Mansfield smoking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

threepin

Nov 3, 2009
nw mt
I have a Hearthstone mansfield circa 2009
i have been noticing lately that i have trouble turning down the primary air control without the stove smoking. Too, it seems like the secondaries are not lighting as they had been. I had been reading an old thread on a heritage where it was mentioned that during cleaning debris could fall into and block the secondary air feed- Can this also occur on the mansfield?
Am planning on doing door gaskets, anything else i should look at/consider?
Glass is staying pretty clear, stack is 24', wood is stupid dry (3 year old fir and larch in montana)

Its been a good stove, no visible stone cracks.
Thanks

I had a heritage and there is no way that stuff could fall into the secondary system during cleaning unless you removed the cast iron secondary manifold.

likely causes are that you have a clogged filter on your chimney cap, weak draft due to weather, or wet wood.

Thanks Highbeam
A cleaning is scheduled, going to do gaskets and a general check as well
Wood should be good, all was standing dead and has been cut and split for 2-3 years out of the rain but exposed to breeze- its heavily checked, dropped its bark and light. i'm in NW montana and the summers are like a kiln here

Reactions: Highbeam