Looking to heat a 14yr old Southland Log Home in Tennessee.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TennJed

Oct 14, 2021
Tennessee
Hello everybody.
I joined this group to seek advice on a wood burner for a 2300ft log home. I grew up splitting wood for our burner and fireplace so I'm not a total noob on using a wood burner. We used fire to heat our home growing up and I really do miss having the cave man TV and not worrying about freezing when the power goes out. We have an unlimited supply of silver maple and plenty of oak that will need to be split and seasoned of course. Anyways I'm driving myself crazy reading reviews and looking at the 100s of stoves that are on the market these days. I'm looking to spend around 2k-3k. I'm leaning to a cat stove and have been checking out the Blaze Kings. Any advice on brands, models and types of wood burners you like would be greatly appreciated.

In just for pictures of log home.

Is that 2-3k total including the stove and chimney? If it is I think you're looking at a basic tube stove like a Drolet or Englander.

I'd move in first and figure out how the house feels before pulling the trigger on a new stove, also 3k seems a little lite for a higher end stove, just like a car, you get what you put into it

Reactions: EbS-P
Is there a chimney? Are you going to add a chimney?
Costs for steel have been up the last year. A new generation of stoves have come on to the market in the past year.
If you wait until next spring costs should be a bit better for any stove you buy and a steel liner or chimney if you need one.
If you are resolute about getting a stove I suggest cutting and stacking wood to dry for the next 12 months and start checking for any sale events this next spring.
I saved about $300 buying my stove in the late spring when they had a sale.

Reactions: clancey