M55 auger squeak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MAD348

Mar 26, 2017
Ontario
Hello, first time poster here.

I bought an Enviro M55 3 years ago and it has overall been a great stove. I recently replaced the convection fan as the bearings were shot and made too much noise. Naturally now that the fan is quiet again the auger makes an awful squeal. I don't know where it comes from or what I need to do to fix it, any info would be much appreciated!

There is a clip on YouTube so you can hear the type of sound it is making.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Not sure from the sound clip, but the only noise I have noticed coming from my agitator is from 2 places - 1) the straight end that goes into the left side hole needs some anti-seize to keep it from squeaking. But your noise doesn't sound like that, so I'll guess is could be reason 2) which is carbon build up on the burn pot that gets scraped by the agitator turning.

If those 2 reasons are not the culprits, I would open the right side access panel and inspect the chain drive and motor that turn the agitator. If the noise sounds mechanical, then it would come from there. Maybe some chain lube is needed or the motor is dying.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response. I don't believe it is the agitator as I had the right panel off and could see the chain was not moving when it was squeaking, I am certain it is the auger. I just don't know how the auger operates, whether there is somewhere on the auger that needs lubrication or if the motor can make that squeal.

Sorry, I had a total brain fart last night and confused auger for agitator (too much drink possibly). Any how...

Can't tell from the vid which model M55 you have? FS or Cast or Insert? If it is the FS, you should be able to remove back panel with stove running and shine a light on the auger and see it turning. If the noise matches the movement of the auger you know they are related.

I had a similar issue years ago:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/m55-auger-shake-and-noise.100145/

Then I took it apart in the off season:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/m55-auger-and-rust-removal.115771/

I would guess the issue could be

1) some sort of auger jam

2) the motor connects to the auger with a set screw that sits against a hole of the auger pole at the bottom. If the screw gets loose it could be slipping on the pole.

3) or the motor is going bad, but it doesn't sound like it.

If you can see the auger turning from behind the stove, look at it and see if anything is wrong, and if the noise is related to a certain rotation position. Note that the motor is held in place with plastic bushings that allow it to wobble a bit, so you will see the motor moving at times.

Thanks again for the reply.

I believe I have the FS model. I took the side panels off and could see the auger motor moving and the noise corresponds to when the auger turns, could also see the auger motor moving between the bushings. I'll have to disconnect the stove from the exhaust pipe to get at the back panel and should then be able to see better, only issue is then I won't be able to run it at the same time. Is there a bearing that can wear at either end of the auger?

Thanks again for the reply.

I believe I have the FS model. I took the side panels off and could see the auger motor moving and the noise corresponds to when the auger turns, could also see the auger motor moving between the bushings. I'll have to disconnect the stove from the exhaust pipe to get at the back panel and should then be able to see better, only issue is then I won't be able to run it at the same time. Is there a bearing that can wear at either end of the auger?

I would recommend against disconnecting the stove from the exhaust unless you really have to. It is a heavy lift that can lead to other issues (exhaust leaks from pipes getting moved around, torn firberglass gaskets). You want to try to fix it with the stove connected so you can see if the fix worked or not.

I am with Lakegirl on this, first try to spray some sort of lube on the motor shaft so it works its way inside the motor. Get something rated for motors, bearings, with the ability to flow easily into tight spots. You should be able to get a long straw to work its way around and hit the auger. Whatever you get, make sure it is not flammable or wait until the flammability goes away after application.

I would not buy the bushings though. Not until you see that you really need them. I bought them thinking I would need them and I did not, and this was years ago and the original bushings are still going strong.

So first thing to do is try to get some lube on the auger. See if that helps. If the sound is still there, waiting a bit and see if the auger can possibly clear whatever might be jammed in the auger.

I let the hopper go completely empty and took the cover off the auger inside, vacuumed it all out and made sure everything was clean. Didn't seem to make a difference with the sound. I did not spray it with anything at the time, any recommendations on a product to spray it with?

Make sure you apply a bead of high temp silicone on the edge of the auger cover when reinstalling it.

I use a German product called Wurth HHS 2000 - unfortunately it is impossible to find now. But Home Depot has some good choices, so check them out.

Managed to fix the problem. Ended up taking the auger completely out the back without disconnecting the exhaust pipe. Not an easy task but it can be done. Sprayed dry lube all over the auger and wiped it down, feels almost slippery when you're done. Had to wait overnight for the high temp silicone to cure but fired it back up this morning and everything appears to be working well, and most importantly the auger is so quiet you can't hear it turning! Also took the auger motor apart while I had it out and regressed the gears inside as after 3 years of operation it was a little dry inside. Thanks to all for their advice, happy to have a quiet stove again.

Glad you got it done.

Any pictures of the motor being taken apart? What brand/model auger do you have?

No sorry my hands were either covered in dust, grease or ashes for most of the process so I did not get a chance to take any pictures. I don't know off hand what brand/model the auger is, whatever came stock with the M55 FS. The motor was relatively easy to grease as there were 3 screws holding the faceplate on and once removed all the gears were exposed. Wiped off as much old grease as I could and used a brush to apply new, put the plate back on and connected it to power to listen/feel if everything was good. Everything checked out so I put it back in.

Reactions: vinny11950