Mahindra 4540

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mine is a bit louder than a standard, but gear meshing is also loud. The purist in me wanted to get a full manual or hydro assist since I learned on a full manual 70hp Ford. I have no regrets with the HST.
Is there any difference in the noise level in the winter compared to the summer?

Is there any difference in the noise level in the winter compared to the summer?
Not that I have noticed. Your neighbor might need a HST hydraulic fluid change. My manual recommends a change every two years or so many hours.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Not that I have noticed. Your neighbor might need a HST hydraulic fluid change. My manual recommends a change every two years or so many hours.
I'm not 100 percent sure but I think he told me he had that done this fall. I think he should let it warm up more but that's just my opinion.

I'm not 100 percent sure but I think he told me he had that done this fall. I think he should let it warm up more but that's just my opinion.
Yes, this is also a good idea. My HST pedals have lots of resistance at startup. Much like a cold manual doesn't like to shift.

Well I started up the Kioti and put the blower and bucket on. I could barely hear the HST.

We received a good three plus inches of snow so I plowed our neighbor's driveways and then came back and did ours, I pushed some banks back so the water can run off the driveway when we get the rain, I also plowed down into the woods for the same reason.

One neighbor I plow for brought us some fresh bread, she came down on her four wheeler. ==c

Attachments

• 101_9974.JPG
    101_9974.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 101_9979.JPG
    101_9979.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 101_9980.JPG
    101_9980.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: Gearhead660
Your neighbors tractor has it always been loud. I wonder if the pump might have something up with it?

Your neighbors tractor has it always been loud. I wonder if the pump might have something up with it?
The times I've heard it, yes.....very loud. One of those times the crazy azz was trying to lift this huge rock with the forks, the tractor was screaming.

He bought his first J.D. before we bought the 4540, he's on his second J.D. because of some issues with the first. I don't think it's a J.D. problem,

Do it only make noise when moving or is it loud when just sitting?

Do it only make noise when moving or is it loud when just sitting?
The other day it was moving when it was whining and the only time I've heard it when it was still he tried lifting that rock that a huge front end loader brought down to his property.

He uses it for logging but his land for that is 20 miles south of here, so I've never heard it much in the summer or fall.

With 1-2 inches of rain coming in with the warmer temps, I finished up plowing two more areas so the water will drain from the lowside of the house down to the northside in the woods.

I also pushed more snowbanks off the sides of the driveway so hopefully the water runs off the center of the driveway to the sides and into the woods.

Since they say we have ice coming in later Saturday night, I greased the tractor,plow,sander and the pto shaft which we'll put on tomorrow.

The fluids should be good but I'll check that tomorrow.

We received a good six inches of snow overnight so I did the three driveways I usually do.

Attachments

• 101_9999.JPG
    101_9999.JPG
    626.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 102_0001.JPG
    102_0001.JPG
    452.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 102_0002.JPG
    102_0002.JPG
    468.6 KB · Views: 169
We received 7 plus inches of the fluffy white stuff last night so I just came in from plowing the three driveways along with some trails in our woods.

Our driveway and one of the other two I plow, I pushed back the banks so we would have plenty of room when we get hit with the next snow.

You're starting to accumulate some snow I guess? Looks like fun playing with the toy. We got 3 heavy inches but its mostly melting off today with temps in the 40's. Supposed to get cold so what don't melt is gonna be there for a bit. I cleared my driveway, The neighbors are trusting in Mother Nature but I don't her or the weather man.

My tractor has a CVT and it is definitely noisier than a gear driven tractor. I put a heater on transmission case to help warm the fluid up in the winter. Yanmar makes a transmission heater, I’ll probably put it in next time I change my fluid.

You're starting to accumulate some snow I guess? Looks like fun playing with the toy. We got 3 heavy inches but its mostly melting off today with temps in the 40's. Supposed to get cold so what don't melt is gonna be there for a bit. I cleared my driveway, The neighbors are trusting in Mother Nature but I don't her or the weather man.
Early on in the winter I'll actually pack the snow down on our gravel driveway but if we have warmer weather which will cause the snow to melt, I'll scrape it down so it isn't all ice when it freezes again.

Attached are a few pictures of the plowing I did today.

Attachments

• 104_0001.JPG
    104_0001.JPG
    379 KB · Views: 169
  • 104_0002.JPG
    104_0002.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 104_0003.JPG
    104_0003.JPG
    406.7 KB · Views: 172
@heavy hammer , we might be looking to trade in our 4540 for an HST (2638) what model is your shuttle shift and how often do you have to shift.

There's nothing wrong with the 4540 but I'm thinking it would be much easier on the wife if she ever needed to drive it.

I really wanted the hydraulic shuttle shift but I'm glad I didn't get one. The HST is really nice, especially for dealing with snow. For years I've been a manual transmission purist, my 22' long diesel Dually is a six speed. There are no regrets on going HST. The only thing I wish for is ground speed cruise control, but I don't think such a device exists for Kioti tractors with the HST. I'm not doing any field/tilling work so it's not a big deal if I don't perfectly maintain a specific speed.

I really wanted the hydraulic shuttle shift but I'm glad I didn't get one. The HST is really nice, especially for dealing with snow. For years I've been a manual transmission purist, my 22' long diesel Dually is a six speed. There are no regrets on going HST. The only thing I wish for is ground speed cruise control, but I don't think such a device exists for Kioti tractors with the HST. I'm not doing any field/tilling work so it's not a big deal if I don't perfectly maintain a specific speed.
We'll see if the dealer has a 2638 in and if they do, maybe we can take a drive over for a test drive.

We put the sander on the 4540 today, just after we did that it started to rain,sleet and then back to rain but stopped when I was putting the tractor in the garage.

Tomorrow morning I'll load it up with sand and do the driveway.

Yesterday was all rain so this morning I scraped the slush off of the driveway and sanded it with the sander on the back of the tractor.

I used 300 pounds of sand today.

Attachments

• 104_0004.JPG
    104_0004.JPG
    332 KB · Views: 147
  • 104_0005.JPG
    104_0005.JPG
    496.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 104_0006.JPG
    104_0006.JPG
    417 KB · Views: 154
  • 104_0007.JPG
    104_0007.JPG
    382.4 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: heavy hammer
On Tuesday morning we woke up to freezing drizzle with some snow mixed in, today that was cleared of the driveway with the 4540.

We hit 34 today so I took the 4540 and pushed the top of the banks back further so we'll have even more room for the snow in February and March.

We only received an inch of snow overnight so since I didn't need to plow, I did a fluid check and greased the plow & tractor. It looks like if I do any plowing, it will be at tonight or tomorrow.

NOAA is still calling for 17 inches of snow from this event for our area.