Lopi fireplace insert -wood or gas???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mlhenry1174

Oct 12, 2021
Weatherford, TX
We just moved into an older home with what I think is a Lopi fireplace insert. I don't know anything about them. I "think" it's gas since it had a dial and plug but really have no idea. I went to the Lopi website to see if I could find a user manual but no luck there. Can anyone help me out with proper use, etc.? No one has lived here for years so not sure if it even works or is safe to use. Excuse the clutter in the pics. We're still unpacking!

20211012_201923.jpg20211012_201939.jpg20211012_201954 (1).jpg

Reactions: bikedennis
We just moved into an older home with what I think is a Lopi fireplace insert. I don't know anything about them. I "think" it's gas since it had a dial and plug but really have no idea. I went to the Lopi website to see if I could find a user manual but no luck there. Can anyone help me out with proper use, etc.? No one has lived here for years so not sure if it even works or is safe to use. Excuse the clutter in the pics. We're still unpacking!View attachment 283222View attachment 283224View attachment 283231
Get a chimney professional out to clean and inspect it. And it is a wood insert

Reactions: mlhenry1174
The plug is probably for the blower. The dial is a speed control for the blower.
I don't know much about inserts, but it looks like you have a wood floor directly in front of the door. I think you need some kind of non-combustible hearth in front of it. Think about embers falling out when you open the door landing on the wood floor or rug.

Getting someone in there who can tell you if it is safe, like bholler suggested, is the right thing to do. They can tell you what you need to do or change.

Reactions: mlhenry1174
The hearth for this fireplace is a red flag. It looks to be inadequate for the fireplace and it's totally shy for the Lopi wood insert. Don't burn in the stove until it the chimney and stove have been inspected by a professional sweep. The first thing they should check is whether there is a full liner on this insert.

If you can post another picture of the baffle area we may be able to help more with the ID. It looks like the predecessor to the Liberty, but I am unsure without seeing if it has secondary tubes and the firebrick baffle.

As you can see, there is no protection for the floor at all in front of the stove. That needs to be remedied. Can you take a picture of the interior of the stove, with the camera down low, looking up at the interior roof of the stove? That is the baffle area.

As you can see, there is no protection for the floor at all in front of the stove. That needs to be remedied. Can you take a picture of the interior of the stove, with the camera down low, looking up at the interior roof of the stove? That is the baffle area.
20211013_173145.jpg
Definitely needs cleaning!!!

That insert would not be worth the price of parts or the labor. I would look for a modern insert and correct the hearth.

Thanks for posting. This is an early Lopi with the baffle is missing. Moving the thread to the classics forum.