Looks like the Oslo is getting a cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It burns overnight with no problem. I get up in the morning and throw some kindling on and get it going again. I’ve had it over a week and am really enjoying it so far. We'll see what happens in the long term.
More info like this, and zero speculation is what we need at this point. Anyone have first hand experience besides biased webby?

Technically this is also a heater.
Right. Irrelevant.

• Haha
Reactions: Woody Stover
More info like this, and zero speculation is what we need at this point. Anyone have first hand experience besides biased webby?

Right. Irrelevant.
That’s not fair. My many years of experimenting with new stoves means nothing compared to someone with 1 week on a stove? Why would you post this? I have the same stove up and running.

Reactions: bholler
He's saying that KJamesJR's posting of a Wonderwood heater pic was irrelevant. True, dat..
I wasn’t referring to that. Him saying I was biased Webby is the problem.
It was a pic of an electric unit, not a wonder wood.

I wasn’t referring to that. Him saying I was biased Webby is the problem.
It was a pic of an electric unit, not a wonder wood.
OK, then.
There's a song title on the new Dirty Knobs album that applies here. ;lol

Is the new Oslo a heater, or is it a showpiece that gets warm?
We put a V3 Oslo on burn display this week. It’s a heater! The issue is that it doesn’t have low any longer...It’s got hot and hotter
Sounds like a heater to me; Webby has run a lot of stoves.

Obviously y’all missed the point. Is the new Oslo a heater, or is it a showpiece that gets warm?

Only time will tell.
I have very little doubt that it is a heater. My doubts are about durability.

Reactions: webby3650
I’d like to see them improve the cat thermometer. It’s an imperial, I even joked about it basically saying”worlds cheapest stove pipe company” and I wish it said Jotul instead. After a little bit we realized it was already broken. Didn’t even make it through the first break in fire.

Reactions: Amigo Azul
I’m one of those operators that considers the turn down ratio to be one of the most important performance specifications of a stove. I want to pick a setting that keeps my house steadily warm. Single burn rate heaters have very little versatility. Too bad that jotul went that way.

If you’re going to suffer the drawbacks of a catalyst, you deserve to benefit from a design that utilizes the cat for more than just emissions compliance.

Single burn rate heaters have very little versatility. Too bad that jotul went that way.
Just to be clear, it has an air control in the same place as the old Oslo, it just doesn’t turn down much. The cat on these 2020 hybrid stoves is just a scrubber, it’s not for longer burns.

Reactions: Highbeam
Yes, definitely not a single rate heater. I'm looking forward to more field reports on the stove throughout the heating season and into spring burning.

You do realize he’s a stove seller/installer, and the reason he has an Oslo is because his shop sells and installs them? He may have his favorite stoves, but that’s only because he’s run more different stoves in the last 5 years than any regular burner will in a lifetime.

... and the former comment about having enough coals to relight the kindling in the morning does NOT equate to an overnight burn. I can have enough coals buried in the ash for a relight after 36 - 40 hours in my stoves, but I wouldn’t say they’re still doing much heating, at that point. What was the stove-top temperature in the morning?

So it's uncontrolable, will cook you out of the room, who would want it. That's it? Junk, get rid of it? I don't care one way or the other, but the thread has gone on for a year, and people have beat the heck out of it any way they can, now we have one to get a look at, and that's it, runs hot, cooks you out? Hmm. There's still a chance webby if you want to give a decent review. So far you've knocked it and walked away. And what are some temps, while running, 10hrs later, . How have you started the thing, cat performance, proceedures? Lot's of people want to know.

Reactions: Amigo Azul
So it's uncontrolable, will cook you out of the room, who would want it. That's it? Junk, get rid of it? I don't care one way or the other, but the thread has gone on for a year, and people have beat the heck out of it any way they can, now we have one to get a look at, and that's it, runs hot, cooks you out? Hmm. There's still a chance webby if you want to give a decent review. So far you've knocked it and walked away. And what are some temps, while running, 10hrs later, . How have you started the thing, cat performance, proceedures? Lot's of people want to know.
You sure go about it the wrong way! How did I walk away? I said we just had a few fires and gave my first impressions of it. You’ve got some attitude...