Looking for a high btu output stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kyguylal

Oct 6, 2018
New Hampshire
Hi everyone. We bought a house in NH which has an Englander 25-pdvc installed on the main level

The house is a trilevel split at a total of 2,500sf plus a 1,000 sf basement. The main level with the stove is an open concept with 14ft ceilings. One entire wall of that section of the house is made up of 13' windows.

The bedrooms are up a half flight of stairs and there is a family room down a half flight.

The house is well insulated and tight. The Englander is really struggling to keep up. We're burning good pellets at a high rate and the main level of the house is keeping at 63 degrees. The lower level and upper level is firing on oil all day long to maintain at 60 degrees when it's below 30 outside. Sounding like the stove is far too small to handle the area.

We're looking to replace the stove with a large one for next season.

If I went and dropped $4k on a Harman p61, think I could heat significantly more of my house? Being a very open concept house, I figure a large stove could really heat the place up.

Any other recommendations on large btu stoves? Really looking to cut my oil costs and keep the house warmer.

Hello
A Harman P68 would be better than a P61a but you may want to consider a stove on each level?

Reactions: bags and rickwai
P61A wouldn't disappoint, and a P68 would be even better...depends if you want to spend the extra $$$...the only difference between the 2 is the size of the burn pot I believe.

Since it's already there, I'd move the Englander to another level (perhaps the basement if you have an insulated foundation..that is on the outside and/or inside wall and enough air flow for the heat to rise upstairs into at least the main living area) and opt for the P68 or maybe the Harman Absolute 63 where the Englander is now.

I own a P61A and heat an 1800 sq. ft single level with a lot of windows and it's plenty of heat. However, given the size of your house and all that glass, I'd go with a larger stove. It's easier to turn down the heat than try and heat with too small a stove.

A good rule of thumb is to always go with a slightly larger stove than needed. In my case, I probably could have easily gotten by with the P43 but wanted the extra capacity of the P61A as I live way in upstate, NY and we experience very cold winters with tons of lake effect snow and cold winds from northern Canada.

Thank you everyone.

I'm thinking about throwing the Englander in the lower level as I know it will heat that area well. Perhaps a P61 or P68 on the main floor. Its a cold -17 wind chill this morning and the little stove is working hard on full blast to maintain a cool 61 with oil burning on two of my three levels.

I live in the frozen tundra of northern Canada where the polar bears roam freely and eat everything that isn't inside the igloo...
Ok maybe not that far north.... But I gotta tell you in all honesty the answer isn't a bigger stove.. its better insulation and air sealing.. keep the heat you are putting in the place.. you'll have to live with the cold till spring..
Do some research.. I'd recommend greenbuildingtalk.com and add some insulation for next winter... sounds like you are new to the house .. its gonna be cheaper in the long run to insulate than keep heating the poorly insulated house..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reactions: johneh
Fyi I have 22 ft ceilings and a 30 ft long wall of south facing tripane windows.. its -36c right now and warm on the house.. cause I live here I have 4 inches of foam on the outside of 2x6 walls and the best windows 9 could afford.. r80 in the ceiling..r38 in the walls.. underslab foam as well.. HUGE savings in fuel and very comfortable.. you don't need all that ....but the first inch of insulation is the most important inch..anything else is gravy

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

heating a 1800 sq POORLY INSULATED 1920's 2 story house..
harman P61A..... if i don't keep an eye on it, our downstairs gets to the mid 80's on stove[or constant mode.
never have had the distribution fan past the half way mark...plenty of heat in reserve if needed...
sailing thru this freezing east coast wave very comfy.. the P61 and P68 are remarkable heating BEASTS.!!!!!
also, biggest ash pan around and EZPZ to clean and maintaine. can go month or more without emptying ash pan.

I have a 2200Sqft house I have a Harman P68, its in my main living area and i use it as a main heat source. heats up the whole house that is not an open floor plan without issues, -3 last night with a wind chill of -27 and our house was 78-80 degrees all day and night. it took me a little bit to figure out the best way to more the heat around since we do not have forced air to move the heat around, fan placement and modes are key. With my stove set at only a little over half way id hate to see how hot it gets in there full blast

I have a 2200Sqft house I have a Harman P68, its in my main living area and i use it as a main heat source. heats up the whole house that is not an open floor plan without issues, -3 last night with a wind chill of -27 and our house was 78-80 degrees all day and night. it took me a little bit to figure out the best way to more the heat around since we do not have forced air to move the heat around, fan placement and modes are key. With my stove set at only a little over half way id hate to see how hot it gets in there full blast
yep.. those HARMAN P SERIES ARE BEASTS!!!!!!

Reactions: Bert Dawes
I'd recommend a P-68 as well. It is what I have and its been great. I'm sure I could have went with a P-61 but I wanted to have the extra capacity if needed.
near Levittown,pa..

our P61A has never been anywhere near full bore throttle and it heats our 2 story 1200 sq more than enough..
can imagine the P68 here would melt the walls!!!

I just like being at the top where the air is crisp [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just about any other stove available will out perform the Englander 25-pdvc. I helped a friend install a 25-pdvc four years ago and although it heated his home (1400sq) adequately, it had to be run hard and ate 1-1/2 bags of pellets per day to do so. Last month he had enough of reaching through the back to remove the convection fan (had to clean it several times a season) and decided to find an easier stove to work on. Well, he ended up buying a Pelpro 130 due to the ease of maintenance access panels. We installed that pp130 two weeks ago, and its a huge improvement. It makes the old Englander seem like a hair dryer. I know it's a higher BTU stove, but on level 2 of 10, it keeps his home 3-4 degrees warmer than the Englander did, and does it on one bag or less per day. If he sets it to high, forget it, it'll melt the cats.

I would have to recommend the P-68. You can always adjust temps down but never get more out of a smaller stove than what they are capable of. I have a PC-45 also besides my 68. The 45 is the same size and chassis as the 61 basically. The 68 is a bigger stove. I heat right around 2,400 SQ FT on two levels with the 68 no problem.

46D21B61-66D5-492E-A580-C73028AD35C8.jpeg 6A0ABA72-64ED-4AA7-B5F5-8247CF0A7B4F.jpeg 7C82CB0E-4D0C-4FD6-AF1A-D4553ADD45C6.jpeg EDDE272D-79DC-4BF5-8D26-6052694596C1.jpeg Just to fix some of the incorrect info, mine above included, here are the dimensions of the Harman stoves suggested. The PC45 is the same size as the P61, P68 is a couple inches taller than the P61 and the P43 is a tad bit smaller than both the P68 and P61. Hope this helps.

0AwmF1-o9cFeyI9C9qun4tH5Q

Last edited:
Reactions: bags
Reactions: Washed-Up
Check out the Harman Absolute 63 while at your Harman dealer....A bit more high tech but from what I've read on this site, a very nice stove with sleak lines and a cool look to it. And like most any Harman, easy to clean and very dependable....

I think this model will be my retirement gift to myself along with central air conditioning....:cool:

Reactions: Tonyray
Put in Harmon XXV in May and been great so far this winter. Minor problem with buzzing, but easy to fix (Screws impacting distro fan housing).

Brought up 1/2 ton of Pellets today to back porch. Should carry us thru Feb into March. Then back to Heat Pump