Mansfield draft issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hondolew

Feb 9, 2019
Maryland
Have a Mansfield model 8011 and I just had a Through the wall pipe and chimney installed. The problem I’m having is keeping a fire going without keeping the front door cracked.
I looked at the manual and it says the chimney must be at least 13 feet high and my installer only installed it at 9 feet is that the issue with the draft?

My guess is "yes"... you are 30% under the minimum before you deduct for the 90 degree turn... our chimney is 24 feet we have no draft issues.

Thank you That’s what I thought I talked to the office Manager and he tried to tell me that’s not the issue but the installers coming back out on Friday! The guy gave me the quote for installing the flu pipe and didn’t even know what kind of stove I had!! I thought they were professionals I guess not.

The minimum chimney height is measured from the floor of the stove, not just the chimney pipe.
Have you checked the moisture content of your wood? It’s most often the reason the fire only burns with the door open.

Reactions: blacktail
Could be wood or draft, eliminate the wood first since its easier.

Could be wood or draft, eliminate the wood first since its easier.
Get a moisture meter at the home store, get your biggest wood, bring to room temp for a day, split it and jam the pins in on a fresh face. 20% or less is ideal.

Reactions: webby3650
Ok will check the wood. But when I leave the door cracked there is pressure keeps pushing the door out and in out in out in it moves back and forth by itself.

Ok will check the wood. But when I leave the door cracked there is pressure keeps pushing the door out and in out in out in it moves back and forth by itself.
That’s not uncommon when the door isn’t latched.
How long has the wood been split and stacked?

Save yourself some time and burn something you know to be dry like bio bricks or pallet wood. I have a manchester and thought I had a draft issue until i learned that it was poorly seasoned wood. Pallet wood burns like hell in my stove so I knew it was a fuel problem and now that I have some dryer stuff its incredibly easy to operate. One thing I will say is that if your hearthstone is like mine its very stubborn to start up until you get a good system down