Manual thumb oilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Today I volunteered at a wildlife rehab center and we were clearing a new pasture. We got a lot done, which is good, and I'll be going back tomorrow to finish the job. Lunch was spent chasing away some determined 3 legged goats from the pizza.

He had 2 old Echos that had manual thumb oilers. I never knew how much I've been spoiled by automatic oilers. They also had a low speed idle issue where they kept stalling without the throttle depressed and nobody could find a small screwdriver.

I love my automatic oiler so much I'm going back tomorrow with my Stihl. I even threw a brand new chisel chain on it. (I couldn't find my files for the saw. I hate how they keep wandering away.) I'll bring the Craftsman 42CC I use to limb also. I only sharpened the chain up nice on that one. (Those files had not wandered away.)

Matt

Indeed...it's been years since I've oiled my thumbs manually.

Ya Matt. I don't miss them at all although I admit it took me a long time to stop trying to oil the chain. lol

On the screwdriver, are you saying everyone doesn't have a Leatherman? Dang, I'm lost without one.

I carry a pocket knife, but nobody had a wee little screwdriver. I brought my 2 saws today and they were both put to the test. The Echos were left on the sideline.

One guy picked one up, but it wasn't a person I felt comfortable using a saw so I kept my mouth shut when he started complaining about it not running right. I wasn't the only one because he brought the saw to the owner of the rehab center and the owner told him not to use the saw. :lol:

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.