Mahindra 4540

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
First tractor?

Here's a tip, top off the diesel every time you use it to prevent any moisture/ condensation in the fuel tank. Diesels do not like any moisture in the fuel.

My fuel hangs around for 6-8 month so I always put in a capful of " Power Service" whenever I fill my 5 gallon can

+1 on plugging in the block heater, especially when it's very cold like now. Plug it in 2-3 hrs before your need to start. Probably helps reduce engine wear on start up also

First tractor?

Here's a tip, top off the diesel every time you use it to prevent any moisture/ condensation in the fuel tank. Diesels do not like any moisture in the fuel.

My fuel hangs around for 6-8 month so I always put in a capful of " Power Service" whenever I fill my 5 gallon can

+1 on plugging in the block heater, especially when it's very cold like now. Plug it in 2-3 hrs before your need to start. Probably helps reduce engine wear on start up also
Thanks, do you do the three steps?

1.Clear-Diesel® Fuel & Tank Cleaner
2.Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost®
3.Diesel 9•1•1

http://powerservice.com/winter-toolbox/

3.Diesel 9•1•1

Regarding the use of additives and which ones are more effective, here is a link that will give you hours of reading enjoyment. I use Opti-Lube XPD, if I had a bio-diesel source close by I'd use that. YMMV, but it's worked for me. It worked wonders in my older tractor, in my Mahindra, I think it's just piece of mind. However, I go through about 100 gallons a year.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com...-110/lubricity-additive-study-results-194481/

You can buy a generic one that is magnetic and sticks to the oil pan.
I actually use one of these on my transmission pan on my tractor. I don't like listening to hydraulic pump squeal on cold start ups.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Was in need of refilling the garage after this week of burning. Still was not a very fun day out temp wise but love using my new tractor. I always keep the fuel tank filled. I have 2 diesel pickups so I always have fuel. There are so many different kind of additives in my opinion there is not one better than the other just personal preference. But I like Lucas.

View attachment 219935 View attachment 219936 View attachment 219937 View attachment 219938 Was in need of refilling the garage after this week of burning. Still was not a very fun day out temp wise but love using my new tractor. I always keep the fuel tank filled. I have 2 diesel pickups so I always have fuel. There are so many different kind of additives in my opinion there is not one better than the other just personal preference. But I like Lucas.
Nice setup. I've been using Diesel Power for Mahindra in our diesel but we'll find out tomorrow if it gelled up. The first cold snap it didn't gell up, what Lucas product are you using? If ours doesn't gell up then I'll stay with what I've been using but if it does then I'll be changing.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Were between 0 and -10 tonight. Wind chills are lower but another cold one. I haven't used any Lucas products for the tractor yet just my pickups. I have used their oil stabilizer, fuel additives, and treatment. I have had diesel pickups for over 20 years all outside their whole lives and I have never had fuel gel up, or any problems like that. If you change the fluids and filters when required, and get good fuel you should be good.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I have not tried it yet but I hear sea foam is amazing. My little brother is a mechanic and even talks it up. I have a few cans but have not used them yet. You can use it in the fuel tank, in with the motor oil. Once again I have not used it but everyone that I know that has speaks volumes of it!

3.Diesel 9•1•1

Haven't used any tank cleaner but my tractor gets used < 50hrs yr. Have changed the fuel filter in last 100 hrs though.

I think " Power Service" is a fuel supplement.

IMHO,Diesel 911 is for when you don't do number 1 and 2

We had a regular temp -27 last night so I'm thinking the wind chill was about -42. After taking the battery maintainer off and unplugging the inline heater the 4540 started up, attached are some pictures of plowing the driveway and trails in the woods.

Attachments

• 101_0028.JPG
    101_0028.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 310
  • 101_0029b.JPG
    101_0029b.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 321
  • 101_0030b.JPG
    101_0030b.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 101_0031b.JPG
    101_0031b.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 272
  • 101_0032b.JPG
    101_0032b.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 292
Nice pics looks like fun. We had a pretty cold night last night but not that cold 0 to about -10. I used the tractor again today to move some wood I cut a bunch to refill the stacks I emptied yesterday. The ground was so frozen and the snow like ice I had a interesting time getting the tractor back up the hill at my place. I wanted the ground frozen so I didn't wreck the yard but this was a little much. By Thursday they are calling fo 50.

