LumberWorks Chainsaw Gloves, preliminary review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooserider

Mod Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006
Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
Santa (aka the GF) has been good to me... Just got a pair of these LumberWorks chainsaw gloves. Haven't tried them with the saw yet, but first impression out of the package is very positive...

I own a pair of the orange Husky chainsaw gloves, which I've never really liked. The protective padding is barely detectable, which makes me have little faith in them. They are also the IMHO ill-fitting "one size doesn't fit any" generic gauntlet style, that collects chips in the fingers so that you try and jam them under your nails :grrr: when pulling the gloves on. I've had a long running low key search for a better glove and finally found something I thought would work - LumberWorks chainsaw gloves, that are carried by the fine folks down at Amick's Superstore in North Carolina (Excellent people to do business with, they offer good prices and really terrific customer service)

I like a "technical" style glove, which these definitely are. The back is a spandex like material, but not as stretchy - it is slightly more greenish than the photos show, but not much - certainly these are not high visibility - I suspect they'd be easy to lose if you put them down in the woods. (Product improvement note- possibly a high visibility orange or other bright color might be an advantage...) Unlike some other gloves there is no extra protection on the knuckles, but there is a strip of leather that falls on the first joint of each finger.

Sizing works fairly close, perhaps a shade on the large side - if you are on the border between two sizes when getting gloves I'd probably go for the smaller size, but large works for me as it usually does with other gloves, just a bit loose. (I suspect medium would be too small)

The palms are leather, covered on the outside with what looks like a rubber coated nylon, or similar material, with a few small gel pad patches under it. This material also covers most of the thumb and index finger, with strips of it on parts of the other fingers. This may be a minor problem, as the strips don't always line up with the spaces between the knuckles as well as they might...
The added material should increase the wear over plain goatskin, and feels like it will be "grippy" to make it easier to hold a saw, etc. It might not want to slide if swinging a sledgehammer or other tool though.

The inside of the righ glove is lined with some sort of felt like material, very comfy. The left glove has something more like spandex on the back, still nice but not as posh.

The kevlar padding in the back of the left hand only is very evident. In my Husky gloves it is barely detectable, with these you can definitely feel the difference. The padding covers the back of the hand from just over the knuckles to just below the wrist closure - it is fairly stiff, but doesn't impact dexterity. Not having tested either glove (and not planning to) I can't say which offers better protection, but these FEEL like they'd be a lot more effective.

The glove is fairly long, the cuff is well past my wrist. The cuff is not real stretchy elastic about 2" wide, with a 1" wide velcro closing strip (Like many gloves this strip is on the short side) Depending on what you are wearing on your arms, this may cause interference with a jacket or shirt with snug fitting cuffs, but if you can push them under, or over your other clothes it will make for a highly effective chip barrier.

They do offer a good fit and feel, but are a little stiffer than the gloves I normally wear - between that and the higher cost for them, I'll probably only use them while cutting (and use other gloves while splitting and stacking) but expect they will be excellent for that.

Per the label, the gloves can be machine washed, no bleach or solvents, then air dried.

I'm definitely glad I got them, and am looking forward to trying them with the saw. I think they are a much better product than the Husky gloves.

Gooserider

Attachments

• lumberworks385.jpg
    lumberworks385.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,212
Where are these guys from? Their little Youtube video on Amicks is in French.... Canadian? I like what I see, that is for sure.

Amick's is in North Carolina, but the package tag on the gloves said they were apparently made by Superior Glove which is a Canadian outfit, with Lumberworks as the brand for their chainsaw / woodlot specific gloves. (However globalization strikes again, there is also a "Made in China" label as well, if you care about that sort of thing, I don't....)

Gooserider

In Winter I use leather mitts with kevlar back. IKWYM about the wood chips under the fingernails with regular gauntlet gloves. I keep my nails short when bucking.

Let us know how those do in the bitter cold.

Bigg_Redd said:

Those or some of the other competitors brands of the same basic design are nice, I agree - amazingly warm in cold weather, good durability, comfortable, etc... But NOT CHAINSAW SAFE! I use that general style of glove quite a bit for splitting, stacking or fetching wood, and all sorts of other general work where gloves are useful (Though they are too "grippy" to work well with swinging a sledge / maul / axe) However they aren't chainsaw rated, so they really aren't good for use while operating a saw - which is what these LumberWorks gloves are intended for...

Different tasks, different gloves.

Gooserider

I've hit almost every part of my body with a chainsaw, but never my hands. I can't even think of a scenario in which my hands would be close to a spinning chain.

Bigg_Redd said:
I can't even think of a scenario in which my hands would be close to a spinning chain.
Same here but I'm guessing OSHA has.

Left hand is vulnerable. I imagine that it is on kickbacks were your hand comes off the handle bar. Hand protects your body I suppose. Hard to imagine but it happens.

Bigg_Redd said:
LLigetfa said:
Bigg_Redd said:
I can't even think of a scenario in which my hands would be close to a spinning chain.
Same here but I'm guessing OSHA has.

I think OSHA hasn't got much to say about what I'm doing on my own time.

There are a couple of graphics floating around that allege to show numbers of chainsaw related injuries by bodily area, worth a search. They do show a sizeable percentage of injuries to the left hand, definitely enough to make one think it's worth protecting. The right hand shows far fewer injuries on that graphic - approaching a "statistical zero"

As to OSHA, I agree they don't have much to say legally about what you are doing on your own time. Unlike on the jobsite, OSHA can't come along and slap you or your employer w/ penalties for not wearing required gear, using unsafe work practices, etc... The same applies even more so to Canadian or European government agencies (for us that live in the USA, the reverse applies to those living elsewhere)

However as an information source, minimum standard setters, and so on, such agencies can be useful - I figure that if OSHA says people who do something for a living (and therefore presumably have more practice at it, and know more about how to do it safely than I do as an amateur) should use certain equipment, or follow (or not) certain procedures, it is worth considering whether or not I should do the same.

Given that I don't have access to a full fledged test lab, equipment performance standards may not be perfect, but they will tell me as a shopper that a given product offers at least some level of protection, and has some known properties that I can't otherwise evaluate for myself.

Since they have access to lots of (stolen) research money, and accumulated experience data, they can give useful advice on procedures and techniques as to what works and what is potentially dangerous, etc. (The Canadians have some great info on tree cutting methods for instance)

Now, as a hard-core libertarian, I don't think this is one of the proper functions of government, and strongly believe that if the gov't hadn't hijacked the function, it could be done more efficiently and economically by private entities, (for instance Underwriters Lab (UL) is a PRIVATE company started by the insurance industry interested in reducing claims by defining safe products) but seeing as how we're forced to pay for the services of these gov't agencies (Note - "service" being used in the same sense that a farmer describes what his bull does to a cow...) we might as well take advantage of their advice.

Gooserider

I like ATV / Dirtbike riding gloves. Not to bulky good grip warm enough. I can still feel what I'm doing with them on. I don't like gloves that are so bulky that I can't feel what my fat fingers are up to.

ccwhite said:
I like ATV / Dirtbike riding gloves. Not to bulky good grip warm enough. I can still feel what I'm doing with them on. I don't like gloves that are so bulky that I can't feel what my fat fingers are up to.

I agree, which is why I go for the "technical" style gloves... The leather or imitation leather palm and finger versions I've tried though, don't hold up real well when handling wood, and get real cold once they are wet. I've found the rubber coated knit gloves give excellent feel, last longer, and stay warmer when wet - I use them most of the time when handling wood, running the splitter, or doing other such things that DON'T involve running a saw.

If I'm running a saw, I want chainsaw rated gloves - and the ones I started this thread by reviewing seem to be very good in terms of fit and feel.

Gooserider

For some projects there’s no substitute for leather gloves…

6301771.jpg
At TSC this 12 pack goes for $11.99, I really like ‘em.

…but wood processing and GP outdoor projects are tough on my gloves. For awhile if I put a hole in ‘em they got trashed. Over on the arboristsite site some guy recommended duct tape on those ripped fingers so now I do that. These are so inexpensive that I now enjoy the luxury of having gloves stashed all over.

...just say'en always a pleasure reading one of Gooseriders reviews.

Just as a followup on this thread, after almost a year of occasional use, say a couple gallons of gas through the saws, and about 10 cords of wood between my own stuff and helping a friend, I would say these gloves are a good investment - they have held up well, no major wear issues.

They have been as comfortable to wear as I expected - like chaps they are kind of hot in warm weather, but not unreasonably so. They give a good feel for the saw controls and such, and a very good non-slip grip on the saw itself. The padding does not get in the way or make the gloves at all awkward, and the elastic cuffs do indeed do an excellent job of keeping chips and crud out....

I'm very glad that I got these, and unless I find some thing better (which I don't consider all that likely) I will definitely be getting another pair when these wear out.

Gooserider

I use both the Atlas and the Lumberworks glove. the atlas are great for a snug fit and a good grip. the lumberworks are a real decent fit also but gives a little security while running the saw and a decent ability to grip wood . But after one day of cutting and handling wood i can see if i want the lumberworks to last i should only use them to run the saw. They are both great gloves and i like the combination. My hands have been sliced and diced and broken many times over the yrs. lol metal pins and tendens stitched together. So it may be a long shot as far as a chain getting at my left hand but sheet can happen and for me the lumberworks are on when the saw is running

raven said:
I use both the Atlas and the Lumberworks glove. the atlas are great for a snug fit and a good grip. the lumberworks are a real decent fit also but gives a little security while running the saw and a decent ability to grip wood . But after one day of cutting and handling wood i can see if i want the lumberworks to last i should only use them to run the saw. They are both great gloves and i like the combination. My hands have been sliced and diced and broken many times over the yrs. lol metal pins and tendens stitched together. So it may be a long shot as far as a chain getting at my left hand but sheet can happen and for me the lumberworks are on when the saw is running

My experience has been that wood is very abrasive and hard on gloves - the ONLY gloves I've been able to find that stand up to it well are the Atlas style rubber coated fabric type, and even those only seem to work for a few cords before the rubber starts peeling off them... (I have several pairs with just the thumb and a bit of the fingers worn out that way, I've sometimes been tempted to try "reconditioning" them with a tube of Shoe Goo or equivalent...)Thus I don't hold that against the Lumberworks gloves, as it wouldn't be really fair to expect them to do better than other gloves with similar materials in the contact areas... I also use mine ONLY for cutting, and possibly the minor moving and repositioning needed between cuts. Once I've finished a bunch of cutting and am ready to start stacking or other processing, I switch from the Lumberworks over to the Atlas gloves... Other than the nuisance of needing to carry and keep track of a second pair of gloves, not a big deal...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
raven said:

My experience has been that wood is very abrasive and hard on gloves - the ONLY gloves I've been able to find that stand up to it well are the Atlas style rubber coated fabric type, and even those only seem to work for a few cords before the rubber starts peeling off them... (I have several pairs with just the thumb and a bit of the fingers worn out that way, I've sometimes been tempted to try "reconditioning" them with a tube of Shoe Goo or equivalent...)Thus I don't hold that against the Lumberworks gloves, as it wouldn't be really fair to expect them to do better than other gloves with similar materials in the contact areas... I also use mine ONLY for cutting, and possibly the minor moving and repositioning needed between cuts. Once I've finished a bunch of cutting and am ready to start stacking or other processing, I switch from the Lumberworks over to the Atlas gloves... Other than the nuisance of needing to carry and keep track of a second pair of gloves, not a big deal...

Gooserider

Nice review Gooserider.
I tend to keep gloves stashed in the shed near the splitter, on the tractor, etc., and also have been in an ongoing yet low key search for a durable pair of gloves for stacking and general wood handling. I hate spending 10 bucks on a pair of gloves, only to have to replace them after a couple cords of wood. I would gladly pay more money for a pair that would last at least a season. Can't find any.......yet.
The quest goes on.

PapaDave said:
<trimmed>
Nice review Gooserider.
I tend to keep gloves stashed in the shed near the splitter, on the tractor, etc., and also have been in an ongoing yet low key search for a durable pair of gloves for stacking and general wood handling. I hate spending 10 bucks on a pair of gloves, only to have to replace them after a couple cords of wood. I would gladly pay more money for a pair that would last at least a season. Can't find any.......yet.
The quest goes on.
I have had VERY good luck with the Atlas rubber coated stretch fabric gloves I mentioned above, which I purchase from Cooper Safety Supply - At the hardware store they are $5-6 / pair which isn't bad, but if you get them by the dozen from CSS, you end up only paying $2-3 / pair. Obviously I'd love gloves that never wore out, but these aren't bad, I'd estimate that I get at least 10 cords worth of wood handling out of a pair, plus I use them as my general "go-to" gloves for pretty much any kind of work otherwise. They offer a good compromise between dexterity, protection and long wear... The only limitations I have found with them is they are a little to "grippy" to use for splitting or other tasks like that where you have to slide your hands around, and because of the open fabric on the back, they are no good for chemical protection - say when cleaning a carb or changing oil...

I've even used them when picking up broken glass, and when SCUBA diving.

I actually have two styles that I use - the regular blue "FIT" models in warm weather, and the slightly heavier gray "Therma-FIT" models in cold weather - the latter are amazingly warm, even in damp applications like running the snow-blower, as long as you keep them out of heavy winds and don't keep getting them wet with fresh cold water...

Gooserider

I have those gloves, too. got them fairly recently and can relate on the sizing. I have no complaints and the back of the left hand is well armoured..............

PapaDave said:
Nice review Gooserider.
The quest goes on.

I used to use Ironsometing gloves at $20 a pair that only lasted around 2 cords. Now, I use the Atlas gloves and get over 6 cords/pair at only $4/pair.

Seems like a no-brainer to me!

Gooserider said:
Just as a followup on this thread, after almost a year of occasional use, say a couple gallons of gas through the saws, and about 10 cords of wood between my own stuff and helping a friend, I would say these gloves are a good investment - they have held up well, no major wear issues.

They have been as comfortable to wear as I expected - like chaps they are kind of hot in warm weather, but not unreasonably so. They give a good feel for the saw controls and such, and a very good non-slip grip on the saw itself. The padding does not get in the way or make the gloves at all awkward, and the elastic cuffs do indeed do an excellent job of keeping chips and crud out....

I'm very glad that I got these, and unless I find some thing better (which I don't consider all that likely) I will definitely be getting another pair when these wear out.

Gooserider

If you're that happy with them, I would advise buying another pair (or two) now. I don't know how many times I've found things that I really liked that the manufacturer stopped making.

Status
Not open for further replies.