Looking for a Double SidedWood Burning fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

First_Time_House

Nov 24, 2022
Sullivan Co. NY
In the process of building a house. I want a stove for efficiency, but wife won't hear of it. The design of the house would allow for a double sided fireplace, but all the reading I've done on that says it's a bad idea from efficiency and smell purposes. So, looking at an insert, and ideally a double sided insert.

Can anyone recommend something that fulfills:
1) More efficient than an open fireplace
2) Double sided fire-viewing

Hi! I dont think anybody makes a double sided insert. Gas might have one, but to the best of my knowledge, wood does not.

By insert, do you mean something that would go into an existing fireplace? That doesn't exist. Even if it did, it would be quite an extravagant expense to build a fireplace just to house an insert.

If you want to use this for heating instead of a freestanding stove, there are great single-sided zero-clearance fireplaces on the market. There are double-sided zc fireplaces on the market too, but they are for more show, not for 24/7 wood heating.

Last edited:
By insert, do you mean something that would go into an existing fireplace? That doesn't exist. Even if it did, it would be quite an extravagant expense to build a fireplace just to house an insert.

If you want to use this for heating instead of a freestanding stove, there are great single-sided zero-clearance fireplaces on the market. There are double-sided zc fireplaces on the market too, but they are for more show, not for 24/7 wood heating.
Thank you. I've just begun researching for this. I think what I need is a zero clearance fireplace.
Background : New construction home, will have propane radiant heating as the primary source, but I want a wood fire as a supplemental heating option - it will not be for daily use even in the winter. I don't want it just for show, efficiency is important. I know I won't light a fire just for the look of it.

There are two adjoining rooms - a small TV room and a larger open room which will have the kitchen / dining area. In a perfect world I'd like a double-sided wood burning fuel efficient zero clearance option.
From what I'm finding online, that doesn't seem to be an option, so I'm looking instead at what you suggest - a single sided zero-clearance fireplace. The large room is much larger than the small TV room, and I think I see in the specs of many of these is that there are 3 vents. Please bear with me - I've lived in apartments my whole life and never even had a fireplace, so this is all new to me.
One vent - the outlet (chimney to a newbie)
Second Vent - allow outside air come in (so the fire isn't sucking warm air OUT of the room
Third vent - allows heat to go to a different part of the house.

What I'm thinking is to have the front of the fireplace in the smaller TV room - I think we'll probably spend most of the time in there, but put the third vent out to the larger kitchen dining room area, as I'm assuming some heat comes from the front of the fireplace and that should be enough for the small room.

Does that make sense?
Thanks in advance!

Yes, that makes perfect sense and sounds like a plan. If the house is going to be very well insulated then it may not need a big fireplace. There are usually one or two takeoffs on the top of the fireplace cabinet that allow for routing heat to an adjacent space and even to a second floor if there is one.

Thanks -
Hi! I dont think anybody makes a double sided insert. Gas might have one, but to the best of my knowledge, wood does not.
Thank you. After spending pretty much a full day, I found only this : https://www.archiexpo.com/prod/jydepejsen-s/product-74165-1511697.html and found somewhere else (now I can;t find it again that it is 12K British pounds! So that's off the list.
IN any case, what I've since learned is that given it's a new construction, what I really need is a zero clearance efficient fireplace. Seems like that rules out double sided, so see my comment below - looking for a one sided zero clearance efficient fireplace.

How large of an area will the fireplace be heating? One or two stories? How much insulation will be going in?

Yes, that makes perfect sense and sounds like a plan. If the house is going to be very well insulated then it may not need a big fireplace. There are usually one or two takeoffs on the top of the fireplace cabinet that allow for routing heat to an adjacent space and even to a second floor if there is one.
Thank you - can you help with a ballpark guesstimate of how much heat comes from the front of the fireplace vs the 'take offs'?
E.g. :
20% Front of fireplace
70% Take offs (and can I assume that if 2 take offs, they're both about equal)
10% lost up the chimney

The house will be well insulated (spray), but (and it's a big but) it's on a hill and in the winter there is a pretty consistent strong cold wind and that wind facing side has a lot of windows - the view is great, but my wife wanted more windows in the kitchen / dining room than I think makes any kind of sense, so I'm worried that that room will be cold, hence thinking of routing 'take offs' to that room. If the front of the fire only gives out 5% of the heat, then if there were two take offs, I'd probably route one into the small room so at least it's a warm spot on a cold night!

