Looking for clean burning options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rick5

May 4, 2021
Virginia Beach, VA
Hi,
I grew up as a kid with open fireplaces and have had one in my house for the last 18 years. I use it maybe once every week or so between December and March. My wife is a lung cancer survivor so she always goes upstairs and stays away from it. Over the last few months, I have read a bit about how bad open fireplaces are in terms of particulate matter and indoor air quality. There is nothing I love more than a glass of wine and a nice fire, but given my wife's situation and getting a little bit older myself, I starting to think about some other options. What are some good options for me? It's a zero-clearance fireplace. I am much more interested in ambience than heat. It is in a small room that tends to get too hot anyway. Are there some good artificial logs that are much cleaner burning than wood? Perhaps while simultaneously running a HEPA air purifier? Would I be better off switching to propane or even a direct vent gas fireplace? I went to a fireplace store a couple of months ago and was shocked at how good some of these newer gas fireplace flames look. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! The one thing I am sure of is that living with no fireplace at all is not an option. :)

I would totally go gas. Happy wife = happy life

It’s unreasonable to drive her out of the room when burning the fire place.

Also there are some very beautiful gas options, take your time and do lots of research. Look at Jotul and Vermont castings

For nice flame, I like what I have seen from Lopi and Jotul.

Yeah, I am kind of leaving toward a gas. I will miss the wood though. Are some of the coffee logs and those sorts of things relatively clean burning, or is there no comparison compared to gas? I know direct vent is an option. I just don't know if I want glass in front.

In the least add a glass front to the ZC if possible, then compressed sawdust logs are an option.

Reactions: Rick5