Love me some Tulip Poplar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Matt, you have it nailed, at least the way we see it here at Cheap Acres.

We have a firebox with a chimney. No cats, no heat exchangers, no fans.

Burn it, the house gets warm. Keep it burning, the house stays warm.

Used the regular furnace 40 minutes this season. (4 times @ ten minutes to take off a chill while firing up the pigbelly)

The species of fuel doesn't matter, as long as it's dry enough to take off. I keep the chimney clean and not worry nor care
what's best as long as the AEP guy keeps his hands out of our small checking account.

Sure, we love our oak and ash, but any dry and clean fuel isn't above cremation.

You nailed it. If i happen to buy wood it better not have poplar or the like in it though!

Don't get me wrong, Im not above burning anything that will fit through the door of my pre epa OWB. Since I cut all my wood and mostly target standing and fallen dead trees I target the larger ones, my heater burns smaller stuff up so fast it's not worth putting much effort into processing it.

If I had a smaller wood stove in the house I would have a different outlook on this I'm sure.

Reactions: Woody Stover
You nailed it. If i happen to buy wood it better not have poplar or the like in it though!

Bought oak first Year we moved here, finally got it dry and a stove that actually works. We have tons of poplar and locus on the property (3 oaks that I know of) no pine. I burn what falls, is in the way or someone else doesn't want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have pine and poplar in the stacks. I live in a milder climate and softer woods are still desirable. They are great for the shoulder season, burning down coals, and mixing in with hardwoods when its cold but not frigid.
I don't say no to it.

Reactions: StihlKicking
i don't mind poplar when i cut it or its free.....recently i bought some "mixed hardwood" and about 30% of it was poplar. i sent the load back because i asked for nothing over 18 inches and a ton of it was over 18 inches to 21 inches or more. he was miffed i didn't want it and offered to cut the long ones....nope, i've done that before and what a pita having the short splits. I had never used hardwood and poplar in the same sentence but he swore poplar was considered a hardwood. maybe so, technically, but not my idea of hardwood.. i have a ton of it from a blow down a few years ago. great for starting fires and running when you're awake. not so good for overnights.

i don't mind poplar when i cut it or its free.....recently i bought some "mixed hardwood" and about 30% of it was poplar. i sent the load back because i asked for nothing over 18 inches and a ton of it was over 18 inches to 21 inches or more. he was miffed i didn't want it and offered to cut the long ones....nope, i've done that before and what a pita having the short splits. I had never used hardwood and poplar in the same sentence but he swore poplar was considered a hardwood. maybe so, technically, but not my idea of hardwood.. i have a ton of it from a blow down a few years ago. great for starting fires and running when you're awake. not so good for overnights.

Technically it is a hardwood, but that's BS to try and sell it at same price as better wood

Technically it is a hardwood, but that's BS to try and sell it at same price as better wood
A little bit in the load, maybe, but not 30%. Cord price would have to be reduced.

Yup . . . around here that wouldn't fly at all . . . someone selling poplar as hardwood . . . nope, not going to happen. As you say, it is technically a hardwood -- but a very soft hardwood.

I also have no issue burning the stuff, I keep it separate stack and in a separate bin inside... good to burn on the weekends or days your home all day when it's real real cold.... the fact it doesn't coal is very useful in my opinion when its in the single digits and below because u can constantly feed the stove without the coals building up like with other woods, it's also good to put on that massive coal bed to burn those coals down.... I hear people refer to it as shoulder season wood, but I prefer a wood that coals for that time so I can shut the air wayyyy down, and go a while without adding any wood and find a nice couple chunks of coals to restart a good 16-18 hours later.... obviously I'm not getting any heat at that point but I have good luck finding some coals buried under the ash..... so in my opinion poplar makes a better cold weather wood

I know someone in SW CT with 36" x 80' cottonwood tree in her yard from last year. Some is cut into rounds, and a lot of it still laying. They were talking about hiring a grinder truck to trash it all.

I took some of the rounds and some other oak/BL wood piled up. Let me know if you want the info rygar. Unless you're too overloaded with poplar ;)