Nice pics looks like fun. We had a pretty cold night last night but not that cold 0 to about -10. I used the tractor again today to move some wood I cut a bunch to refill the stacks I emptied yesterday. The ground was so frozen and the snow like ice I had a interesting time getting the tractor back up the hill at my place. I wanted the ground frozen so I didn't wreck the yard but this was a little much. By Thursday they are calling fo 50.
Ice can be a groan that's for sure. We have 16 degrees tonight so that's nice compared to -20 at this time last night.

I have some roof raking that I'll finish tomorrow and then check a few things on the tractor, after that I'll go plow the neighbors driveway before the warmup.

all I do for the diesel equipment is only buy the fuel you will use in a couple weeks. the stuff you buy at the pump for a car or truck is already treated for the season and it wont have time to pickup moisture
the newer stuff all sits outside without the warmers too pickups backhoes, dont need anything really. I'm sure it would be better for the engine if the oil was a bit warmer though but I never bought a heater or bothered to plug one in and none of those had wear issues. only fuel from not being run out before it pickup moisture

I bought some of this from our Mahindra dealer today, we'll see how this works. You add 1 oz. for every 15 gallons of fuel, they say it's good until -20.

mahindra-arctic-blast-fuel-additive-for-any-diesel-engine-4.jpg

Last edited:
I sure adding something like that will never hurt, but you definitely seem to be on top of things. Good fuel and proper maintenance is everything. I just ordered the 2 spool kits for my tractor the other day, it should be in about a week or so. Can't wait to run some other implements this year.

I sure adding something like that will never hurt, but you definitely seem to be on top of things. Good fuel and proper maintenance is everything. I just ordered the 2 spool kits for my tractor the other day, it should be in about a week or so. Can't wait to run some other implements this year.
Spool kits, what would that be?

Rear hydraulics, two sets I wanted one for running implements. Such as a snow blower shute, log splitter, etc. I just figured if I was getting one might as well get both then I have them.

We had 5 degrees for the whole day today, we received what we think was 14 inches of snow from the storm so I let the 4540 get warm and then plowed our driveway and some trails in the woods and then headed down to the neighbors to plow the driveway.

Attachments

• 101_0045b.JPG
    101_0045b.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 290
  • 101_0046b.JPG
    101_0046b.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 262
  • 101_0047b.JPG
    101_0047b.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 283
  • 101_0048b.JPG
    101_0048b.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 286
  • 101_0049b.JPG
    101_0049b.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 101_0050b.JPG
    101_0050b.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 264
fun to play with the toys, sounds like a few of my neighbors, their own drive isnt enough apparently. the one down the road with the orange one same size as yours is always going down the road doing everyone elses. blows bad here we get alot of wind we dont have the trees everywhere to slow it down its all open farms. we got about 12 fri night, was all melted. 40s and 50s this week and now back to normal. there are two guys with old tractors they both were playing too yesterday too.

20180113_083134.jpg

20180113_091211.jpg

Heavy Hammer...whats the weight of your tractor? What type of truck and trailer do you haul it with? Whats the total height you can raise that grapple bucket and dump? I am warming up to the idea of getting a small tractor...

Things I have learned over the years:
If it has a block heater use it. Your motor will thank you.
Cold weather is here, I don't care where you buy your fuel additives are your friend...your injectors will thank you.
Increasing service intervals is a good thing- both filtres, and no I don't care how much they cost.
A loader is for scooping...it is NOT a bulldozer. Your local welders won't thank you!
Grease and grease often, I don't think Chinese steel (or any other for that matter) has improved much over the years!
Standadyne fuel additive is expensive if you can find it...it is the best!

Look like you had fun with the tractor, thewoodlands. We got about 6 to 8 inches here went down to like -4 last night. I'm glad last week I got a lot of wood hauled and restacked. They are calling for 40's by the end of the week.

Last edited: