Low stove and cat temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 2012
CT
All of a sudden my stove is struggling with the primary air wide open. I can't get past 400 on the stove top and the cat can't get past 700. I don't think the cat is even lighting off because it isn't glowing and there is smoke coming out of the chimney.

This is crazy. Just a few weeks ago it seemed my stove was out of control and had to keep the primary nearly shut. What could be causing this? I am using the same exact fuel.

Have you checked the chimney for clogging or the cap?

Or maybe the CAT may be clogged up?

Reactions: Ashful
Not what someone in the middle of a blizzard wants to contend with. Could be clogged cat or cap. How old is the cat, maybe it at the end of its life

are you drawing your wood from a different pile? cats aren't happy with damp wood.

Reactions: corey21 and Ashful
All of a sudden my stove is struggling with the primary air wide open. I can't get past 400 on the stove top and the cat can't get past 700. I don't think the cat is even lighting off because it isn't glowing and there is smoke coming out of the chimney.

This is crazy. Just a few weeks ago it seemed my stove was out of control and had to keep the primary nearly shut. What could be causing this? I am using the same exact fuel.

Strange that the OP has not posted for 21 hours. Is there another problem?

Still massive power outages in these parts. Here in RI approximately 1/4 of the households in the state are still in the dark...Some parts of CT are just as bad.

I'm back. My Internet was down from the storm. So this problem seems to have resolved itself. I'm wondering if the cat was clogged and the junk finally burned off?

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's tough being a wood burning newb!

At what cat probe temp are you closing the bypass?

I'm back. My Internet was down from the storm. So this problem seems to have resolved itself. I'm wondering if the cat was clogged and the junk finally burned off?

I doubt the cat was clogged and junk burned off. If it gets clogged, you have to do the cleaning so it was a different problem. Glad it is resolved and that you have power again after the storm.

Glad to har it is working again. What CAT temps are you seeing now?

Status
Not open for further replies.