How large of an area will the fireplace be heating? One or two stories? How much insulation will be going in?
The small TV room is about 10 ft X 17 ft. 9ft ceiling.
The kitchen / dining room is pretty much the rest of the ground floor - about 35ft X 20 ft. There is a bedroom above the TV room, but I'm not looking to heat it via the stove - radiant should be ok for that. The kitchen / dining room is cathedral ceiling - (slopes up from 25ft to 35ft) .
Insulation - it will be good spray foam insulation. We rented a house nearby that was poorly insulated and we will not be making that mistake - we could feel the wind come in through the electrical sockets!

It will be more like 20%+ up the chimney depending on the fireplace. The output from the 3 vents would depend on the design. Some vents are powered with their own blowers and some are passive. And it would depend on the number of 90º turns in the ducting. So if with a passive system the 2 top vents were connected, one to the kitchen area, and one to upstairs, then the one straight up to upstairs would convect stronger than the one with a 90º turn to the kitchen wall. These could be dampered to balance them out, assuming there would be access to the dampers before the dry wall went up or through an access door.

The kitchen / dining room is cathedral ceiling - (slopes up from 25ft to 35ft)
Oy, that ceiling peak is where a lot of the heat will want to go. Ceiling fans will be required to circulate the stratified heat. You probably will want both top vents to dump heat into the kitchen area.

Do you know what size the propane furnace input (or output) BTUs will be?

Oy, that ceiling peak is where a lot of the heat will want to go. Ceiling fans will be required to circulate the stratified heat. You probably will want both top vents to dump heat into the kitchen area.

Do you know what size the propane furnace input (or output) BTUs will be?
I don't have that info yet. Yes, we will have ceiling fans to circulate the hot air back down.
So, 20% up the chimney, and the two take offs - put into the kitchen with minimal 90 turning to give the hot air easiest route out and I'll still get reasonable (20%?) heating into the TV room from the front of the fireplace?

I don't have that info yet. Yes, we will have ceiling fans to circulate the hot air back down.
So, 20% up the chimney, and the two take offs - put into the kitchen with minimal 90 turning to give the hot air easiest route out and I'll still get reasonable (20%?) heating into the TV room from the front of the fireplace?
Definitely for convective heat and there will be radiant heat too in that room.

Great - thank you.
It seems to be a very complicated process. I found another thread on this forum from 2 years ago where a guy was looking for a zero clearance
Thank you.
Now to find the right one! This is way more complicated than I thought and the pricing is confusing too - what 'extras' I need etc. Really appreciate your help. Thank you very much - hope you enjoyed Thanksgiving.

In the process of building a house. I want a stove for efficiency, but wife won't hear of it. The design of the house would allow for a double sided fireplace, but all the reading I've done on that says it's a bad idea from efficiency and smell purposes. So, looking at an insert, and ideally a double sided insert.

Can anyone recommend something that fulfills:
1) More efficient than an open fireplace
2) Double sided fire-viewing
Check out Stuv-21 (https://stuvamerica.com/en/).

I saw Stuv-21 in the double sided format at Piaule in Catskills. It was located in the central hall with large open space, high ceiling and lots of windows. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see it in operation, as I was visiting in the summer, but you can reach out to them to hear their user experience.

I saw Stuv-21 in the double sided format at Piaule in Catskills. It was located in the central hall with large open space, high ceiling and lots of windows. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see it in operation, as I was visiting in the summer, but you can reach out to them to hear their user experience.

Thanks - I'll reach out if I manage to get any information on pricing etc - their website and lack of pricing info makes me think they must be the most $$$$$$$$$$

Zero clearance fireplaces: There is a double sided zero clearance fireplace, from Stuv1, see link at bottom.

Thank you to the people who helped me learn a bit more for what I should be looking for.

