R.I. somewhere. I am not a fan of anything less than 60cc saws. :)

Here is the lil Dolmar next to a real saw ;)

20130613_172446_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Reactions: HittinSteel
Yep. The 460 or 461 would be my saw of choice. They are sexy..
View attachment 108420

When did you cross over to the darkside? how those xp's treating you? 22" maple and both of these saws were ported with 20" bars and off the reel round ground stihl RS chain. the 372 has a ton of work done to it. I ran it in stock appearing race saw classes on nitro, so that's not really something that should be used in the woods all day long every day. That 360 will last forever. you can hear the snappiness and way more compression of the 372

a ported 036/360/361 or 362 will run right with a stock 371/372 044/046 with a 20" in hardwoods, but going to larger wood the 70cc saw will still have the advantage.

Reactions: DexterDay
Amusing, but you are wrong about skip chain. Shrimpy bar disease Midwesterners... spare us your ignorance and take your panties back to AS...

Haven't been on AS in years.. If I am so wrong about skip chain, show me one harvester that uses skip chain. Maybe you should take your big bar envy back to AS. I'll also add that skip chain is for lazy people that don't want to sharpen their chain.

They do have their place, just not on the east coast, Midwest or hardwood country.

Reactions: smokinj
Dolmar 5100 is a nice unit. Had one that was ported by Mastermind. I sent it to R.I. somewhere. I am not a fan of anything less than 60cc saws. :)

Here is the lil Dolmar next to a real saw ;)

View attachment 108463

Yeah I sold mine after running a 550xp... it runs just as hard as any 60ccsaw I've ever ran.. I'll get a 562xp someday and put a 13" bar on it because we don't need anything bigger in shimply bar land

All this talk about shrimpy bars makes me want to sink my 16" bar into the red oak I have needing to be sawed to length. My 290 and a 16" is ok. A little slow, but it does work. I would like to have a bigger one for the fun of it.

What is AS by the way?

arborist site... where all the internet saw geeks and know it alls go

Reactions: DexterDay
I think the only thing I vver see in 3/8 chain is skip tooth. The stihl dealer does not even have any chain other than skip I. Bats over 20. He has full cutter safety chin in 20".

Go to AS chainsaw forum. Start an oil discussion. Make friends fast! /jk

Will Stihl oil kill my husky? Can I use used motor oil as two stroke mix when I'm out? I don't like using canola oil for bar oil, you can't see it on the bar so I use the red atf. works great

;lol;lol;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.