Maines Choice 2011/2012 season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletizer

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2008
Pellet County N.H.
I know weather has been warm but has anyone burned the 2011/2012 batch's of Maine's Choice pellets yet and are they any better than last year?
I am very hesitant to buy any of these.
I burned some last year and they were not good, Not to be confused with MWP (these are the bags with a moose and a sheep or something sitting by a stove and I think one is knitting a sweater?)

Could be your stove just doesnt like them. I burned some I picked up in Feb and they were great....maybe you got a bad batch? I think its worth it to grab a few bags and see if they are any better.

I have heard a couple of other say the same as IHP. One was very impressed with how hot they burned. I'll try another batch. All new process from what I tried before.

I burned one bag, saw nothing wrong with them.

Hi

I've been burning them in my MT Vernon for about 2 weeks now. There's not much ash, fines and dust are about average. They're about 1/2" - 1" in length. I would rate them good for shoulder use. The heat output was about 50 degrees cooler than the bag of Cubex I burned last Summer, when I had just purchased the stove. So yeah, nothing bad to report. Just don't expect them to get you through the dead of Winter.

EarlyMan

Burned 2 bags, along with a bag of barefoots. They burned as well as the bag of Barefoots.

I'm burning them now. Have 1.75 tons left from last year. I like'em. Not the best, but damn good.

OK, well then thanks all, I will pick up a few and give em a burn.

Did the Maine Choice pellets change from the green and beige colored bag with the two Moose playing cards to something new?

smalltown said:
Did the Maine Choice pellets change from the green and beige colored bag with the two Moose playing cards to something new?

This is what the bag looked like in 2009
P1040093-1.jpg

hossthehermit said:
smalltown said:

This is what the bag looked like in 2009
P1040093-1.jpg

Yep -

That's just what the bags I picked up at Lowes last month look like. After looking at your great photo, I just hope that we can all agree that they're supposed to be mooses and not sheep, cows, or deer! :lol:

EarlyMan

PYRO thanks I thought I had read the bag and or mix had changed. I had used Maine Choice my first year and they were ok. The second year I tried some additional bags, and they burnt lousy. I was surprised to read new posts that that "maybe" now they are ok. I guess I was hoping things had changed.

Could be I am just spoiled burning the OKIES.

I burned 3 ton of those 2009 -2010, andthey worked well for me, also a ton of Corinth, and a ton of Athens that year. Didn't burn any last year, didn't get any this year either, better deal on Athens, but would burn again if I got the right deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.