Lowest moisture content encountered?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
For those of you with moisture meters what is the lowest level encountered?

I think it depends on the average humidity where you are. For most of us, I think the wood will reach equilibrium moisture content around 12-13%.

I have had 6% with ash and oak.

I find this hard to believe for the Michigan climate for wood stored outdoors. I had some elm that was 22 years old and read 14% on a fresh split. This wood was stored at my dads in his wood rack off the ground and has a cover. The EMC in Michigan is probably around 12% or so. Kiln dried wood comes in around 6% and will end up back around 12%+ over time.

Attachments

• 300px-Hailwood-Horrobin_EMC_graph.svg.png
    300px-Hailwood-Horrobin_EMC_graph.svg.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 240
I know some of the junk oak sleeper beams we cut up for firewood out of a barn we tore down that was built in 1870 were SUPER dry. Not sure of the exact MC but when we split them they were super crisp and when we burnt them they went up like a match and burned super hot. (Edit: The beams we burnt for firewood were NOT useable for lumber they were shot). So that said, I believe it is quite possible for the MC to get down in the single digits, if the wood is indoors for many years.

Attachments

• Michigan EMC.JPG
    Michigan EMC.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 154
I'd say in NW ohio it won't go under 12% if outside.

I have had 6% with ash and oak.
Being a rookie I read all the threads and figured I was doing something wrong when using the moisture meter. So i went home and re-tested and I sure was doing something wrong. My meter is made of plastic and I was affraid of applying to much pressure and breaking the devise, well I did press it deeper in the wood and my wood now measures 17.5% to 20%, sorry for the bogus post earlier and thanks Hearth.com for teaching me!

I'd say in NW ohio it won't go under 12% if outside.

So here is another question what is ideal moisture content? I know the lower the better but if you are saying 12% for your area then I would be really looking for what is ideal for my area here in NY? All wood will be kept outside and seasoned for 2+ years.

I'd say 17%-22% should burn fine. much lower and it could create problems. Much higher will also create problems.

I measured one yesterday that read 9% and had a few at 12%. I have no idea how long these have been drying because they came with the house. My average is 17%.

fv

In some stoves to dry could cause huffing or an overfire.

I have lots of bw scrapes thats got to be in the 6-8 range. Scronged a dead standing cherry in the same range as well. (Cracking hard off the splitter)

Reason why i ask this is becasue I got some oak from a log that the guy told me has been down since hurricane floyd...stuff is a little punky on the outside but the inside looks great...gave some to a buddy and he said it was 6-8%. He burned some last night and said it was fantastic!

I've had some measure 12% that was cut standing dead, and stored under roof for 2 years. I don't think it can get much below that without some "help", at least in my area.

I've had some measure 12% that was cut standing dead, and stored under roof for 2 years. I don't think it can get much below that without some "help", at least in my area.

This cherry tree has been dead standing for 10 years that I know of. Right behind my work. When I seen Nelsons cutting it down and there 200t bogging down on it I had to ask...They left it for me and it sounds like the "shiver me timbers"! Its at-least drier than a popcorn _art! ( wound not be affarid to work with it either)

Much lower it will cause problems?

As Oldspark said - Pandoras box.
If you season your firewood outside - you will have no problems with "too dry", plain and simple.

Then there is the argument of using wood that is "Too dry", such as kiln dried or whatever. It can actually outgas at a rate that your re-burn technology can not keep up with. It can cause overfires and believe it or not, dirty burning. Blackening glass and causing creosote with visual smoke out the stack.

Reactions: smokinj
As Oldspark said - Pandoras box.
If you season your firewood outside - you will have no problems with "too dry", plain and simple.

Then there is the argument of using wood that is "Too dry", such as kiln dried or whatever. It can actually outgas at a rate that your re-burn technology can not keep up with. It can cause overfires and believe it or not, dirty burning. Blackening glass and causing creosote with visual smoke out the stack.

All my wood is seasoned outside and I don't buy any so wouldn't have any kiln dried.

I got some KD hardwood that was claimed to be @6%, but Southern ON is usually at least 50% humidity, so I would imagine it would equalize fast enough as not to cause overfiring. It burns nice, but not too aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.