Love me some Tulip Poplar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I love the stuff myself as well as pine for a quicker morning warmup.

Everything has a place. Enjoy the balsa wood !!

Really i wont even bother to process poplar burns way to fast with way to little heat for me

Reactions: Fred Wright
i kept my splits a little bit bigger, i put in 3 at time and close the damper where i get a really good 2-3 burns out of oit keeping the room temperature in the low 70s. do have occasional oak as well to add. the oak is only 1 year so not really ready. but mixed with poplar is good.

am currently going through 3 oak trees cutting splitting and stacking that will be burned probably 2019-2020.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I use yellow polar and it burns and heats well for me so far, it has been mild here, since it's getting colder tonight and this weekend, I brought in some oak and locus for longer burns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong at all with poplar. I cut a few loads each year on my dead and down permits from nat forest , pretty common in the coves and hollows here. I just mix it in with everything else. Leaves a ton of ash though.

Is Tulip any better than poplar or cottonwood? I am under the impression that Tulip poplar is different
I use yellow polar and it burns and heats well for me so far
For BTU I've seen 13.5 M for Cottonwood, 14.7 for Aspen (I think they also call it Poplar or Popple up north, correct me if I'm wrong,) and 16 for Yellow (Tulip) Poplar, which is actually in the Magnolia Family. The previous two are in the Willow Family.
I have some Tulip around to use for kindling, but the weakest wood I burn as a load is soft Maple. Got some cooking right now, to tide me over 'til the night load...White Oak and Black Locust. ==c

Reactions: BenTN
Must be nice to be able to heat with tulip poplar. It is in 20's for high and teens for lows and I am running my stove hard to keep up with locust, red oak, white ash and cherry. Guess it is all relative to the house, type of stove and what the weather is.

Must be nice to be able to heat with tulip poplar. It is in 20's for high and teens for lows and I am running my stove hard to keep up with locust, red oak, white ash and cherry. Guess it is all relative to the house, type of stove and what the weather is.
With my little stove, in this loose house, I would wear out the door hinges trying to keep warm with Tulip. :oops:

Is Tulip any better than poplar or cottonwood? I am under the impression that Tulip poplar is different

I'm not sure what your referring to as poplar but tulip poplar is about twice as good as cottonwood, which means it still burns really fast but hot.

This is the kind of poplar I have

99829d80597e6fb8fbad19b5a84510a0.png

I'm not sure what your referring to as poplar but tulip poplar is about twice as good as cottonwood, which means it still burns really fast but hot.
Well, if Tulip was twice the BTU of Cottonwood, that would put it at 27, the same as Flowering Dogwood. I'd be more than happy to trade Tulip for any Dogwood you want to get rid of... ==c
This is the kind of poplar I have
As you correctly said earlier, Yellow (Tulip) Poplar. Evil, tricky stuff, it is. It will sometimes try to fool you with its bark into thinking you have a White Ash to cut. :mad: ;lol

I took home around half a cord of tulip early last spring. It took awhile to figure out exactly what it was until the leaves came out where it was cut. It burns as well as some of my maple, certainly better than pine. Some locust was also amongst the same scrounge.

Well, if Tulip was twice the BTU of Cottonwood, that would put it at 27, the same as Flowering Dogwood. I'd be more than happy to trade Tulip for any Dogwood you want to get rid of... ==c
As you correctly said earlier, Yellow (Tulip) Poplar. Evil, tricky stuff, it is. It will sometimes try to fool you with its bark into thinking you have a White Ash to cut. :mad: ;lol

Done that before.

i have about a cord to buck and split soon. i love it. short burn doesnt bother me much. it dries really quick.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Stihlkicking didn't say twice the BTUs, he said twice as good. I believe that's Mississippi speak for: I got me some tulip poplar, I don't got no cottonwood.

Stihlkicking didn't say twice the BTUs, he said twice as good. I believe that's Mississippi speak for: I got me some tulip poplar, I don't got no cottonwood.

Hahaha I probably need someone to interpret my lingo for some of you fellas. In all fairness I avoid using double negatives 23% of the time.

Well, if Tulip was twice the BTU of Cottonwood, that would put it at 27, the same as Flowering Dogwood. I'd be more than happy to trade Tulip for any Dogwood you want to get rid of.
Honestly I have no idea what the numerical btu value of any wood is. I'm pretty sure that a pound of tulip poplar has about the same amount of btu's as a pound of cottonwood. Side by side tulip seems about twice as dense as cottonwood to me. Which isn't saying much. They both burn hot and fast, I'm not a huge fan of either. As for flowering dogwood, hot burning wood, I usually let it rot where it falls. I'm not cranking my saw for a piece of wood that is less than 6" in diameter no mater how many btu's are packed in it. [emoji16]

Honestly I have no idea what the numerical btu value of any wood is. I'm pretty sure that a pound of tulip poplar has about the same amount of btu's as a pound of cottonwood. Side by side tulip seems about twice as dense as cottonwood to me. Which isn't saying much. They both burn hot and fast, I'm not a huge fan of either. As for flowering dogwood, hot burning wood, I usually let it rot where it falls. I'm not cranking my saw for a piece of wood that is less than 6" in diameter no mater how many btu's are packed in it.
True, pound of any wood will give the same amount of heat. Maybe you don't look at the charts but I'm pretty sure you know from experience how well the various woods heat. The charts have to be taken with a grain of salt; Seems like almost every one I look at has one or two ratings I don't agree with. Here are a couple that match pretty well with what I have found:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/heating-value-of-common-wood-species.148121/
http://www.grit.com/farm-and-garden/best-firewood-btu-zm0z12sozmoo
Many take your view that small wood isn't worth messing with. I have a small stove and I need a variety of split sizes to get as much wood in as possible, so if I'm out there cutting and I see some small dead trees, I grab 'em. A lot of that small dead stuff is ready to go in the stove immediately. Dogwood dries slowly, though, so I usually leave it in the stacks a couple years at least. As far as "leaving it to rot," it will be a while before Dogwood ever rots....it seems to hold up well, even ones I find that are down.

Last edited:
Reactions: StihlKicking
Matt, you have it nailed, at least the way we see it here at Cheap Acres.

We have a firebox with a chimney. No cats, no heat exchangers, no fans.

Burn it, the house gets warm. Keep it burning, the house stays warm.

Used the regular furnace 40 minutes this season. (4 times @ ten minutes to take off a chill while firing up the pigbelly)

The species of fuel doesn't matter, as long as it's dry enough to take off. I keep the chimney clean and not worry nor care
what's best as long as the AEP guy keeps his hands out of our small checking account.

Sure, we love our oak and ash, but any dry and clean fuel isn't above cremation.