Marking Logs for Length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its already been said but I use the bar also

trailrated said:
I just eye ball it.
I used to do that, but for some reason, the rounds ended up being all kinds of different lengths. Doesn't work well when filling the stove. Only takes a few extra seconds per log to measure, and I'm not in any race anyway.

richg said:
I use an 18 inch piece of dowel and cheap sidewalk chalk from the dollar store. It's foolproof, which is very helpful in my case ;-))

+1

I carry a 19.5 inch dowel in my wood cutting tool box (milk crate) and sometimes I use that and my hatchet to make a notch in the log.
However, there is a mark on the side cover of my Stihl that happens to be right at 19.5 inches from the tip of the bar (16 inch bar) so I use that as a guide. Much quicker. My stove is 22 inches wide so 19 1/2 inch splits work just right.

I don't think I'd ever go to the trouble and expense of spray painting my marks. For one thing, I don't want to be burning paint in my stove.

I just screw some all thread into my nuts and use that....here is the pic ....I am too cheap to buy baileys screw on stick so I made my own

Jeff

Attachments

• 15bar.jpg
    15bar.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 449
[quote author="jhoff310" date="1298268166"]I just screw some all thread into my nuts and use that..../quote]

So tempted to reply... but... must... not ..... :zip: :zip: :zip:

WhitePine said:
jhoff310 said:
I just screw some all thread into my nuts and use that..../quote]

So tempted to reply... but... must... not ..... :zip: :zip: :zip:

Why do you think I worded it that way......gave me a good laugh

Jeff

I have a rope with zip ties every 16 inches. I can make 7 marks at a time. Keeps my hands free for the saw.
I have also used the bar and I have guessed alot also.

jhoff310 said:
I just screw some all thread into my nuts and use that....here is the pic ....I am too cheap to buy baileys screw on stick so I made my own

Jeff

That pic is the "Whip" I spoke about.

jhoff310 said:

Jeff

What material did you use for the whip?

I used all thread, could use anything from a piece of pipe welded to a long nut or whatever tickles your fancy... I love mine I need to make a few more for my other saws

Jeff

I carry a stick that is the correct length and mark with an axe or hatchet.

Tape measure and then use my scrench to scratch a mark. Good thread!

I use a cant hook on a home made handle. The handle is 5'4", with handsaw kerfs every 16 inches. It fits the tractor bucket, and gives me 4 16" rounds when I cut at the splitter. On a long log, I lay the handle along the log, and mark with my chainsaw the whole length, moving the handle every few marks. The hook helps it prop up along the log either on top or the ground. And it is a handy tool to have on hand anyway.

Edit: clarity

I use a 15 inch hammer handle, and a V-shaped wood chisel to gouge
a mark, which doesn't wash off if I have to walk away from a log half way
through. I used to think it was stupidly anal to measure. But then I couldnt'
get a full two cords into my wood shed because it wasn't even enough . . .

Way too much thought and effort going into this in my opinion.

Just use a pair of these. Couple cuts to get used to it and you'll be within a half inch of the desired length every time.

400px-Ray_eye.jpg

Use a Sharpie to mark the EW and NS lengths on the saw.

Very quick in practice.

Better to be a little short than be wrestling with a too long log and a hot stove at 11pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.