Looking for a quality Ash Can/Bucket ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sep 27, 2012
New York
Hi Everyone - I'm looking for an ash can or bucket, preferrably with a lid that can handle hot ash and coals. I purchased one from Amazon which was a piece of junk - the handle broke within a couple of months and almost started a fire. My other one that I use with the insert is about ready to fall apart - the bottom is completely buckled and it probably will give way on the next load. Anyone have suggestions on a quality container for removing hot ash/coals from the stove ? Appreciate it.

10 gallon metal garbage can works well for us. It was $12 at the local hardware stove, though probably twice that now. Put it on bricks if setting it on a wood deck or porch.

I've had two of the Behren's 20 gal galvanized steel cans for, oh, maybe 10 years. They should be good for another 20 or so.

They make many sizes.

Hi Everyone - I'm looking for an ash can or bucket, preferrably with a lid that can handle hot ash and coals. I purchased one from Amazon which was a piece of junk - the handle broke within a couple of months and almost started a fire. My other one that I use with the insert is about ready to fall apart - the bottom is completely buckled and it probably will give way on the next load. Anyone have suggestions on a quality container for removing hot ash/coals from the stove ? Appreciate it.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selections-Black-powder-coated-Steel-Ash-Bucket/999908845

I have 4 of these. They last forever.

That one from Lowes looks almost identical to the one I got from Amazon where the handle separated from the bucket - I'll take picture so you can see what I'm talking about. Whenever I dump it now I have to use my welding gloves. I was hoping to find somehting that's cast iron and looks like it belongs in the 1800's

That one from Lowes looks almost identical to the one I got from Amazon where the handle separated from the bucket - I'll take picture so you can see what I'm talking about. Whenever I dump it now I have to use my welding gloves. I was hoping to find somehting that's cast iron and looks like it belongs in the 1800's
Have you checked antique stores?

I use the stove grate and built in ash pan to clean out the stove. I put the ash in a galvanized 10 or 20 gal can outside on a stone slab. The can is 20 years old and has been outside all that time.

I've had this for 10 years with the PE, 8 with the 13. They've never let me down, but, I do NOT fill them with red hot coals.

https://www.plowhearth.com/en/Fireplace-&-Hearth/Fireplace-Screens/Fireplace-Tools-&-Accessories/Deluxe-Galvanized-Ash-Bucket-with-Handle,-Lid-and-Double-Layer-Bottom/p/11693

11693Char-x.jpg

How important is a lid on these?
I picked up a basic bucket with scoop at tsc on sale awhile back. It's like a regular metal bucket w/handle, except one side is sort of squared out farther, to act as a spout, with the opppsite side having a dumping handle.
But, i've not put hot coals in it, only cold ash.

My thoughts on that bucket are not so great. I currently have one. They’re not powder coated, they’re painted. Within the first month half the paint bubbled up and peeled off in giant flakes.
And the paint melting usually stinks to high heaven.

And the paint melting usually stinks to high heaven.
Yeah don’t get me started on the nasty burning paint smell. The ash shovels are the same way, if not worse. Why paint them at all if you’re going to be sticking them in a stove?

How important is a lid on these?
I picked up a basic bucket with scoop at tsc on sale awhile back. It's like a regular metal bucket w/handle, except one side is sort of squared out farther, to act as a spout, with the opppsite side having a dumping handle.
But, i've not put hot coals in it, only cold ash.

I have found that the moment I open the door to bring ash out in an unlidded bucket, a hurricane force wind will appear out of nowhere and either coat me, or the inside of my house with ash. Maybe I'm exaggerating on the wind speed by a little.

And then, if you ever want to remove hot coals, the lid is there for safety.

Reactions: Rhodie and Dix
I have had a garden variety 6 gallon galvanized garbage can from the local hardware store for close to 30 years. They still sell them.

When I was a kid, the city picked up garbage separately from trash. It had to be put out in these style cans. A private contractor did the rounds with swill truck and there was a huge pig farm outside of the town (that stunk for miles) where they used the garbage for food. The farm was in a swampy undeveloped area. I go by there 50 years later and the biggest shopping mall in Maine is right where the pig farm was and surrounding the mall are golf courses, motels and office complexes. I think all the garbage goes in the trash in that area unless someone care to do their own composting.

My thoughts on that bucket are not so great. I currently have one. They’re not powder coated, they’re painted. Within the first month half the paint bubbled up and peeled off in giant flakes.

I'm sure they are powder coated with absolute minimal surface prep like pretty much all mass produced coated misc objects nowadays. Powder is notorious for bubbling up and just failing like this when it's put over a minimally prepped surface.

I bought a galvanized can from Lowes a few years ago that's actually served me pretty well, considering I put hot coals into it and leave it outside all the time. I think it's only 2.5 gal but they have bigger ones there. Made in good ol USA too.

I don't use an ash can. I use the pan that came with the stove, along with a couple that I made up as spares. There is a spot out back that I can stage a few full ones, and empty them when it's nice out and while I'm out doing chores. Gardens and a field nearby are handy enough to just walk over and empty them, then back again staged for changing out when needed. I do have a 5gal metal pail with "a loose fitting lid" for emptying more if the stove gets filled, if that's the mood we're in. But the same thing, it goes out and spread when we're outside. I made the mistake of getting a pail with a tight fitting lid the first time. I set it out to cool - the thing sucked in by the vacuum to half the size and looked like a truck ran over it. If there's any chance of a seal, keep a looser lid, or poke a pin hole up under the lid. I know this isn't quite what you were after, but maybe someone could find some use for it. Attached is a flat pattern for a stove pan. Mine fits a year 2009, F500. Hand tools to cut and 2x4s for a press brake. Pop rivet the corners. 24ga galv forms fairly easy, yet holds up when formed and fastened.

Attachments

• generic-pan.jpg
    generic-pan.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 239
I have found that the moment I open the door to bring ash out in an unlidded bucket, a hurricane force wind will appear out of nowhere and either coat me, or the inside of my house with ash. Maybe I'm exaggerating on the wind speed by a little.

And then, if you ever want to remove hot coals, the lid is there for safety.
Ahhh, the wind thing hasn't happened, well, yet. There is a good breeze here much, if not most, of the time. And it usually blows in the back door when I open it. So, I guess i'm burning up all my luck on that one. Haven't removed hot coals, mostly because I don't have anywhere to set the hot bucket yet, and temps haven't required constant enough burning to need to remove them hot and keep burning.
Sounds like a lid is in my future, I know a safe place to set the hot bucket is.

Like others . . . 5 gallon galvanized pail from the local True Value Hardware Store. Still going strong since 2008.