magic heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the reply,
I positioned the bricks according to the picture fossil put in the forum, it looks like I haven't been uyilizing the baffle correcetly, the flames seem to be rolling around in the firebox now, I noticed the flue isn't heating up as quickly, probably due to the fact it's not getting direct heat anymore, but according to my thermostat the flue temperature is 400 degrees
does this sound like it's burning more efficiently now?

thanks,
Doug

Yes, that sounds about right. Don't be surprised if the stack temps drop and cruise around 300-400. Also check your stove top, it should read higher temps than your pipe. I like to monitor both.

yeah the stove is running hotter, would you recommend a thermostat for stove as well as for the Flue?

Yes, it's nice to see what's going on in both the stove and pipe.

I can see by reading post on the forum you guys are not real fans of heat reclaimer in the flue, I bought one and installed it, to try to make up for the small stove in my big house, do you recommend I take it out?
also, the flue temp is not a hot as I would like, "about 200 degrees" my thermostat says it's in the creosote range. the stove is about 300 degrees, the temperatures have changed since I changed the firebrick location.

Are these temps with the Magic Heat on? It will rob the heat away from the pipe and stove and create more creosote. Is your wood dry and no sizzling? With a full load in that stove you should see stove temps easily over 400.

Turn off the reclaimer and see if the temps rise. I think you would be better off with a fan on the floor pushing the cold air towards the stove.

the fluetemp did rise when I shut off the relaimer, I think i'll take it out the next nice day and try the fan Idea, for right now I'm probably going to have to leave it on for now so I don't damage the components in it, once I take it out I'll run my brush down the flue and give it a good cleaning, I also have the optional blower on the back, I'm not use to the new way it's burning right now, seems to be a lot of hot coals in the firebox is that normal?

Can the baffle in this stove ever get plugged up?

The fire box will get much hotter with the help of the baffle, this is how efficiency is increased. Use that stove blower, it will help push the stoves heat out.

The baffle won't get plugged, it may get a small amount of fly ash on top and at the end of the season just vacuume it out.

hey Pyro,
how's it going today?
question for you, is it normal to have buildup of soot on the outside of the flue by the rain cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.