Supreme Astra 24 $5360 (with the accessories)

75% efficiency, 67%HHV - think need to buy all the accessories - nicer screen requires the gravity kit , want the hot air out so need the hot air distribution and the fresh air kit seems to make sense or would just be cooling the room.

Fuego Flame - have zero clearance, but no pricing and minimal information.

://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://secureservercdn.net/166.62.107.20/686.9be.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/fuego-zero-clearance-brochure.pdf

Valcourt Mundo II 64% HHV 70% overall
$4,199 (gravity assist - not forced air) $4650 with the forced air option

KozyHeat - 2 models, both efficient, Z42 and Albany.
Pricing not provided online, need to contact a local dealer.

Stuv1 - seem to have single and double sided Zero clearance BUT super annoying website - can't get any information from it, assume is $$$$$$$$$ of all.

It would help to know the propane heating system specs. Where will the stairwell to upstairs be located relative to the fireplace?

Looks at fireplaces in the 3 cu ft range from RSF, Astria, Northstar, and Pacific Energy too.

Thank you again - yes, these seem to have options that work. I've contacted a bunch of places for quotes / availability etc. Thank you!
It would help to know the propane heating system specs. Where will the stairwell to upstairs be located relative to the fireplace?

Looks at fireplaces in the 3 cu ft range from RSF, Astria, Northstar, and Pacific Energy

The Pacific Energy FP 25 LE (https://www.pacificenergy.net/product/fp25/ ) allows manual control of which (or both) heat ducts feed air out. It says it in a diagram (Heat distribution system) near the middle of the page I linked to. That has me thinking that I could have one air duct into the small room and one into the large room. When the small room is too hot, I could close it off and I assume that this would mean that more hot air would go out into the large room.
This seems like a winner from a functional perspective. :)

Reactions: PAbeech
Zero clearance fireplaces: There is a double sided zero clearance fireplace, from Stuv1, see link at bottom.

Thank you to the people who helped me learn a bit more for what I should be looking for.

Supreme Astra 24 $5360 (with the accessories)

75% efficiency, 67%HHV - think need to buy all the accessories - nicer screen requires the gravity kit , want the hot air out so need the hot air distribution and the fresh air kit seems to make sense or would just be cooling the room.

Fuego Flame - have zero clearance, but no pricing and minimal information.

://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://secureservercdn.net/166.62.107.20/686.9be.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/fuego-zero-clearance-brochure.pdf

Valcourt Mundo II 64% HHV 70% overall
$4,199 (gravity assist - not forced air) $4650 with the forced air option

KozyHeat - 2 models, both efficient, Z42 and Albany.
Pricing not provided online, need to contact a local dealer.

Stuv1 - seem to have single and double sided Zero clearance BUT super annoying website - can't get any information from it, assume is $$$$$$$$$ of all.
For the price breakdown, call Stuv America in Canada directly and speak with Katherine (514-396-9463 x215. I was looking at Stuv (9 or 16) last year and price quotes in the US varied greatly. Speaking w StuvAmerica helped clarify what is a reasonable price and be able to have informed discussion with the US dealers.

Reactions: First_Time_House
For the price breakdown, call Stuv America in Canada directly and speak with Katherine (514-396-9463 x215. I was looking at Stuv (9 or 16) last year and price quotes in the US varied greatly. Speaking w StuvAmerica helped clarify what is a reasonable price and be able to have informed discussion with the US dealers.
Thanks - they mailed me their price brochure . Fair to say that I won't be buying, the 21 model starts at over $8,000 before you buy the panels... which will add another $1,550
They are the most attractive looking, but way more $$$$. If you're very wealthy and money no issue... maybe.

The Pacific Energy FP 25 LE (https://www.pacificenergy.net/product/fp25/ ) allows manual control of which (or both) heat ducts feed air out. It says it in a diagram (Heat distribution system) near the middle of the page I linked to. That has me thinking that I could have one air duct into the small room and one into the large room. When the small room is too hot, I could close it off and I assume that this would mean that more hot air would go out into the large room.
This seems like a winner from a functional perspective. :)
For this size house, I'd go up to the FP30 for greater capacity and it's easier to N/S load. Read up on some installs here:

Reactions: PAbeech