Mahindra 4540

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I did the same when I changed the oil and filter at 50 hours. I tightened up loose connections hose clamps etc. is the block heater an extra buy? If you can take a pic curious where it is at. Thewoodlands where are u located?

Reactions: thewoodlands
I did the same when I changed the oil and filter at 50 hours. I tightened up loose connections hose clamps etc. is the block heater an extra buy? If you can take a pic curious where it is at. Thewoodlands where are u located?
I'll get you a picture tomorrow morning and post before noon or maybe tonight if the batteries are charged up. I'm located in the Foothills of the Adirondacks south of Potsdam NY.

Reactions: heavy hammer
It is amazing how much those block heaters help when turning over a cold diesel motor.

I thnk they put them in all the tractors they sell so I'm sure they charge for them. I went out to take some pics, if you're looking from the drivers seat this would be in the front right part of the tractor, the big hose goes into the bottom of the radiator.
101_0017a.JPG

Attachments

• 101_0016a.JPG
    101_0016a.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 408
  • 101_0020a.JPG
    101_0020a.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 392
It is amazing how much those block heaters help when turning over a cold diesel motor.
This is what I'm hearing, this is our first tractor so everything was new to us. I'm glad the dealer made the point about having it in, last year the temps weren't bad but the last two weeks have been a very cold stretch.

I don't think I have one of those on my tractor. Thanks for the pic

I'm sure it would be no big deal to get one from the dealer. My little brother is a mechanic, he has replaced the ones on my pickups before. Like u thewoodlands this is my first tractor and the first anything new I have ever purchased for myself. Since I brought my tractor home she has been in the attached garage. I don't even leave her outside in the summer. A block heater is still probably not a bad add on, u never know. But for as long as I can she will be parked inside. Having that building u want will make life much better. Nothing better than keeping your stuff inside dry and warm,

I was checking the chart in the manual and they say check the clamps every 50 hours.
IMHO the one that heats the coolant is preferable, because it essentially heats the entire engine. Heating the oil is better than nothing however. They aren't that expensive, and your tractor should be fitted with a spot for one.
Thanks. How has the 4035 been
I'm sure it would be no big deal to get one from the dealer. My little brother is a mechanic, he has replaced the ones on my pickups before. Like u thewoodlands this is my first tractor and the first anything new I have ever purchased for myself. Since I brought my tractor home she has been in the attached garage. I don't even leave her outside in the summer. A block heater is still probably not a bad add on, u never know. But for as long as I can she will be parked inside. Having that building u want will make life much better. Nothing better than keeping your stuff inside dry and warm,
We're in for another shot of nasty starting tomorrow night. ::-)

...WIND CHILL WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH
SATURDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Dangerously cold wind chills possible. Dangerously cold
wind chills as low as 45 below zero will cause frostbite in as
little as 10 minutes to exposed skin. Wind chills could range
from 25 below zero to 45 below zero.

* WHERE...Portions of northern New York.

* WHEN...From late Thursday night through Saturday evening.

I was checking the chart in the manual and they say check the clamps every 50 hours.

Thanks. How has the 4035 been

We're in for another shot of nasty starting tomorrow night. ::-)

...WIND CHILL WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH
SATURDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Dangerously cold wind chills possible. Dangerously cold
wind chills as low as 45 below zero will cause frostbite in as
little as 10 minutes to exposed skin. Wind chills could range
from 25 below zero to 45 below zero.

* WHERE...Portions of northern New York.

* WHEN...From late Thursday night through Saturday evening.

So far it's been bullet proof, I have around 300 hours on it.

Sodbuster how long have you had your tractor for? Did you do the maintenance on it your self fluids filters etc or you have he dealer do it. I'm wondering since I'm coming up on doing all the fluid and filter changes. I have never worked on a tractor before but the oil and filter seemed pretty easy and I do have a little brother who is a mechanic. The woodlands feel free to chime in looking for any info.

stay warm were getting some pretty cold weather here but not that cold. We have had wind chills warnings at -20 for the last two days outside work has not been a lot of fun.

Sodbuster how long have you had your tractor for? Did you do the maintenance on it your self fluids filters etc or you have he dealer do it. I'm wondering since I'm coming up on doing all the fluid and filter changes. I have never worked on a tractor before but the oil and filter seemed pretty easy and I do have a little brother who is a mechanic. The woodlands feel free to chime in looking for any info.

I've had mine since 2015, traded from a 2 wheel drive Massey, we have a lot of bottom land and I was tired of getting stuck! I'm amazed at what this thing will do. I do all my own maintenance oil, filters, transmission. It's really not that hard if you are handy. If your trans is like mine, it holds a lot of fluid, around 9 gallons. I just used 5 gallon buckets and kept sliding them over till it was done. Way cheaper than having the dealer do it, and it's done right. Not familiar with the 2540, but I did have to buy an extra large diameter oil filter wrench for the transmission filter

We put two loads of wood in and then I scraped the driveway down (not pictured) after the driveway was done I did the new plow zone we made this summer (pic 0024) and the last trail I did goes to the sandpit.

I did plow out near the outdoor fireplace (pic 0023) which brought down some deer, we had about 17 eating what they could find on the backhill.

Attachments

• 101_0021.JPG
    101_0021.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 369
  • 101_0022.JPG
    101_0022.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 401
  • 101_0023.JPG
    101_0023.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 381
  • 101_0024.JPG
    101_0024.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 371
  • 101_0025.JPG
    101_0025.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 358
Reactions: Lone_Gun
Concerning the battery maintainer, I ask today if leaving the ring connectors hooked up to the battery for a quick plug-in could cause the smaller gauge wire damage, they wouldn't say no. I guess that I'll use the clamps until I get a better answer.

Love the tractor as we talked before I just got one about a year I ended up with the 2540. Kinda of like u said different reasons for why I ended up with the 2540. I believe yours is more of a utility tractor which I like. The 2540 seems to have more bells and whistles, not always a good thing. I do think the 2540 had a little more pto hp, which is what I was looking for. I ended up with the 2540 because the price was to good to pass up as well. Anyways I think mahindra makes a beast of a machine. I have a buddy with the 2538 and he beats it and does everything put in front of it.
Did you ever get the " A " Frame for your draw bar or did you do something else to stop it from swiveling? The "A " frame hooks up to the top link and bolts down through the draw bar.
100_0058.JPG

Concerning the battery maintainer, I ask today if leaving the ring connectors hooked up to the battery for a quick plug-in could cause the smaller gauge wire damage, they wouldn't say no. I guess that I'll use the clamps until I get a better answer.

I didn't see the original post re battery maintainers, however, I hooked the ring connectors to mine and they rotted through within a year. Back to clamps.

I didn't see the original post re battery maintainers, however, I hooked the ring connectors to mine and they rotted through within a year. Back to clamps.
Thanks, what type of temps are you in for?

Since I have had mine it has had some attachment connected to it. I purchased a 6 foot finish mower with it, that I use for our place. And right now I have a everything attachment 6 foot box scraper on it. I also want to get a three point snow blower as well. What I'm getting at is the tractor always has something on the three point hitch. I was interested in the quick connect but have not gone that route yet. It did come with that little rubber bungee strap to keep the arms from swinging but that was not on there very long.

leaving rings hooked up wont hurt anything if you are leaving the other end free, just be aware that's charged so if you let it dangle it will ark and possibly drain the battery if it doesn't have a fuse. you could have some electrical tape on it when you are not using it

No kidding by the time you get back most of January should be over, enjoy it!