Lopi? Quadra Fire? Breckwell? Napoleon? Harmon? Enviro?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not familiar with the issues on the Mt Vernon. But I can't imagine why we cannot hold the company responsible for fielding a product that was not ready. Vendor problems and rushed engineers is the responsibility of the manufacturer isn't it? Also, it seems a reasonable comment by scubasteve that the change in ownership changed the results he was getting before the change. We have all experienced this many times in our industry and we anticipate that things will be similar when another company is purchased by a larger corporation. I'd say it was fair enough that he shared his own experience and that he knew enough to say what he did. It may not be your own view, or experience, but I did not see it as out of place.

Sean

I never said the manufacturer should not be held responsible. I said "the issues with the Mt Vernon have nothing to do with staff changes", which is true.

As ya'll can see, this is my first post to this forum. I don't know much about pellet stoves except I want one. I searched on "Best pellet stove" and this is the only thread that came up. I read all of the posts on this thread and learned a lot, but I do have one question. What if no one in my area sells pellet stoves? I called the established wood stove dealer in town and he doesn't sell pellet stoves because of the problems getting pellets. I stopped in at Home Depot and the sales person in the heating department didn't appear to even know what a pellet stove is. I called Tractor Supply and was told I could order one but they didn't stock them and they were sold out of pellets. I really would prefer to buy a brand name stove on the Internet because it would be delivered to my door and I will be installing it myself. But if pellet stoves require a lot of maintenance which has to be done by an authorized dealer then I guess I'll have to find another way to heat my 1500 sq' open floor plan house. I would like to replace my vent-free propane fireplace/heater with a pellet stove because some of them at least can be direct vented (no place to put a chimney) and I don't want to cut, split and haul firewood. (I did that for 8 years in the 1980s.) I also want to be able to control the room temperature with a wall thermostat. I've read that the Englander line is more suited to the DIY which would work well for me. Can they be direct vented, hooked up to a wall thermostat and are they quiet? Is there another brand that could be ordered on the Internet that would allow me to do repairs, accept a wall thermostat, be quiet and direct vented? Thanks for your input.

I can understand you trying to find the best, but there isn't any. Instead there are several good brands that correctly sized, installed and run will give you years of nice heat. What is best aethetically or feature-wise in one person's eyes, may not be necessary in another's. You'll have to decide what is most important to you.

The Englander is an exceptional value and has great support. That's half the battle right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.